Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE Cap?

Options

Comments

• JG3
    JG3 Posts: 11
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    JG3 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    JG3 said:
    I was going to get one but the price of both pieces after just spending a bunch on some EGGcessories and a few other BBQ and cooking toys. Just got my EGG seven months ago, ( I want to get temp control, DiGiQ ? I see BGE has one now any opinions anyone ?) so save some $$ and my friend, his son and I made one today.  :)
    Probably voids your warranty...Unauthorized mod.
    How can it void warranty? Its the cast iron cap with a piece attached to it ? That doesn't have anything to do with the EGG and if that was true the Smokeware cap is a "Mod" and not an authorized product so would that void the warranty?

Yeah funny....
    JG3 
     Large BGE - 14.5 " Weber Smokey Mountain smoker 
  • JG3
    JG3 Posts: 11
    edited January 2019
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    JG3 
     Large BGE - 14.5 " Weber Smokey Mountain smoker 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I am probably going to get one of the new caps from BGE eventually. The reason is purely aesthetic for me. That smokeware cap is butt ugly and completely clashes with aesthetics of the egg in my opinion. Maybe if they had it in matte black finish I would consider it but the design is still terrible looking.
    Ya for sure the way the Q tastes is all about how the BGE looks. 

No its not. But I didn't buy my BGE to have a giant stainless steel Chimney Cap sticking on the top of the egg either. I bought it because I found the look appealing with the black cast iron and the wood. I find the stainless cap unappealing, that's not to say others don't love the way the smokeware cap looks. Just like I don't find the color red appealing. Hence why I bought an egg and not a KJ. If you bought your egg solely for the effectiveness of its cooking ability that's fine. But on my back porch the egg is a conversation piece and if you think aesthetics don't play a major part in that then I dunno what to tell ya. For me that's the 1st thing people say to me is "what's that cool looking green thing"

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    JG3 said:
    What they are charging for these compared to the cost of the Smokeware cap is criminal if you ask me.
    I dont see that.  It comes with every egg, so it doesnt seem criminal.  Now if you feel the daisy wheel doesnt work for you because of an older egg, the extra 5 dollars over a smokeware doesnt seem excessive.  I paid $45 for my smokeware shipped to my door, and I paid $50 at my dealer for the new BGE cap.  The smokeware seems cheap compared to this, having now used both.  I am sure others that have used both as a comparison might have different opinions, but that is my experience.
    I was talking about purchasing them for folks who have the older DFMTs.  

The cost of the new cap plus the rain shield compared to a Smokeware is kind of nuts if you ask me.  If the rain shield were included with the new cap and it was only $5 more than a Smokeware, I wouldn't complain.  But it doesn't.

I actually walked into our local Ace looking to buy these.  But they were also selling the Smokewares.  I asked the dealer why I should pay so much more for what BGE was slinging vs a Smokeware, and he really couldn't justify it either.  It was an easy call for me.  
    What was the price you saw for the new rEGGulator and cap ?
    I mentioned the price earlier in the thread but here's a pix:

I challenge anyone to look at those two items and explain how it is that the rain cap is nearly $30.  
    im selling the stainless version rain cap for $147.95
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    JG3 said:
    What they are charging for these compared to the cost of the Smokeware cap is criminal if you ask me.
    I dont see that.  It comes with every egg, so it doesnt seem criminal.  Now if you feel the daisy wheel doesnt work for you because of an older egg, the extra 5 dollars over a smokeware doesnt seem excessive.  I paid $45 for my smokeware shipped to my door, and I paid $50 at my dealer for the new BGE cap.  The smokeware seems cheap compared to this, having now used both.  I am sure others that have used both as a comparison might have different opinions, but that is my experience.

The cost of the new cap plus the rain shield compared to a Smokeware is kind of nuts if you ask me.  If the rain shield were included with the new cap and it was only $5 more than a Smokeware, I wouldn't complain.  But it doesn't.

I actually walked into our local Ace looking to buy these.  But they were also selling the Smokewares.  I asked the dealer why I should pay so much more for what BGE was slinging vs a Smokeware, and he really couldn't justify it either.  It was an easy call for me.  

I challenge anyone to look at those two items and explain how it is that the rain cap is nearly $30.  
    Good deal.  Does it say “YETI” on it anywhere?  Because that’s worth $50 all by itself.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    JG3 said:

Good deal.  Does it say “YETI” on it anywhere?  Because that’s worth $50 all by itself.
    for you, ill put a yeti sticker on it, first sticker no charge at all
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I am probably going to get one of the new caps from BGE eventually. The reason is purely aesthetic for me. That smokeware cap is butt ugly and completely clashes with aesthetics of the egg in my opinion. Maybe if they had it in matte black finish I would consider it but the design is still terrible looking.

No its not. But I didn't buy my BGE to have a giant stainless steel Chimney Cap sticking on the top of the egg either. I bought it because I found the look appealing with the black cast iron and the wood. I find the stainless cap unappealing, that's not to say others don't love the way the smokeware cap looks. Just like I don't find the color red appealing. Hence why I bought an egg and not a KJ. If you bought your egg solely for the effectiveness of its cooking ability that's fine. But on my back porch the egg is a conversation piece and if you think aesthetics don't play a major part in that then I dunno what to tell ya. For me that's the 1st thing people say to me is "what's that cool looking green thing"
    Ya that makes sense.  Hey did you ever end up buying a muscle car by the way?  I remember you posting a thread where you told us about what you were looking at, I just don’t recall ever seeing if you ended up getting something.  Apologies if I missed it.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2019
    Options
    So you wouldn't buy a beautiful, functional 304SS cap made by Smokeware which is a locally (to me) designed and manufactured product @TEXASBGE2018 because it clashes with your BGE decor? I have them on 2 eggs and have met the owner and designer of their productline.  No corrosion and easy to dial in.  

edited
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    So you wouldn't buy a beautiful, functional 304SS cap made by Smokeware which is a local designed and manufactured product @TEXASBGE2018 because it clashes with your BGE decor? I have them on 2 eggs and have met the owner and designer of their productline.  No corrosion and easy to dial in.  
    Yeah Blake but your eggs are "Butt Ugly" just like mine are I guess.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @JRWhitee and apparently SS tables too?  :grimacing:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I know, it really sucks that it might resemble a kitchen...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Give me your tired, your poor, your daisy wheels......
    New Albany, Ohio 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    Options
    JG3 said:
    Here is where I saw it (below) and got price. haven't been to a dealer in my area that has one but haven't been in a few months, maybe they are cheaper at the ACE hardware, other dealer close to me never seems to have a lot of accessories and always have to order and they screwed me on my last purchase and it took over 2 weeks when they said a week so I don't really want to go back to them and it's the second time they did something similar. If I can get it for the price you posted I'd consider it for sure  Green Egg rEGGulator Top - M, L, XL, 2XL$105.86Amazon.comFree shipping
    Green Egg rEGGulator Rain Cap - M, L, XL, 2XL$59.56Amazon.comFree shipping
    Those prices are from a third party vendor. Third party vendor prices can often be outrageous and not at all related to reality.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    So you wouldn't buy a beautiful, functional 304SS cap made by Smokeware which is a local designed and manufactured product @TEXASBGE2018 because it clashes with your BGE decor? I have them on 2 eggs and have met the owner and designer of their productline.  No corrosion and easy to dial in.  
    Yeah Blake but your eggs are "Butt Ugly" just like mine are I guess.
    In a HUGE coincidence, Jim, many people also find your entire existence offensive.  
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I just went to my dealer today to pick up another during lunch.  The ten they had before Christmas are gone.  In spite of some not liking them (seems more of a butt hurt on $5 price over smokeware rather than the benefits), people are scooping them up.  I like they way they look over the smokeware too.  The smokeware honestly didn't do it for me.  A flimsy piece of stainless that sits high on the egg.  I put it on my new kamado joe jr because that thing didn't come with anything outside of a daisy wheel and I didn't want it filling up with water in between cooks if there is a good snow storm or rain shower.  I think it looks stupid on the top of KJ jr.  But it will have to do.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    You guys crack me up. I didn't mention Décor. I just said I find the look of them unappealing. I'm not knocking the functionality of their product. I'm sure they work great, hence why KJ and BGE are trying to emulate the functionality. I have no problem with stainless steel. I bought a stainless steel Blackstone that sits right next to my egg. I'm sure there are thousands of people out there that love the look of their Nissan Juke. But that doesn't mean that its an attractive car to the masses. Simmer down. You all can keep your steel chimney caps.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    You guys are brutal so what if he doesn’t like the ss cap!?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Ya that makes sense.  Hey did you ever end up buying a muscle car by the way?  I remember you posting a thread where you told us about what you were looking at, I just don’t recall ever seeing if you ended up getting something.  Apologies if I missed it.

Haha. No I didn't. I was really close to buying a Challenger SRT392. But SWMBO has decided she wants a new house. So that has been my focus as of late. I also decided I love the utility of an SUV too much. Now I'm thinking about getting a Grand Cherokee either an Overland or Summit. Maybe the SRT if I feel I really need to be able to gun it every once and a while.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    You guys are brutal so what if he doesn’t like the ss cap!?
    They are all puppies. Bark is worse than their bite. =)

• fishlessman
    Options
    ive egged thru hurricanes with no rain cap =) was even in the boat fishing in a hurricane while the egg just did its thing like its supposed to do. buy what you want or think you need
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The way something looks has got to be one of the most bizarre reasons for not using something related to making BBQ.  You might as well admit that you mostly go by color when picking out a new chainsaw.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    The way something looks has got to be one of the most bizarre reasons for not using something related to making BBQ.  You might as well admit that you mostly go by color when picking out a new chainsaw.

You don't????

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options

My grilled chicken is great I promise....

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    ive egged thru hurricanes with no rain cap =) was even in the boat fishing in a hurricane while the egg just did its thing like its supposed to do. buy what you want or think you need
    Isn't that a Stones song?
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I admit it.  Can I still play?  :)
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I agree to an extent but if you have basically equal options you aren't going to choose the "pretty one"?  Why offer multiple colors for the same vehicle?  All Chevys should be silver, Fords blue, GMCs black...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I agree to an extent but if you have basically equal options you aren't going to choose the "pretty one"?  Why offer multiple colors for the same vehicle?  All Chevys should be silver, Fords blue, GMCs black...
    All things being equal?  Sure.  No argument there.  But I don’t think that applies in this case.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Those things only really make sense to me for people who have more money than they know what to do with.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    They smoke better I am sure  =)
    South of Columbus, Ohio.