Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Themapen died....best replacement?

Options
well, my five (?) year old Thermapen gave up the ghost mid-cook. Recommendations for a good replacement? Want fast read time. 
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I recently bought a Lavatools Javelin Pro Duo that seems to work every bit as well as my T-pen. Same features too (2-3 sec response time, backlit, rotating display, etc.). Gets good reviews from other eggheads on here. List is $45.99 and with the 15% discount code EGGHEAD, it's $39.09. Free shipping too. 

https://www.lavatools.co/products/javelin-pro-d

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Same thing, or a thermopop. The Javilen is popular too.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I picked up Javelin Pro Duo off Massdrop last week for $29.99

I hear it's everything a Thermapen MK4 is. A bought one for my parents. It's a great thermometer the few times I've used it. My older Thermapen might take a backseat once it shows up 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Love my TP.  However, it can be finicky, and if it died I would give Laval Tools Duo Pro a shot.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I should mention, the Javelin Pro Duo is apparently splash proof, like the T-pen MK3, not as water resistant as the MK4. But it's not 100 bucks either!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    At the risk of the obvious- are you sure it doesn't need a new battery?? 
    Beyond that, I have a Javelin of some pedigree as a back-up that works fast enough for me and was a flash sale buy for under $30.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    The other option would be to send it in to Thermoworks to have them look it over. It could be something super simple. My friend mentioned he got his back just recently from Thermoworks and had nothing but positive comments about them working on it. Might be a cheap alternative than buying a new thermometer.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hntrss
    Hntrss Posts: 16
    Options
    Javelin here too.  Love it!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Javelin duo pro. My pop and pen both died so I made the change. So far so good. Same features as MK4 less than half the price. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    TP has great customer service.  Email them and tell them what happened and how old it is and is they have any ideas how you could fix it.  Mention that you lover it.  You never know,  they might send you one or offer a generous discount.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    TP has great customer service.  Email them and tell them what happened and how old it is and is they have any ideas how you could fix it.  Mention that you lover it.  You never know,  they might send you one or offer a generous discount.  
    They absolutely do have great service. They  will rebuild your thermapen for like $25 any time you need it and I think that’s fair. That’s said, I’ve had mine rebuilt 3x and it’s dead again. Im in my ordinal themrapen for $200 so I figured I’d give something else a try. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I have several MK4 and  Javelin Pro Duo's , they are both spot on no issues the Duo has a magnet which can be nice and is value priced 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited August 2018
    Options
    3 of my 5 Thermoworks products have died in under 2 years with very light indoor kitchen use. 1 thermopop and 2 Timesticks. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Its impossible to compare the reliability of the Thermapen and the Javelin Pro.  We hear antidotal comments but do not know how many units of each are actually being used.  Don't think either company is publishing their failure rate.

For what its worth, my 
    Thermapen is still going strong after 10 years of use.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I would buy another MK4
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Send it back to Thermapen. Maybe a easy fix for them. I have sent two back that have 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    At the risk of the obvious- are you sure it doesn't need a new battery??  

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Reckon, I could use some more of that potter meat if ya got any extreee!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Its impossible to compare the reliability of the Thermapen and the Javelin Pro.  We hear antidotal comments but do not know how many units of each are actually being used.  Don't think either company is publishing their failure rate.
    While true, it did surprise me how many forum members had their Thermapen die on them already, wow.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I ordered a Javelin Pro Duo recently and am still getting used to it. 

One of my first observations has been that I prefer the feel of the Thermapen in my hand, probably because it's more contoured than the Javelin.

But it's hard to argue with the Javelin Pro Duo price. I do like the magnets on the back, and that it is backlit. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Thermoworks has treated me very well, so I'll continue to purchase until they give me a reason not to.  I've got 8 of their offerings, and have had two warranty issues.  Both issues resolved easily, and quickly.  Great company.

Phoenix