Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody here egg a full pork belly as is and not just curing and slicing like bacon?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
This weekend I had a buddy near NO who doesn't post on any egg forums ask me if I ever egged a pork belly as is. I said no and he said he had eaten some of the best pork in his life cooked as a whole piece, but didn't know how to do it.  Any pointers or recipes out there would be appreciated!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    I have cooked 1 that way. I cooked it low n slow with a typical butt rub. I remember it being good but definitely not the best of my life. My Costco has them all the time for a $20 - $30 investment. I say give it a shot...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I’ve done burnt ends a few times and they’re always good. This was All Things BBQs recipe with smoked pineapple pico. It’s fantastic
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Ron- I do a whole pork belly every couple/few months - love 'em in sammiches or tacos.  Low and slow and let that fat render.  I've 

Tell your friend that he may run into nipples on some larger bellies and those can be a bit off-putting to an unsuspecting diner.

@SGH would tell you that a Muhle r41 is easily capable of removing a nipple.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Pork belly burnt ends are the way to go here Ron, without question.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @RRP - I really focus on answering the question asked but here I am taking liberty with "egg a full pork belly as is and not just curing and slicing like bacon" offering.  Please pass along the following to your near NO (not SGH??) friend as this is a great recipe:
     A winner every time:
    And here is a link to a slightly modified approach that is an enhancement from my perspective:
    Pork Belly Burnt Ends-Malcom Reed with @Sea2Ski's adaptation
     FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Ron, you’re a good egg doing that man’s typing and internetting for him.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Too late to edit the above but here's another recipe that works quite well and may qualify:
    https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/resources/pork-belly/  Clearly adaptable to any cooker.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Pork belly burnt ends are to die for!
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Ron, have you thought about pork belly burnt ends?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    Options
    Ron, have you thought about pork belly burnt ends?
    No - like I said I really just posted this request for a buddy who is not on this or any other BGE forum.
  • Legume
    Options
    Sometimes a pork belly with skin has hair still on it.  Any suggestions for removing this hair?
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Legume said:
    Sometimes a pork belly with skin has hair still on it.  Any suggestions for removing this hair?
    There is several ways to remove it. You can scald and scrape the meat. You can shave it with a very sharp knife or razor. You can burn it off with a torch. If you are pretty good with a knife, you can even remove a thin layer of the skin with a filet knife which will remove the hair along with the small amount of skin. For this trick the meat needs to be pretty cold or it can be a real struggle. It don’t need to be froze, but for ease of application it should be between 33 - 35 degrees. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    APL has a pork belly recipe also
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited August 2018
    Options
    SGH said:
    Legume said:
    There is several ways to remove it. You can scald and scrape the meat. You can shave it with a very sharp knife or razor. You can burn it off with a torch. If you are pretty good with a knife, you can even remove a thin layer of the skin with a filet knife which will remove the hair along with the small amount of skin. For this trick the meat needs to be pretty cold or it can be a real struggle. It don’t need to be froze, but for ease of application it should be between 33 - 35 degrees. 
    @SGH How about the Muhle R41?
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Legume
    edited August 2018
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SGH said:
    Legume said:
    @SGH How about the Muhle R41?
    Thank you.
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    Ron - I did this a couple years ago, haven't tried since: https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1201822/pre-christmas-pork-belly

Been meaning to do the burnt ends method but still haven't done it yet.  It was alright whole and then sliced, but from what I've seen on this forum the burnt ends appears to be a much better product.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Meat candy!

Michiana, South of the border.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Inadvertently, yes.  I was smoking some belly I cured and got drunk, passed out.  Woke up sprawled on the couch and floor.  Was about to crawl into bed and realized I was smoking some bacon.  Took an internal temp and it was around 210F.

Pulled it off, wrapped and threw in the fridge, then crawled into bed.

It's still there, need to cut it or do something with it.

I've had belly in numerous forms through the years.  Burnt ends, candied, floating in a bowl of ramen soup, and just smoked like a brisket. 

Conclusion:
    1. Fat is delicious
    2. Has unhealthy amount of fat, ergo, delicious
    3. Super unhealthy
    4. To mitigate #3 above, eat small amounts or cook the bejesus out of it.

Cooked pork belly burnt ends and took to a buddy's birthday party, sorry no pics. They were absolutely the "belle of the ball ". When asked for the recipe after too many barley pops, told the curious lot to Google Malcom Reed.
    CRS !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • RRP
    Options
    A big THANK YOU to all you guys who shared your eggperience! 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Cooked pork belly burnt ends and took to a buddy's birthday party, sorry no pics. They were absolutely the "belle of the ball ". When asked for the recipe after too many barley pops, told the curious lot to Google Malcom Reed.
    CRS !
    Pics or it never happened. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen