Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anyone make seasoning grinder at home?

Options
so I got another fresh batch of jalapenos and habaneros from a friend's garden. I was thinking about drying them and then making him and I a seasoning blend to put in a grinder

anyone have any recipes for this they use? I am thinking things like granulated onion, granulated garlic, peppercorn, coarse kosher salt, the dehydrated pepper flakes, and who knows what else. 

so looking for any recipe you might along those lines and what kind of ratios we're looking at 

thanks!
Boom

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Just smoked and dehydrated Thai and Serrano chilis ...after the dehydrate destemmed and seeded ....about 2 cups crumbled dried chili, 2 TBS garlic and onion powder 2 TBS paprika 3 TBS oregano blend to a powder ...you will never buy chili powder again.,..

There really is no way wrong, just run with it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Two thoughts:
    1. This sounds awesome, and I can’t wait to see how it turns out, and
    2. You see a lot of whole smoked and dried peppers in Mexican markets.  If you watch (cultural appropriation warning) “Mexico - One Plate at a Time”, you’ll see chef rehydate and then puree whole peppers for sauces, rather than having them stored in little pieces (which might shorten shelf life).  I’d be tempted to go that route. (ps - that is how @caliking and I seasoned the noggin in the barbacoa thread)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I would plan to keep most of them as dried whole peppers. That way you can grind some for your seasoning blend as needed, and also have some available for the rehydrate and puree method (which is a great technique).

And cumin! I love cumin on just about anything, so I vote for some finding its way into your seasoning blend.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I get so many of these fresh peppers that I can get more if I ever wanted to use for re-hydrating

I am going to dehydrate this week so still looking for suggestions. I will probably pick and pull from different ideas

Also, is there a grinder anyone recommends? I want to make enough for at least two 
    Boom
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    caliking said:

I would plan to keep most of them as dried whole peppers. That way you can grind some for your seasoning blend as needed, and also have some available for the rehydrate and puree method (which is a great technique).

And cumin! I love cumin on just about anything, so I vote for some finding its way into your seasoning blend.

Agree I forgot to mention that is this recipe 

Just smoked and dehydrated Thai and Serrano chilis ...after the dehydrate destemmed and seeded ....about 2 cups crumbled dried chili, 2 TBS garlic and onion powder 2 TBS paprika 3 TBS oregano 2 TBS Cumin blend to a powder ...you will never buy chili powder again.,..

There really is no way wrong, just run with it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Whatever equipment you use for the operation needs to be dedicated to the pepper project going forward or sterilized before any other use.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I use a Burr Grinder. It's a coffee bean grinder that gives a much more consistent grind than anything else I've tried.

I've dehydrated onions and garlic for my rubs. You have chop them first then dehydrate. It's a pain here on the coast because the humidity wants to keep them hydrated then they gunk up the grinder. I haven't found a perfect solution for this yet.  

Don't dehydrate them inside... Your wife will kill you and everyone will run around for a week with eyes watering lol.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum