Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- my life has been changed

Options
@SGH, my friend,  you have changed my life. While at the barber for my haircut,  I decided to get a straight razor shaved as well. Best shave ever. Next thing you know I will be eating fried anus and cooking in the style of Dixie. 
Las Vegas, NV

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Your bar is set low. (JKOC)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Lol!
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @SGH, my friend,  you have changed my life. While at the barber for my haircut,  I decided to get a straight razor shaved as well. Best shave ever. Next thing you know I will be eating fried anus and cooking in the style of Dixie. 
    There is nothing like a good straight shave my friend. Now you need to get where you can do it yourself.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    SGH said:
    There is nothing like a good straight shave my friend. Now you need to get where you can do it yourself.  
    Do they make long handled straight razors for backs?  Asking for a friend.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a collection of very nice badger hair brushes (mostly Simpson and Kent), an assortment of English shaving creams and soaps and quite a number of DE razors (both vintage Gillettes and new ones) as well as several brands of DE blades. I even have a few straights, though I never could get the hang of those.

Lasted a couple of years until I came to my senses. What a PITA all that stuff is!! Went back to my Mach 3 and Barbasol and am quite content. BBS shaves in a fraction of the time. Warm lather applied with a brush is much nicer... but I've gotten over it!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have a collection of very nice badger hair brushes (mostly Simpson and Kent), an assortment of English shaving creams and soaps and quite a number of DE razors (both vintage Gillettes and new ones) as well as several brands of DE blades. I even have a few straights, though I never could get the hang of those.

Lasted a couple of years until I came to my senses. What a PITA all that stuff is!! Went back to my Mach 3 and Barbasol and am quite content. BBS shaves in a fraction of the time. Warm lather applied with a brush is much nicer... but I've gotten over it!
    Says the guy who cooks his Za in the oven. I have come to the conclusion you are lazy  =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Options

Says the guy who cooks his Za in the oven. I have come to the conclusion you are lazy  =)
    Depends on whether or not I consider it worth the effort. Pizza and shaving? Not so much. Though I have egged a few pies lately. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    @sgh what if one is prone to nasty razor burn what do you recommend?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SGH
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    That’s tough to answer without knowing your shaving set up and skin type. However the sharper the razor the better. It doesn’t pull and hang the skin. This is why I like Feather blades. Nothing is sharper. 
    If you are getting severe burn try using an alum block after you shave followed by an alcohol free aftershave balm. Your problem will probably be resolved. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I would suggest experimenting with the angle at which the blade meets your face. Also, reduce the pressure. Make multiple passes. Do NOT try to remove it all in one pass. At least 3, the first with the grain.

LOL, or use a Mach 3. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    It can be wet or dry - my skin type is easily irritatable I suppose 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Best shave ever. Next I will be eating fried anus

I'd missed the connection until your post.  A close shave leads to the desire to consume anus.

I'll be keeping my beard, lol.

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Wait until you get your hands on a Muhle R41
  • SGH
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If he is having any type of skin issues he is a long way away from moving to the Muhle R41. It is an open comb razor. Some folks face simply can not tolerate an open comb razor. Especially those with sensitive skin. The big Muhle is simply to aggressive and has to much blade exposure. 
    With that said, with a little patience most folks can work their way up to the Muhle in time. However, there are some folks who simply can not. No fault of their own. They just have skin that is to sensitive.  

Status- Standing by.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    blasting said:
    Best shave ever. Next I will be eating fried anus

I'd missed the connection until your post.  A close shave leads to the desire to consume anus.

I'll be keeping my beard, lol.

The man was right about the awesomeness off a good straight razor shave, may he be onto something with his willingness to eat a good plate of anus.
    Las Vegas, NV

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Your bar is set low. (JKOC)
    I'm just a simple man.
    Las Vegas, NV

• SGH
    Options
    Battleborn said:
    The man was right about the awesomeness off a good straight razor shave, may he be onto something with his willingness to eat a good plate of anus.
    I’m really glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Buts it’s almost a given that anyone will like it if they would just try it. There is simply no comparison. 
    With that said, if you learn to do it yourself, you can enjoy it twice a day or as often as you like. There is just something real rewarding about shaving with a straight. 

Status- Standing by.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

I don’t even own a comb. The towel does my hair. I shave my nuts more than my face. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Lit said:

I don’t even own a comb. The towel does my hair. I shave my nuts more than my face. 
    I wouldn't use a straight razor for that, but that's just me...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Forget all this nonsense. Just get the Philips Body Groom. Works everywhere... apparently.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsbXwzqlqsU

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Always shave with the grain using light pressure. Also, look into Tend Skin. That stuff is magic for me.

So was stopping shaving and just keeping a short beard.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I used to get a lot of razor rash using canned foam and disposable razors.

You need an accurately mounted sharp blade and good soap.

The blades on disposables are not very sharp and moulded into plastic. On a DE razor, the blade is securely and accurately clamped.

Different DE razors have different characteristics. I have a Feather DE razor, which is fairly mild compared to @sgh's Muhle.

Be aware of hair growth direction as well, if you have areas of hair on the neck growing upwards, you might be going against the grain on the first pass, which will cause irritation.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Hans61 Nice rig right there.  Been using Norelco electrics for over 50 years (yup, old here!).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    SGH said:
    If he is having any type of skin issues he is a long way away from moving to the Muhle R41. It is an open comb razor. Some folks face simply can not tolerate an open comb razor. Especially those with sensitive skin. The big Muhle is simply to aggressive and has to much blade exposure. 
    With that said, with a little patience most folks can work their way up to the Muhle in time. However, there are some folks who simply can not. No fault of their own. They just have skin that is to sensitive.  
    Is a Merkur 34c a good starter?
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    baychilla said:
    SGH said:
    That was my first DE razor and it was a good introduction to DE shaving. The Feather DE definitely shaves better - closer, less irritation and fewer nicks - but is in a different price bracket. I used the Merkur for about 5 years before upgrading, wished I had done so sooner to be honest as you can feel the difference straight away.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I use the Gillette razor with the fusion blades. I shave dry with no soap or cream. Sometimes I might wet the blade. 
    NW IOWA
  • SGH
    Options
    baychilla said:
    SGH said:
    Yes, it is a good razor. With that said, an adjustable razor such as the Merkur Futur and the Parker Variant are even better. Why? You can turn the aggressiveness up and down. When you first start shaving you can turn them way down to a very mild setting. As you get accustomed to it you can start turning up the aggressiveness.  
    The Merkur Future is a very aggressive razor it’s self when set on its highest setting. It’s still a few steps behind the wicked Muhle R41, however it’s still more aggressive than most want when used on its highest setting. 
    It I was forced for some reason to only own one razor, it would be either the Merkur Futur or the Parker Variant due to the flexibility that they both offer. I’m sure that most are surprised that I didn’t pick the coveted Muhle R41. The reason that I didn’t is the day will come that I simply want be able to use the Muhle due to its aggression. Right now the Muhle is certainly my pick and daily driver. But as I get older and older that will certainly change. 

Status- Standing by.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    You don't need to spend a lot to get an adjustable razor. Gillette used to make them and I found several at local antique shops. Don't remember, but probably just a few dollars each. These aren't mine, but like mine...
    Image result for gillette adjustable safety razor

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    "DE" is what?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month