Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Dishwashers

Options
Alright friends. Our dishwasher (kenmore elite) is about to die. We are in the process of looking for a new one. We haven’t bought one in a long time. What’s the best bang for your buck with out going broke?  Thanks everyone!
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Mine is on the way out as well. I am pretty sure we are going with a KitchenAide. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I have heard great things about Jenn Air. We have a builder grade whirlpool and it sucks but I’ve heard the higher end ones are much better.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Bosch but word of warning it isn’t a heated dry cycle so if you have a bunch of plastic cups you will need a drying rack. But literally can’t tell it’s running except for the light it shines on the floor. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    P.S. have all kitchenaid appliances minus the dishwasher and will be the last time. Had nothing but issues with microwave, fridge and oven. These units are only 7 years old. And these are far from their base lines. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The Bosch holds bigger sheet pans etc. too. 
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    When we built our house we selected Miele based on experience of a friend who had one more than 20 years trouble-free.  Ours is only 3.5 yrs old but like the Bosch only the light lets you know it's running.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I put in a Kenmore Elite a decade+ ago. It is a relabeled Bosch and has been trouble free so I'd likely go with another Bosch. Since Sears is essentially kaput I wouldn't touch anything from them - haven't heard if they have found a buyer for their Kenmore brand but I'd probably avoid them anyway.
    Have bought a new LG fridge and washer and dryer in the past 5 years or so and they have been trouble free so I might also look at them if I need another dishwasher down the road (I'm assuming LG also makes dishwashers).

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Bosch...you won’t be disappointed. 
    IL 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Whatever brand you decide, get the third rack. It’s a game changer for a BBQer. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Ditched mine years ago and haven missed it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Plastics aren’t an issue with the Bosch if you put the plastics in so that they don’t hold water.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Bosch here too. From what I was told (never bothered to check if it was true), none of the new ones have the heated dry cycle so they can be labeled as energy efficient. I haven't missed it much. Love the dishwasher BTW. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

I was concerned about the drying when we bought our two last year. It hasn’t been an issue and we don’t use the extra dry setting either. It does use a lot of rinse aid thougg especially on the extra dry setting.  

All Bosch dishwashers use a condensation drying process. Instead of utilizing a heating element at the bottom of a dishwasher, condensation drying involves a number of dishwashing elements that work together to efficiently dry your dishes. Condensation drying is more hygenic and energy efficient than drying with a heating element. Additionally, since Bosch dishwashers do not use a heating element, your plastics are safe in the lower rack.

Here's how it works:

• The final rinse uses high-temperature water to make the dishes very hot.
    • The stainless steel tub of the dishwasher cools faster than your dishes because stainless steel cools faster than glass and porcelain.
    • Condensation occurs when the moist air in the dishwasher comes into contact with the cooler stainless steel tub, and turns into water droplets. These water droplets trickle down to the bottom of the dishwashers and are drained.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bosch dishwashers are very quiet. Miele if you have $$ to burn. A friend has a Miele dishwasher  that cost many times more than our Bosch, and service guy has been out a few times in as many years. 

No heating elements in these, as they dry dishes by condensation. Seems to work well, but I use a lot of deli tubs for food storage, and they usually come out wet.  Not a big issue for me though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,390
    Options
    Recalling a prior thread on the subject, found it here:

RE: OT - I hate my dishwasher  May provide some insights.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Go broke: Miele 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Has to be a Miele. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I love my dishwasher. She's vintage 1979 redheaded model.  B)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    Has to be a Miele. 
    We seriously considered them as we have one of their canister vacs. Overall they seemed to be more problematic than the nicer Bosch units. I don’t have time for failing appliances. Our dishwasher runs every day so cost wasn’t the deciding factor. I needed a workhorse. 
  • dmchicago
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    Has to be a Miele. 
    We seriously considered them as we have one of their canister vacs. Overall they seemed to be more problematic than the nicer Bosch units. I don’t have time for failing appliances. Our dishwasher runs every day so cost wasn’t the deciding factor. I needed a workhorse. 
    We run it way more than a household of 2 should. Zero problems.

Cleans sh!t you wouldn't believe. Challenge it.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Woodchunk said:
    Has to be a Miele. 
    We run it way more than a household of 2 should. Zero problems.

Cleans sh!t you wouldn't believe. Challenge it.
    I know. Sometimes on the third run of the day, I’m thinking WTF are we doing?? 
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    I’m a Bosch guy. 
    I here ya!  I bought this one and it's great, quality of Bosch is fantastic:
    https://www.abt.com/product/107799/Bosch-800-Series-24-Stainless-Steel-Built-In-Bar-Handle-Dishwasher-SHXM98W75N.html

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Bosch guy here. Love it.

Brandon - Ohio

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    Has to be a Miele. 
    Can't speak to the vacs, this thread s about dishwashers.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    Woodchunk said:
    Has to be a Miele. 
    Can't speak to the vacs, this thread s about dishwashers.
    I was speaking to the problems with the dishwashers. As mentioned elsewhere above, a couple of service visits in a couple of years on a Miele dishwasher 
  • dmchicago
    Options
    The Miele is the hold my beer of dishwashers. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I hope Miele's dishwashers are better than their canister vacuum cleaners. My first and last Miele appliance.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Bosch.  Most all dishwashers do a great job and are among the most trouble free appliances given the moving parts.

I don't know why we generate so many dirty dishes for two people, but we run a load almost every day.