Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin reverse sear

Looking for info on this. Haven’t seen much for egg temp and time it takes to cook. Anyone done this before? I made the decision to reverse sear most everything awhile back. I haven’t done one of these yet... Less room for error, meat is cooked more uniformerly throughout, but it does take awhile. 

Feedback is appreciated!

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Steaks or a larger hunk of bef.

I've done a few of these:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1185356/reverse-or-sear-first#latest
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 157
    4 large hunks of beef!
    Going to fill up my XL
  • Deluca
    So I found what I was looking for there. That post didn’t come up when I searched in the forum. I found it by searching google and it brought me back here. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,180
    Deluca said:
    So I found what I was looking for there. That post didn’t come up when I searched in the forum. I found it by searching google and it brought me back here. 
    In general Google search is better than forum search.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,180
    Sea2Ski said:
    I cook mine slow with a chunk of oak. 225-250 indirect. Pull between 105F 108F.  Rest on a cookie cooling rack as the egg lid is open and coals get red hot. I do not open the bottom vent. Let the air hit the top of the bed of coals. I have a grate that sits directly on them.  Just before the sear, lightly blot with a paper towel then on the screaming hot grate. Sear to desired crust.
    Did this many times and it turns out great.

That is a perfectly cooked hunk of meat right there!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Deluca
    Thanks everyone. I have the knowledge. Just have to execute it now! Friday is go time and can’t wait to fire up the egg for this one. 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I Reverse sear around 250 dome temp with a chunk of red oak until internal is 10 degrees away from your target temp.   Use the plate setter for this.  Once internal temp is achieved, pull the platesetter and get the egg 700 or so.  Sear it low for a minutes on each side (just top and bottom, maybe hit the sides if you are wearing in a cast iron pan.)

Or, sear first and then wrap it in prosciutto and a pastry  =)

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,617
    @Sea2Ski - that protein is a thing of beauty right there.  Probably surpasses your belly burnt ends but since I haven't had either I will go with your assessment.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Deluca
    #1. Which Dawgs are you referring too?
    #2. What is that crust!? It looks really really bad for my health so I must know what it is!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Deluca said:
    #1. Which Dawgs are you referring too?
    #2. What is that crust!? It looks really really bad for my health so I must know what it is!
    UGA Bulldawgs.     And the crust is a puff pastry brushed with some egg yolk and butter.    This did not suck.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    I have done two whole beef tenderloins on the mMx. Low and slow, indirect reverse sear, with zero problems. I did that at the BB3.

I have an XL, and the most I have done on that was 4, but I could likely double that,  without  too many issues, I think. Just watch your IT, all tenderloins are not equal.

You got this.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Deluca
    How long can these sit before serving? We’re having a party with 70 people and other food as well. We plan on serving this cold.