Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disappointing bark results/remedies?

13»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @TEXASBGE2018 Given you are the reviewer, what's your take on the outcome;  bark, taste and texture? 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Turned out great. Bark is much better. Perfect smoke ring. Texture was on point. I say Success.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Good work! Looks fantastic, and that's a beautiful smoke ring. 
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • Looks great!  
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I’m going to second the suggestion about sugar. I use 1 part sugar and 2 parts each salt and pepper. You don’t taste any sweet. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    lousubcap said:
    @Jupiter Jim  - you may be the Christopher Columbus of turbo briskets and great results.  Several here have given it a go and been quite satisfied with the outcome.  Disclaimer- I have never intentionally set out on such a cook but have occasionally had an unplanned turbo experience mid-cook which required non -prescription (adding ice cubes to the fire) actions to restore the cook.
    It's all in where you land, "any landing you walk away from is great"-same with a brisket cook.  Most fun you can have with the BGE. 
    So now I just ordered the the Hard Core Carnivore Rub for delivery tomorrow. Would you recommend it on the SRF Black Brisket instead of Salt and Pepper?
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    I stashed an SRF Gold in a buddy’s fridge before my move and cooked it a couple weeks ago when I went to celebrate Anniversary with SWMBO.  He has same setup as mine so I seasoned Franklin style but didn’t have opportunity to let set in fridge overnight but really didn’t see a big difference in flavor or bark profile.  I don’t wrap during cook and didn’t spritz.   Made some imitation burnt ends from a couple of chuckles and they were amazing...made before, but the coke made a big difference...helped me really stay alert.  JK it was the liquid soda version. 

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Way to work through it @TEXASBGE2018 !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Have you tried a simple Pepper, salt, + Coffee ground rub?  

Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Glad you're heading the direction you wanted. I never got too concerned about bark color. I use a basic Garlic Powder + Kosher Salt + Coarse Black Pepper rub and usually wind up with a dark brown bark that tastes excellent. I've never been able to achieve the "meteorite" look that's black as coal and I'm not bothered by that. To be honest, the only brisket I've had that was that dark was at Stubbs in Austin. It tasted like it had been dipped in creosote and that's not a rabbit I'm going to chase.
    Michiana, South of the border.