Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Yakima, Thule, or what?

Options
2»

Comments

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Mickey said:
    MJG said:
    Go with whatever you can find on Craigslist and the like. I have a combination of Thule and Yak for about .30 on the dollar.
    SO RIGHT! The topper retails at $400+ and I paid $75 from my parts mgr as he was putting in a garage sell. The GM bike rack was free as he got a high dollar super light one and tossed me this one  that is fine with me. Look around.
    I priced a set up a few year back just for a large cargo box and crossbars and it was close to $800. I was brand agnostic. Spotted a large Thule cargo box, that opens from both sides, and a set of Yakima crossbars on Craigslist for $250. Dude took $220 and we were both happy. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I use a 1UP hitch rack. In a word, its builtlikeatankfrom billetcncmadeinusaexpensivebadass.  =)
    Gittin' there...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,485
    Options
    For your reading pleasure- when I saw the thread title I immediately thought Yakima, WA and Thule, Greenland.  Wondered about the connection but then, upon reading a couple of posts realized I have no outdoor/car carrier knowledge.
    Same deal when I moved to Kentucky around 20 years ago-every time I read UK I thought United Kingdom.  Didn't take long for me to lose the long-game. 
    Perhaps I will get one right soon...   ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,633
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Legume said:
    Got it @YukonRon

I like that idea vs a full width box, I could see using one or the other, or both.
    The rack or the hard box can easily accomodate all the ski gear. We put our childrrn's snow boards, our snow boards, and skis in the rack, plus boots helmets gloves, etc., in the rack, no issues. Get a good gear bag, and you are set.
     I like the top storage boxes.  The biggest issue I have is hoisting a body up there.  It is a major pain.      I have heard.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,990
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Legume said:
    Got it @YukonRon

I like that idea vs a full width box, I could see using one or the other, or both.
    The rack or the hard box can easily accomodate all the ski gear. We put our childrrn's snow boards, our snow boards, and skis in the rack, plus boots helmets gloves, etc., in the rack, no issues. Get a good gear bag, and you are set.
     I like the top storage boxes.  The biggest issue I have is hoisting a body up there.  It is a major pain.      I have heard.
    @Ozzie_Isaac

It was a royal PITA, the first couple of times. Once you figure out a system, the rest, while not easy, did not take as much time as the first 5 or 6.

You got this.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,182
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @Legume and @YukonRon you guys are the best kind of friends.  Ones who will help you hide a body :wink:
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,117
    Options
    I have a Yakima Space Cadet Hard Cargo box for the top, it covers basically all the roof of my Nissan Rogue.  The one I had previous I liked better as it "kept" the settings for the rails- this one I have to crank on/off each time.  Thanks to my in Laws for destroying the first one.

Sometimes I wish I had the longer skinnier version where I could also have a bike rack and cargo box.  I likely could with this but it would be tight.  I also wish I could just rent the sucker once a year that I use it vs taking up all the garage space.

As far as hitch mount- everyone I bike with has the 2/4 bike KUAT rack.  I've put my bike on theirs a few times and they are nice.  Not sure if they all have it but one guys had a bike stand built in so we could do repairs as needed.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    i think once you get up to 4 bikes and a roof top, a small trailer is the way to go
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    We have a Thule one had it for probably 9 years and it still works just great, just got back from a trip to SC with it.  it does have the feature to release it so you can get it in the back lift gate.  highly recommend it.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options

We have an older version of the Thule 956 bike carrier for 2" hitches. Solid as a rock, tilts down, holds four bikes. I would note that if you don't have 'normal' frames, you might need one of those accessory bars you put between the seat post and frame, to give you something to hang from. Doing it over, I'd go for one of the 'tray' styles that you rest a bike on, instead of hang it from. Then again, ours probably has more ground clearance...

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I’d avoid the types of racks where the bikes are hung/suspended.  The bikes and their moving parts move around more and they can be tricky with different frame shapes.   

Someone mentioned 1UP hitch rack, I have to agree that they are the best and that will be the next brand I go with.  Haven’t researched adding up to 4 bikes but I know it wouldn’t be cheap.  
  • Legume
    Options
    i think once you get up to 4 bikes and a roof top, a small trailer is the way to go
    I agree, but I don’t expect to use both together that often, but want to ability to do so.  I just don’t like bikes on the roof for an SUV height roof, but also want a solution that handles camping equipment, skis, fishing rods, etc. Bike hitch will go into either SUV or truck.  Box will go on top of SUV for additional storage.  Most of the time, two bikes, but sometimes four.
  • Legume
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    I’d avoid the types of racks where the bikes are hung/suspended.  The bikes and their moving parts move around more and they can be tricky with different frame shapes.   

Someone mentioned 1UP hitch rack, I have to agree that they are the best and that will be the next brand I go with.  Haven’t researched adding up to 4 bikes but I know it wouldn’t be cheap.  
    yes - I've had a couple of hitch racks before, through the frame kinds and they were a huge PITA with kids bikes and non-standard frame geometry. Kid-sized girl-framed mountain bikes were the worst.  I like the racks that the wheels are supported in, but not many 4-bike options and I agree about clearance, at least from pics.  Looking more.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't been pulled yet
  • Legume
    Options
    Maybe the buffalo needs a bike rack.  Or they’re too busy freaking out about billboards.
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    I'm probably going 1-Up next too, haven't decided between the Super or Heavy Duty version 2". Likely start with the double and have the option to add up to 2 more.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,363
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,148
    Options
    Heya!

rei is starting their Labor Day sale 8/24. Racks are supposed to be 20% off...  FYI

check code “extra20” after the 24th that stacks on top of existing discounts at outlet, maybe other stores as well. Good luck!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I bought a YAK. I like being able to open both sides, and the locking system. Attaches easy to the roof racks, durable and a ton of room. 

I also went with a Yakima for the top of the minivan.  I mean SwaggerWagon.

being able to open from either side is really nice.  once the clamps are adjusted (which is easy) you never have to change them.  getting it up, and clamped into position, is easy for me (short) and wife (shorter).
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Kuat make an absolutely bomb proof rack that has been often imitated, never duplicated.  Heavy D AF and makes the 1 up look like a bargain. =)
  • jrj3rd
    jrj3rd Posts: 17
    Options
    Have both Yakima and Thule boxes.  really no difference between the two.  Would recommend you shop local Craigslist and buy whatever comes up that fits your needs.  Bought most recent Yakima box for may daughter to move across country for $90 rather then the $500 list.  Had been used twice.  Folks don't like to store them.

1 LBGE - 1 KettlePizza - 1 seldom used Weber Summit

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,117
    Options
    @legume sorry but I missed the window to get a Yakima Rocket Box for you for $100 earlier.

jrj3rd said:
    Folks don't like to store them.
     I hate storing mine in the Garage takes a bunch of space and I probably only need it one or two more times before the kids are gone.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I ditched my cheap Saris strap on rack that was scratching the paint on my trunk and bought a 1Up USA hitch rack this year. It was expensive but worth it. Just hauled my bike on a 1,600 mile road trip and the rack is sturdy. They make racks for 1 to 4 bikes.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.