Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A little extra smoke to the meat / custom flow plates

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    And have some drill-outs for risers built into it.
    Options
    I recently did a brisket cook on the BGE and intentionally loaded 5-6 Jack Daniels small chunks and several handfuls of chips throughout where I figured the burn pattern would run.  Got a solid smoke flavor and quite a ring as well.  If I'm on the clock for a late AM or early PM brisket, BGE every time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Come to think of it, this heat shield could be the same diameter as the fire ring - it could sit right on top.  
    When I first got my mini, I used the cast iron fire grate out of my large in the manner y’all talking about now. The fire grate out of the large fits perfect on the fire ring of the mini. I used this set up until the large fire grate finally fell apart. There is pics of it posted somewhere on the forum.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Managing temperature through the vertical with a hole filled deflector plate is a challenge.  It's hard because kamados are small grills, short in the vertical and such good insulators.  

It's almost like you need a very tall, thin wall kamado.........one where you would add a stick every couple hours or so......

If you want to try the hole idea in a large egg, put an xl lump grate on the fire ring and build the set-up vertically from there, plug the holes you don't want with foil balls.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • nolaegghead
    edited August 2018
    Options
    tjv said:
    Managing temperature through the vertical with a hole filled deflector plate is a challenge.  It's hard because kamados are small grills, short in the vertical and such good insulators.  

It's almost like you need a very tall, thin wall kamado.........one where you would add a stick every couple hours or so......

If you want to try the hole idea in a large egg, put an xl lump grate on the fire ring and build the set-up vertically from there, plug the holes you don't want with foil balls.......

t
    The usual suspects - vents, fire, amount of air going through the system, the heat load in meat, ceramics, etc. establish the current temperature in the kamado, and more so the vents and subsequent air flow after equilibrium is reached. 

Where that heat goes, be it up the insides or up through the whole column of the interior, the latter is what I imagine a porous heat shield would do, not impact the overall temp of the cook (other than the heat load - heat it takes to warm the mass up).
    Options
    Kamado Joe announced at the beginning of the year they were developing an insert that will assist in the "swirling" of the heat and smoke for better smoke absorption and lessen hot spots. Haven't read any more about it lately so no idea if/when it will actually hit the streets.

I think I had posted some of the pictures in a thread here many months ago that better showed some of the details of the insert.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Kamado Joe announced at the beginning of the year they were developing an insert that will assist in the "swirling" of the heat and smoke for better smoke absorption and lessen hot spots. Haven't read any more about it lately so no idea if/when it will actually hit the streets.

I think I had posted some of the pictures in a thread here many months ago that better showed some of the details of the insert.
    Hyperbole or Hyperbolic?  You decide.
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    speaking of science (someone posted it a while back)...
    https://www.wired.com/2015/07/high-tech-bbq/
    Might as well just go out to eat if your just gonna turn on a switch to make dinner.... 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Hyperbole or Hyperbolic?  
    Is that the same thing as anal retentive?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.