Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Induction burners - heat up time

kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 2,388
Those of you with induction burners. . . the plug in the wall kind. Portable. 

I'm being lazy and want a straight answer,  not what sales literature says.

Could I turn it on,  cook eggs,  eat and wipe down in 15 minutes?  Thinking maybe carbon steel pan for reduced heat up time. 

I hate using the microwaves at work.  We don't have one at home. I have fresh eggs from my chickens and a microwave does not do them justice. 

Any input appreciated.  

LBGE - 36Blackstone
Grand Rapids MI

Comments

• NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 17,216
    edited August 14
    Yes you can.
    Microwave eggs...blah
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • No doubt. They are as advertised 
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 9,676
    I don't care for the one I have honestly.  I got it to hopefully use for frying outside so I don't have to do it inside with the smell, etc.  

I haven't used it for just eggs though, so it might be good for that type of thing.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 28,324
    abso-fuckin-lutely

• kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 2,388
    Yes you can.
    Microwave eggs...blah
    I know. 

I picture myself with my cut up veggies eggs and corn tortillas.  Mmmmmmm.

Thanks for the quick responses! 
    LBGE - 36Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 4,272
    edited August 14
    SV a sh*t load of eggs ahead of time, nuke as needed 
    Visalia, Ca
    I don't have an SV @lkapigian but that would work too. 
    LBGE - 36Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GGrillin'GGrillin' Posts: 60
    edited August 14
    I have this one that I used before we got our new induction range.  Comes up to temp quick and the surface cools down pretty quick if you remove the pan after you finish.  Carbon steel pans work well.

https://www.amazon.com/NuWave-Platinum-30401-Precision-Induction/dp/B075VL9LBW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1534212599&sr=8-4&keywords=nuwave+induction+cooktop+1800w

It has 5 degree steps for temp control.  Make sure to get the 1800w version.  The ones with less power don’t work as well.
    Gil Gowing 
    Clermont, FL
    Large BGE - MiniMax BGE
    kl8ton said:
    I don't have an SV @lkapigian but that would work too. 
    Anova Nano just went on sale 99.00
    Visalia, Ca
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,916
    Love mine from Amazon. 
    Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

I've been looking at them to replace my little LP Cannister burners for remote cooks 
    Visalia, Ca
  • blastingblasting Posts: 6,004

A couple points on the induction burners.  The better ones have more heat graduations.  I've had a cheap one in the past, and going up by 20 degree increments when you're trying to find a perfect simmer point is less than ideal.  Likewise, the more expensive ones have a higher heat capability.  This is helpful for deep frying.  When dropping cold food in it, I'll crank it to 460 to give it a fighting chance to maintain a temp north of 350.

Phoenix 
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 7,000
    So instead, you're gonna set up a mobile kitchen in your break room at work?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
    My only advice would be to ONLY buy one that Ron Popeil endorses.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 13,793
    I don't care for the one I have honestly.  
    Care to elaborate? 
    thetrim said:
    Thats the idea.

LBGE - 36Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 13,793
    kl8ton said:
    thetrim said:
    Thats the idea.

Light the mini max during AM break and you’ll be good to go for lunch. 
  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 1,245
    edited August 14
    kl8ton said:
    thetrim said:
    Thats the idea.

Cook lots of Indian curries. Coworkers love that. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 1,965
    I have one that I mainly use for canning. It heats the pots up far quicker than the electric coil stove top does. Plus when you turn it off it immediately stops heating up the pot.
  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 1,245
    I've heard they're prone to warping cookware. Is that true?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 8,471
    SonVolt said:
    I've heard they're prone to warping cookware. Is that true?
    Because they have the potential to heat up so fast and hot, I could see warping due to improper operation by the user...Heating pan past its rating or heating empty pan not rated for high heat.
    Good point.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • KayakKayak Posts: 171
    My building management people would have a coronary if one of those showed up in our office. "Exposed heating plate? No F'ing Way!!" It's microwaves or nothing for us. Of course, a faulty toaster oven did take out the DOT headquarters a few years back... Great demo to watch, though.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

Kimchi Wednesdays
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Tspud1Tspud1 Posts: 1,076
    I put one in a table
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 13,516
    Kayak said:
    My building management people would have a coronary if one of those showed up in our office. "Exposed heating plate? No F'ing Way!!" It's microwaves or nothing for us. Of course, a faulty toaster oven did take out the DOT headquarters a few years back... Great demo to watch, though.
    Same here. NO hotplates, coffee makers, microwaves or any other appliances were allowed at desks and there were no break rooms.  We had company provided microwaves if needed, but also, a 65000 sq ft cafeteria that would seat 1500 people. Open all day. The kitchen alone was 13500 sq ft. Breakfast offerings all morning, lunch and dinner item from mid-day til closing. Even a fresh popcorn machine.

Haven't been there since I retired and no, I didn't know how large it was, just that it was HUGE! Google knew though. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut