Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - YETI-nother Ice Retention Test

Options
Mostly intended as tongue in cheek, but after seeing so many ice retention tests in performing research about a heavily-discounted Yeti Rambler 64 I was considering, I couldn’t help but perform my own little experiment and post the results (if only to draw the intense ire of the anti-Yeti camp).

Bought the Rambler 64 (half gallon) this past weekend. Filled it with ice Saturday at 7:30pm and topped it up with room temperature water (which, based on past experience, melts a lot of ice off the bat). Placed the Rambler in an environment with a constant temp of 70 degrees farenheit and let it be. 

72 hours later, I checked on the results.....

Still going strong. 

Before you you get all worked up and tell me how overpriced the Yetis are, I’ll save you the breath and mention that this cost me about the same price as an RTIC 64.

Only a minimal amount of ice was harmed in the making of this post. 

Comments

• Markarm4119
    Options
    Don't hate on Yet I, the Chinese kid making them needs that $1 a week
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Buy Yeti.
    MAGA.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    i put ice in my rtic45 last january and left it in the sun in the back of the truck. there was still ice in it in march ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    All I’m going to say here is that if it takes you 72 hrs to finish your bourbon slushy, you’re doing it wrong.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I was gifted the Rambler 64 half gallon jug recently. I appreciate the gift but not certain how much use it will get. That said, let me know how the hot test goes....as I see more application (for me) in that direction. Let me say the jug is a sharp looming vessel. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • smokegetsinyoureyes
    Options
    I will admit to having a couple of their beverage receptacles (the horror) and I was actually startled one morning by clinking ice when I picked up the remnants of the prior evening's cocktail.

Wasn't even a big ice cube - tiny cubes from my fridge... just didn't expect the clink.

While others may do it cheaper, at least they do say what they say they do...
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Interesting thing i saw the other day ..... Otterbox, which most of you would consider a legit company, is making knock off Yeti’s now.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I’m looking at the Rambler 20 oz tumbler for coffee. My 11 year old Starbucks travel tumbler is worn out. A coworker has the Rambler and has great things to say. My local Ace carries them and I have frequent spender coupons  =)
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Another 24 hours in, and it’s still goin’ strong. Lots of ice. Just sayin’. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Interesting thing i saw the other day ..... Otterbox, which most of you would consider a legit company, is making knock off Yeti’s now.
    Interesting. I like Otterbox’s branding, etc., but given that I’ve had two of their heavy-duty device cases fall apart after very limited use and within a short window, I would not be enthusiastic about purchasing anything else that they manufactured. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I was gifted the Rambler 64 half gallon jug recently. I appreciate the gift but not certain how much use it will get. That said, let me know how the hot test goes....as I see more application (for me) in that direction. Let me say the jug is a sharp looming vessel. 

Nice jugs!! While researching the Rambler 64, I came across a few vacuum bottle tests that were touting Yeti’s heat retention above all others (and even beyond Yeti’s cold-retention ability). They stated that this is where it really shines. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I almost picked up one those. I ended up spotting this one at Walmart for $14 and its performance is right inline with your Yeti. These are simple double-walled insulated thermoses, they should all work more or less the same regardless of price. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options

64oz of Bloodys to go. Duh! 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

64oz of Bloodys to go. Duh! 
    That is precisely what it was gifted for. Tailgating.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow