Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas Chili?

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited October 2018 in Off Topic
So, Texans... Does this look legit? Dunno, never had any chili in Texas. But this has no beans and no tomato, just chilies, beef, an onion and some seasonings. Turned out moderately spicy, but not over the top. Takes about an hour start to finish in the Instant Pot. I like all kinds of chili, beans or not, but this was one of the best I've had.

I split open the dried chilies and removed the seeds. Toasted them in a dry pan, then simmered them in some chicken stock to soften. Then into the blender. I used 3 guajillos, 3 anchos, one dried chipotle and 3 arbol chilies. Oh, and two more canned chipotles in adobo sauce. Just under 4 lbs of chuck, seared before cubing.

This is similar to a recipe I have for Frank X. Tolbert's Bowl of Red except he used some chili powder and cayenne along with a few dried chilies. I used only whole dried chilies. One of Tolbert's (supposedly) recipes even includes an onion.

The recipe I used is from Kenji and is specifically for the pressure cooker. I used my Instant Pot. The only pic I got was with sliced jalapeño, red onion and (too much) cheddar. An earlier bowl with red onion, jalapeño, avocado and cilantro was better. The avocado was fantastic! I will be making this again!

I let it cook a bit too long I think, and the beef really pulled apart more than I would have preferred. Tasted great though!

Would this pass for chili in Texas?

Thanks fer lookin'!

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/pressure-cooker-chile-con-carne-texas-red-chili-recipe.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,416
    Options
    I don't know what you'd call it, but I would smash a couple bowls of it.

Looks good 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Looks good. But Texas Chili can have tomatoes in it so you would have been fine adding those. Well done! The acid in the tomatoes can help cut down on the heat a bit

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I always understood that "real" Texas chili had only beef, chilies, maybe onions and spices. I like tomatoes and beans too - so maybe next time. =) Maybe not though... this was REALLY good!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Looks good! I’d crush that right now. I’m sitting here smelling mine cook down and I’m starving. 

But mine has beans in it. Because this is America and I have the freedom to do that. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I would call it amazing!
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,745
    Options
    Looks great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sounds great. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,927
    Options
    Looks good! I’d crush that right now. I’m sitting here smelling mine cook down and I’m starving. 

But mine has beans in it. Because this is America and I have the freedom to do that. 
    Yep.  You can do that in America.  But not in Texas.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Foghorn said:

:rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited October 2018
    Options
    That looks both authentic Texan and delicious.  If I remember correctly, tomatoes officially became an ingredient when Lady Bird Johnson's recipe was published in the Washington Post.  
    I have been thinking about getting an Instant Pot and your chili just made that decision for me.  Which model did you get?

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Looks legit to me, much better than powdered seasonings - and plus one vote on diced tomatoes, I always add them to my chili.  

As far as beans, officially no, but I add them if I feel like it which is not often.  My usual is to add a can of refried beans or bean dip when the chili is done.  It will melt into the chili, slightly flavor it, but it thickens up the juice to more of a juice/gravy consistency.  I add a can for every 2-3 lbs of meat. 

I much prefer cubed meat over ground meat, just more prep work.  

Just made a batch in the Instant Pot yesterday.  

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That looks great, and qualifies in my book, and yes, tomatoes are typical (though not required) and almost any kind of red meat is acceptable (typically cubed, not ground) and even friggin’ fish sauce (a la Kenji) is a reasonable addition. There are really only two hard and fast rules Texas red-wise:
    - “meatless chile” isn’t chile
    - no beans

As a side note, I did grow up eating a dish made of ground beef, Ranch Style Beans, chiles, onions and spices. It was always on the stove when we rolled into town sometime after midnight (a mere 8 hours from home in Houston, at least when speed limits were lower), served with cornbread and queso — it was called “Hattie Bell Beans” after the lady who came up with it. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    That looks both authentic Texan and delicious.  If I remember correctly, tomatoes officially became an ingredient when Lady Bird Johnson's recipe was published in the Washington Post.  
    I have been thinking about getting an Instant Pot and your chili just made that decision for me.  Which model did you get?
    @Austin Egghead , thanks, Joan. I have the one linked below (6 quart), though I'm not so sure it's worth $30 for a couple of extra presets. Pretty sure that's the only difference. That and a blue screen with some icons that I never remember what they mean. If I were buying one now, I'd probably get the $100 model. If you look at the number of reviews, the $100 one is far more popular. There's also one for $79.

Hope you enjoy it!

Mine...
    https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Plus-60-Programmable/dp/B01NBKTPTS?crid=1F77ASJA5JXY2&keywords=instant+pot&qid=1539521327&sprefix=instant,aps,161&sr=8-5&ref=sr_1_5

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Foghorn said:

:rofl: I just spit my coffee out. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Nice looking bowl there.
    Curious why the chicken stock and not beef to hydrate the chiles?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Nice looking bowl there.
    Thanks. I like this even better than Cindy Reed's chili! Quicker too!

As for chicken vs beef, several reasons... First, that's what the recipe called for. Secondly, I have yet to find a low or even reduced sodium beef stock. Third, I'm too lazy to make real beef stock from scratch. Finally, Kenji explains in an article about beef stew...

Beef Stew Rule #6: Use Chicken Stock, Not Beef

We're making beef stew, we oughta use beef stock, right? Not so fast. Unless you're making your own beef broth from beef bones, meat, and vegetables, I would highly recommend sticking with store-bought or homemade chicken stock. Canned or boxed beef stock is almost always inferior in flavor to boxed chicken stock with more flavor enhancing chemicals and less actual beef.

I use low-sodium Swanson Organic chicken stock (you want to use a low sodium stock because we're going to reduce it later on—a full-salt stock will get too salty). Chicken stock is fantastic because it's essentially a blank sauce, stew, or soup canvas. It picks up and enhances other flavors so well. Bolstered with the sautéed vegetables, browned beef, and aromatics, even chicken stock winds up with great, natural beef flavor. But it can still use a little bit of help.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/food-lab-follow-the-rules-for-the-best-all-american-beef-stew.html

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Nothing like a bowl of hot chili on a chilly day!!~~
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Nice looking bowl there.

As for chicken vs beef, several reasons... First, that's what the recipe called for. Secondly, I have yet to find a low or even reduced sodium beef stock. Third, I'm too lazy to make real beef stock from scratch. Finally, Kenji explains in an article about beef stew...
    Making your own stock is one of the highest value per effort things going.  Just roast the bones on your egg when you’re wrapping up another cook, and throw them in a pot.  We just throw it into quarts and freeze.  Plus, it is also high on the list of hipster snotiness...”Oh, you BUY stock”?
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    20stone said:
    Hotch said:
    Nice looking bowl there.

Making your own stock is one of the highest value per effort things going.  Just roast the bones on your egg when you’re wrapping up another cook, and throw them in a pot.  We just throw it into quarts and freeze.  Plus, it is also high on the list of hipster snotiness...”Oh, you BUY stock”?
    I make chicken stock occasionally and you're right, it is FAR superior to anything in a box! It actually as color! Not to mention flavor.

I don't usually have beef bones though. The occasional steak is about it. I cook far more things that could USE beef stock than I do things that MAKE beef stock. And then there's the storage issue. I don't have a freezer (other than the fridge one).

I may have to remedy this soon though... I so wanted to be a hipster!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut