Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fast brisket?

Options
Skrullb
Skrullb Posts: 666
edited August 2018 in EggHead Forum
i cooked my first packer last night. I put it on around 11 and ran all night 250-260, and it’s done this morning at 8! This is an 18 pound giant, and it’s done in 9 hours!? It’s 205-210IT and probes tender. I used a Smoke thermometer so I know my temps were right. I was expecting 12+ hours, but now it’s FTC. I guess dinner will be earlier tonight....
I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    That’s quick but temps and probe don’t lie, was it a prime? More fat content cooks quicker.
    Jacksonville FL
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    That is an extremely fast cook if your egg temps were accurate. Mine have typically been cooking on the other end of that spectrum. At 265 mine have been averaging 1.25-1.50 hours per pound. Crazy cows.

XL BGE
    MD
  • Skrullb
    Options
    Dobie said:
    That’s quick but temps and probe don’t lie, was it a prime? More fat content cooks quicker.
    Yes it’s prime. I can’t believe it, but it appears to be done 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Been there. Had a 13 pounder take only 7 hours at 240F.  You can either 1) eat early, 2) cool and reheat, or 3) figure out how to keep it above 140F until dinner time (a good cooler and reheating with hot towels might work).

If you decide to use the oven as part of your process make sure it is wrapped well in foil to avoid drying it out. And I probably wouldn’t use the oven for very long. Others may have different opinions. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I've seen some hi-speed briskets in that temperature range but not that quick.  I've had 'em finish at around 0.7 hrs/lb; about the fastest.  Is the 18 lbs post-trim?? Also the fact that you used the Smoke thermo does not make it accurate w/o checking.
    I would boil some water and insert the thermo just to eliminate any doubt.  FWIW-
    Anyhow, enjoy the follow-on eats.
    The friggin cow drives the cook. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skrullb
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I've seen some hi-speed briskets in that temperature range but not that quick.  I've had 'em finish at around 0.7 hrs/lb; about the fastest.  Is the 18 lbs post-trim?? Also the fact that you used the Smoke thermo does not make it accurate w/o checking.
    I would boil some water and insert the thermo just to eliminate any doubt.  FWIW-
    Anyhow, enjoy the follow-on eats.
    The friggin cow drives the cook. 
    No, 18 before trim. The thermometer is accurate. I know my dome thermometer is pretty accurate, but wanted to use the Smoke just in case. They were within a few degrees of eachother. 
  • Skrullb
    Options
    Dome thermometer pegged at 250 all night, Smoke said 258. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Thanks for the above.  Don't know the source of the protein but I have trimmed a good 2-3 lbs from Costco prime packers in the past.  And of late it seems the quality of the initial brisket butcher cut has gone down hill.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skrullb
    edited August 2018
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks for the above.  Don't know the source of the protein but I have trimmed a good 2-3 lbs from Costco prime packers in the past.  And of late it seems the quality of the initial brisket butcher cut has gone down hill.  FWIW-
    It was from Costco. I did trim a lot of hard fat from it. But even 14-15 pounds I was expecting to take over 12 hours  lol
  • Skrullb
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Must’ve been the FOGO super premium lump. Haha
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I had a 17pound pre trim brisket last weekend get to temps of 190 in about 6 hours. In some spots it was even showing 200 on the temp probe and like buttah. But other spots it was 178. Mine ended up taking about 12 hours total before it was truly finished and was awesome. Did you check the temp in multiple locations on the thick part of the flat. I’ve noticed at least with my weber igrill that once the probes are left in a certain place long enough they settle in to a temp for hours without budging. I figured they were fine but if I use my thermopen in that same spot it reads 10 degrees colder. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Skrullb
    Options
    I had a 17pound pre trim brisket last weekend get to temps of 190 in about 6 hours. In some spots it was even showing 200 on the temp probe and like buttah. But other spots it was 178. Mine ended up taking about 12 hours total before it was truly finished and was awesome. Did you check the temp in multiple locations on the thick part of the flat. I’ve noticed at least with my weber igrill that once the probes are left in a certain place long enough they settle in to a temp. But if I use my thermopen in that same spot it reads 10 degrees colder.
    Yeah I probed it all over 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Skrullb said:
    I had a 17pound pre trim brisket last weekend get to temps of 190 in about 6 hours. In some spots it was even showing 200 on the temp probe and like buttah. But other spots it was 178. Mine ended up taking about 12 hours total before it was truly finished and was awesome. Did you check the temp in multiple locations on the thick part of the flat. I’ve noticed at least with my weber igrill that once the probes are left in a certain place long enough they settle in to a temp. But if I use my thermopen in that same spot it reads 10 degrees colder.
    When are you planning on eating? The reason I ask is that if you aren’t planning to eat till like 6pm you could probably let it stay on a bit longer without the temp increasing too much. You could probably let it even get to 203 IT or so before it starts to dry out. Maybe take it off at 10am and then FTC it till 6. Just make sure to let it sit out on the counter for 20-30min prior to FTC

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Sorry I realized you said it was already at 205

• Skrullb
    Options
    Skrullb said:
    When are you planning on eating? The reason I ask is that if you aren’t planning to eat till like 6pm you could probably let it stay on a bit longer without the temp increasing too much. You could probably let it even get to 203 IT or so before it starts to dry out. Maybe take it off at 10am and then FTC it till 6. Just make sure to let it sit out on the counter for 20-30min prior to FTC
    Yeah it’s wrapped and in the cooler already. Dinner was gonna be around 6 but it’s being moved up several hours now!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Freakin' briskets. Once you think you know, you realize you don't really know.
    Cow wins every cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky