Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

San Antonio and Austin

Options
SWMBO and I are headed to San Antonio this weekend.  Getting there Thursday, doing a little work on Friday, and leaving on Sunday.  What are some good restaurants we should try out?  Wife demanded a good burger for one of the meals.  Also, looking to stop in Austin for lunch on Thursday....where should I go for BBQ?  Not sure if time will permit going to Franklins but that would be my first choice.  Would it still be really bad if we got there Thursday around 10?
Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
Hotty Toddy!
Mansfield, TX

Comments

• TexasRebel
    Options
    Apologies for not using the Search function initially.....looks like Micklethwait an la BBQ are on top of the list so far
    Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    As far as SA goes- the classic burger there is from http://www.chrismadrids.com/, looks like they burned down and are rebuilding but are open in a trailer now.  If you end up at the Mercado the wife and I also usually have breakfast at https://www.mitierracafe.com/ usually but I prefer https://www.lamargarita.com/ for any other meal.

For me BBQ in Austin is #1- Styles Switch, #2 La BBQ- but I also hit up some local spots because Im generally too lazy to go to that effort.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Go visit the Riverwalk in SA if you've never been there. Plenty of restaurants to choose from. 
    Gittin' there...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hopdoddy for burgers in either austin or San Antonio. You will not be disappointed. 

Was just in San Antonio last week and found this little gem in The Pearl district. if you like salty meats, I have not had any better than this. Cured at Pearl. Beautiful restaurant and amazing food and drinks. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You might enjoy Loro in Austin. You can get Franklin’s brisket (although finished with Thai “sauce”). It’s been a hit to everyone I’ve suggested it to. Go to Mickelthwait or Valentina’s for great quick bbq. LeRoy and Lewis for “new school” bbq from a trailer. Took a cooking class from Evan LeRoy last Saturday. He’s a talented guy and his beef cheeks are to die for. Smoked 4 hours then confit in smoked wagyu fat for another 4. Top pic are sliced cheeks and bottom is barbacoa (shredded and fried on a griddle in wagyu fat and served as a taco). Have fun! 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Btw- you are at least a 5 hour wait if you show up to Franklin’s 10am on a Thursday. More likely they will be sold out of brisket by that part of the line anyway. If the weather is bad you have a shot but then you are standing in the rain for hours. Try the others mentioned and go on with your day. You aren’t missing much with any of those places and you will be done in 30 minutes. 
  • HurricaneEddie1
    Options

I was in Austin last week and did Franklins.  I went on Friday at 7:45 AM and I was 30th in line.  I ended up eating at 11:45.  The food was well worth the wait.  It doesn't seem you have the time to wait, so Micklethwait's is a good alternative.  I went there on Thursday at 10:45 (15 minutes before opening) and I was the only person there.  The food was good, but not as good as Franklin. 

Other BBQ, I was told that Salt Lick (about 20 min outside of Austin) is superb.

Non-BBQ...  Uchi (sushi) was amazing.  The chef of this restaurant (along with Aaron Franklin) opened Loro (mentioned above).  I also had ramen at Tatsuya... very good.

Cooking on a LBGE and MM down in Miami, FL.
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    I defer to @The Cen-Tex Smoker for Austin BBQ, but can validate that Hopdoddy is amazing. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    You might enjoy Loro in Austin. You can get Franklin’s brisket (although finished with Thai “sauce”). It’s been a hit to everyone I’ve suggested it to. Go to Mickelthwait or Valentina’s for great quick bbq. LeRoy and Lewis for “new school” bbq from a trailer. Took a cooking class from Evan LeRoy last Saturday. He’s a talented guy and his beef cheeks are to die for. Smoked 4 hours then confit in smoked wagyu fat for another 4. Top pic are sliced cheeks and bottom is barbacoa (shredded and fried on a griddle in wagyu fat and served as a taco). Have fun! 

Oh, lord jesus.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options

Other BBQ, I was told that Salt Lick (about 20 min outside of Austin) is superb.

Non-BBQ...  Uchi (sushi) was amazing.  The chef of this restaurant (along with Aaron Franklin) opened Loro (mentioned above).  I also had ramen at Tatsuya... very good.

Salt Lick is a great experience/atmosphere, but the BBQ is not on par with the best of Austin.

+1 on Loro
    + 1 on Stiles Switch
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options

check out this thread for some ideas.  Lots of great recommendations and even a few photos.  Loro was the best tasting but it's more of a casual normal restaurant with counter service but the food was all fantastic.

Mickelthwait is outdoor but was very good.

Stiles Switch is what I would call a classic BBQ joint, I may have just gotten a not so great piece of meat as other reports give it a much better grade.  It was good just not great for me.  It was really busy and is liked by a lot of locals so that says something.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1215387/26-hours-in-austin-tx#latest