Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disappointing bark results/remedies?

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Let’s see a pic of something seasoned before it hits the egg. From the looks of the spotty color/bark, I believe you are undeseasoning your protein or not applying it evenly. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Call the Cap.   @lousubcap

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Let’s see a pic of something seasoned before it hits the egg. From the looks of the spotty color/bark, I believe you are undeseasoning your protein or not applying it evenly. 
    Now that I’m looking back at pictures. You might be on to something. I felt like I’ve been absolutely covering this stuff in rub but it appears I haven’t. Maybe I need to bump it up another 200% at least on the brisket. I think I ended up putting more on that one though.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2018
    Options
    That brisket is probably not the best example. I know I’m normally putting way more than that on it. I think I took that one in the middle of seasoning. I’ll try way more rub than I think I need next time and see if that helps. It’s also odd though because I’ve watched and talked to Aaron Franklin about that and he told me not to over season, just a light layer....

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Not sure what to add since I get this colour all the time. 

5-6hours of smoke at 272 then foil to finish. What temp are you cooking at?

i find water in the pan or spritzing too much makes for a less dark bark 

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    This is a screenshot from Aaron franklin seasoning his brisket. He barely puts any rub on it at all. As far at temp. I cook them between 250-275. I’m not a stickler for exact temps

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    That brisket is probably not the best example. I know I’m normally putting way more than that on it. I think I took that one in the middle of seasoning. I’ll try way more rub than I think I need next time and see if that helps. It’s also odd though because I’ve watched and talked to Aaron Franklin about that and he told me not to over season, just a light layer....
    That might be the case with a stick burner that cooks in a drier environment.  Here is a before/after brisket on the egg. No wrap, no water pan, no gimmicks. 

Yep that’s it then sir. I’ll try that next time.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Now that I’m looking back at pictures. You might be on to something. I felt like I’ve been absolutely covering this stuff in rub but it appears I haven’t. Maybe I need to bump it up another 200% at least on the brisket. I think I ended up putting more on that one though.

That liquid in the pan can’t be helping.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

That liquid is fat drippings.

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I’m gonna try next time to remove most of the fat cap and season more liberally. See if that works. Thanks for all the input folks. Also I will try only adjusting the bottom vent as opposed to both. It’s funny, I’ve done a dozen or more low and slows on this egg so far and I’m only just now getting irritated by the lack of color on my bark. I guess that’s what I get for watching marathons of BBQ pitmasters every weekend.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    A lot more seasoning and you'll take it home as suggested by @DoubleEgger.  Leave 1/4" of the soft fat.  I don't wrap but it works both ways.  Good luck.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited September 2018
    Options

Or injected saline solution (Kroger) mixed with some drippings. That’s a lot of drippings in that pan especially for where you were in the cook timeline. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited September 2018
    Options

Or injected saline solution (Kroger) mixed with some drippings. That’s a lot of drippings in that pan especially for where you were in the cook timeline. 
    I did notice that. This one was super bloated. I got one over this past weekend and it was much better. It said “dry” on the package I guess that meant less injection.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I just don't think a Ceramic cooker is going to give you the same deep bark development or intense smoke flavor of an offset.  Adding more wood chunks or chips is just going to increase the acrid/bitter smoke.  This is something I've had to accept since downsizing from a 250 gallon stick burner. I've learned to love the egg for other reasons I didn't expect though, and it's probably not something anyone in my family or friends notices - just me.  I'm probably going to purchase another texas-style offset next year for both flavor and capacity.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    @SonVolt I see that in my future as well. I’ll still use the egg 90% of the time but for low and slows I may switch to a stick burner and use the egg for low and slows where I can’t sit and watch the fire all day and night.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Nothing further to add other than reinforce laying the rub to it (with a healthy load of pepper).  I am now in my brisket rub transitional period where I have moved off the homemade salt, pepper, paprika and some garlic rub. 
    I liberally apply Hardcore Carnivore Black and it yields a true meteorite every time.  However, I almost always run nekked to the finish-line. 
    To me the color is quite secondary to the texture and taste it adds to the finished product.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

Maybe if I can borrow from one of my previous cooks and an image(not mine) from the internet.

This is what I keep getting over and over (My Image)

IMO it is wet in those spots, your spritzing is doing it....washing away the seasoning 

I would agree with you but maybe I wasn't clear. I have tried spritzing, but I've also mostly done it without spritzing.  In the image above, this was done without any spritzing at all. Also given that most BBQ spots in Texas spritz and still obtain the dark black color I don't think its doing much to remove the rub.
    They likely cook on stick burners, not a Kamado...I spritz on my stick as well. Do you add a water pan or wrap? You need to pan in a Kamado
    True they do. I don’t add water but I do put a drip pan. That’s the one thing I haven’t done yet is add water. I’ve always been under the assumption based on opinions in here that the kamado doesn’t need a water pan. Also, I usually don’t wrap at all. I just let them ride until done I only wrap in butcher paper once removed and letting it rest.
    lkapigian, I believe, made a typo. No water pan in the Egg. I have also seen some people add apple juice or other liquid to their drip pan. I would advise against this as well.
    Yup, to late to edit, no pan...thanks @Photo Egg
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I did not take the time to read all the above, are you not happy with the flavor and texture? Does the bark add flavor? or is it just for looks?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I did not take the time to read all the above, are you not happy with the flavor and texture? Does the bark add flavor? or is it just for looks?
    It’s just the look. The texture and taste are fine. I’m just OCD about the bark being dark rich black

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, I personally feel if the flavor and texture are what I want it's Golden. I have been in the BGE world for many years and have read many post about no bark using a BGE, if you want that look you need an offset cooker that will give you the look you are seeking. Feeding it real wood all night long. When I first started BGE cooking I thought I needed the LOW and SLOW cook, bark, real BBQ and very quickly figured out that pulled pork at 250-400 was just as good as 220-225! Brisket turbo cooked just as good, less time and great taste and texture. Oh and I get to sleep. I don't care if it's not Real BBQ as long as the flavor and texture are what the wife and I like. Your no less of a Chef if your finished product doesn't have a thick bark and I'm sure the people that have had your food are not sitting around saying oh that Brisket was good but had no bark. Hope my rambling on and on have helped.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim  - you may be the Christopher Columbus of turbo briskets and great results.  Several here have given it a go and been quite satisfied with the outcome.  Disclaimer- I have never intentionally set out on such a cook but have occasionally had an unplanned turbo experience mid-cook which required non -prescription (adding ice cubes to the fire) actions to restore the cook.
    It's all in where you land, "any landing you walk away from is great"-same with a brisket cook.  Most fun you can have with the BGE. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    didn't read any of the posts, but add sugar
    What type of lump and wood are you using?

The wood chunk type is going to effect color of the final color of the meat as well.

Cherry will certainly give a red tone and you'll get a blacker color using post oak.

Keep your rub light - just salt and pepper, trim to 1/4" fat cap, use post oak chunks, don't spritz and use a drip tray if you want to help capture the drippings. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    What type of lump and wood are you using?

The wood chunk type is going to effect color of the final color of the meat as well.

Cherry will certainly give a red tone and you'll get a blacker color using post oak.

Keep your rub light - just salt and pepper, trim to 1/4" fat cap, use post oak chunks, don't spritz and use a drip tray if you want to help capture the drippings. 
    I use hickory or post oak exclusively. Usually I do exactly what you described. I normally don’t spritz. Whether I’ve done that or not the color is the same. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the fact that it’s a mixture of recently using meat church holy gospel which has a ton of paprika in it along with uneven application of the rub. I’m going to try going back to just salt and 16 mesh ground pepper and making sure it’s applied more evenly.

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Get rid of spritzing, wrapping and water pans. Air dry meat for 24-48 hours before cooking (or more who cares) on a wire rack in your fridge. I season just before throwing it on the smoker. 

If I did this routine on my offset it would end up with dried out meat. But on the egg, due to the lack of air flow it works like a dream.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • 82grillmaster
    Options
    Have to agree. I was starting to miss the bark of the offset after 5 yrs of BGE, but accidentally air dried a pork shoulder in the fridge for about 18 hrs (forgot the lid). I was shocked that the deep bark was back, and that is my go to now.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    So tried it again. Here are the results. Prime packer. Salt,pepper, and garlic powder.