Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Yakima, Thule, or what?

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,627
Looking for both top of car storage (hard box, not softsided) and hitch bike rack.  I don't have a huge preference for how the bikes attach to the carrier (eg through frame vs supporting wheels), as long as I can open the liftgate.  4 bike capacity, road bikes to mountain bikes and will be using in the mountains, so need something that doesn't sway around constantly, 

Yakima and Thule are the obvious names for quality stuff, but wondering if there are others to consider for either top storage or bikes on back.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I heard RTIC was coming out with just the apparatus your looking for.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I have a Thule that I have zero complaints about.  We got it at REI, so could use a divedend to contribute to the price, and then it contributed to the next dividend.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Legume
    Options
    I heard RTIC was coming out with just the apparatus your looking for.
    Dude, catch up.  That was just an internet rumor, it's actually KJ.  I think they're calling them Joe's Big Rack and Joe's Big Box, or something like that.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I bought a Thule this summer and have no complaints. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Options
    @SciAggie and @Acn

Bought Thule what?  hitch bike rack or top of car cargo?  Any insight on why you went w/Thule vs Yakima?
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Legume said:
    @SciAggie and @Acn

Bought Thule what?  hitch bike rack or top of car cargo?  Any insight on why you went w/Thule vs Yakima?
    Sorry, top of car cargo carrier. Our bike rack is Thule too, but it isn’t a hitch carrier.

I don’t think we did a serious comparison - my in laws have a Thule and a few co workers also have them; and nobody we know has a Yakima, so we went with consensus.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I bought a YAK. I like being able to open both sides, and the locking system. Attaches easy to the roof racks, durable and a ton of room. 

I looked at the others out there, and just when I was about to buy, these went on sale at Costco. No brainer at that point. Essentially a lifetime warranty, my lifetime anyway.

Thule has some features that are nice, and would be an excellent choice too. For us, I like what we have.

I have a SAR body rack next to it on the roof. It seems to work out pretty well as a combo.
    Great for firewood, fuel cans, large tents or canopies, and many other uses as well. I would recommend that as well.

Bike rack for the top or universal on the back?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    A little Kentucky chrome and that'll have you covered like a Jimmie hat ! 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Options
    @YukonRon thanks.  Have factory rack and crossbars on roof that match with Yak and Thule.  Looking for hard box, preferably low profile and long enough for skis for the roof.  Bikes on back in some kind of a hitch rack.

So you have a narrow body box on top with a basket next to it?
  • Legume
    Options
    @tarheelmatt lmao.  Kentucky chrome, that’s a new one to me, but I’m sure I’ll be using that soon enough.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I’ve had the same Thule T2 hitch rack for 6 years and it’s still just as good as it was new.  The first couple of years I had it the thing was often out in salt air being parked less than a football field away from the ocean.  No rust issues and all the plastic has held up over the years.  I do wipe it down from time to time but that’s about it other than natural washes when it’s being used in the rain.

I’ve even extended it for 4 bikes with a borrowed adapter but it gets quite heavy with that on.  Here it is with the 4 bike setup (only 2 bikes on though).  

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    We have had roof top, trunk mount and hitch mount bike racks but now only have one and we love it for its ease of use in getting the bikes on and off. It is a Swagman XTC. Now ours is a two bike, not four, but they do make a four up, Swagman XTC4. I don't know about liftgate clearance, but it might be worth checking out.
    For us, if anything happened to ours, or it turned up missing or something, I would go back with the same one without hesitation.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Also regarding the Thule T2 with 4 bikes, it is stable and does not move around but does limit your angles if going up/down steep grades while off roading etc.  I’ve heard really good things about North Shore racks for more off road capabilities.

http://www.northshoreracks.com/
  • Legume
    Options
    Swagman, gotta love the name, I’ll look it up.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yakima four timer bike rack.   Bought it on amazon. No complaints except from my kids when I wake up on Saturday and let them know to cancel all their plans “we’re going on a family 20 mile bike ride”.  Best thing was that I wrapped it as a “family Xmas present”. this past year.  It looks a lot like the Thule others posted. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have a Yakima mat for my truck tailgate which I really like.

I also have a Yakima Spare Ride 2 (spare tire mounted).  It is ok.  Super easy to install, looks nice, but two main issues:

1.  Design issues, the bottle opener feature is neat idea, except the little metal tab is able to hit a bike frame if you are not careful while loading/unloading.  I removed the tab which helps, but now no bottle opener.

2. My son's BMC Speed 3 and my Titus Motolite will not fit without the top tube adapter which is a PIA.  My wife's Specialized Epic (hard tail) fits fine.

I prefer the racks that the bikes sit on, but my Jeep with oversized tire and barn door swing will not fit a hitch mount with the platform.  I tried a Swagman which was really nice, but had to retun it.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Sorry.  I bought the hitch mount. I didn’t do any serious comparisons against other brands -my local bike shop made a good deal. I went with a hitch mount because it transfers more easily from vehicle to vehicle. I once had a roof rack and liked it, but when I traded cars  it was a pain to change racks. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Legume said:
    @YukonRon thanks.  Have factory rack and crossbars on roof that match with Yak and Thule.  Looking for hard box, preferably low profile and long enough for skis for the roof.  Bikes on back in some kind of a hitch rack.

So you have a narrow body box on top with a basket next to it?

If you look very close, you can see the rack next to the hard body yak.
    The Yak can hold  a ton of stuff, a bit more than 6 foot in length,  about 28" wide.

I like this combination a lot. I am sure you can find a similar basket rack by most manufacturers. I bought this at an auction of  a Colorado SAR for surplus material. I bought some U bolt connectors, and it works great.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I have a four bike rack that swings down.  Thru the frame.  Next time I get off my ass I’ll go see the brand. 
  • Legume
    Options
    Got it @YukonRon

I like that idea vs a full width box, I could see using one or the other, or both.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Dammit I lied.  I got a refill and didn’t go downstairs.  Next time. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    These both work for me in retirement very well. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Legume
    Options
    Thanks @Mickey.  What brand/models are those?
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Go with whatever you can find on Craigslist and the like. I have a combination of Thule and Yak for about .30 on the dollar.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • theyolksonyou
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Mine looks like mickeys.  Softride

Not my rxact model. Mine swings down. 
  • Mickey
    Options
    Legume said:
    Thanks @Mickey.  What brand/models are those?
    the topper is YAKIMA SKYBOX and the bike rack is GENERAL MOTORS, not seeing anything else. The GM bike rack is heavy as hell. Good for 4 bikes.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    MJG said:
    Go with whatever you can find on Craigslist and the like. I have a combination of Thule and Yak for about .30 on the dollar.
    SO RIGHT! The topper retails at $400+ and I paid $75 from my parts mgr as he was putting in a garage sell. The GM bike rack was free as he got a high dollar super light one and tossed me this one  that is fine with me. Look around.

• YukonRon
    Options
    Legume said:
    Got it @YukonRon

I like that idea vs a full width box, I could see using one or the other, or both.
    The rack or the hard box can easily accomodate all the ski gear. We put our childrrn's snow boards, our snow boards, and skis in the rack, plus boots helmets gloves, etc., in the rack, no issues. Get a good gear bag, and you are set.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    edited August 2018
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Legume said:
    Got it @YukonRon

The rack or the hard box can easily accomodate all the ski gear. We put our childrrn's snow boards, our snow boards, and skis in the rack, plus boots helmets gloves, etc., in the rack, no issues. Get a good gear bag, and you are set.
     I like the top storage boxes.  The biggest issue I have is hoisting a body up there.  It is a major pain.      I have heard.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin