Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drumstick rack

Hey Everyone,

I saw some posts with drumstick racks.  Was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a company that sells them?  Everything else I have bought in the short amount of time with my egg has been from a small company such as Ceramic Grille Store or Kick Ash.  Was hoping someone was selling drumstick racks that I could support.

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    The grill gate is the best drumstick rack there is. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Do not spend $$$ for a not needed rack. 
    Here is three different cooks on my mini:

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I have one. PITA to clean. Would not recommend 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JKellar
    JKellar Posts: 91
    Thanks! I will skip the rack and just use the grate. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Just echoing what others have already advised! I bought a 12 drumstick hanger at Lowes at least 16 years ago. AND to this very day I have never used it! No sour grapes, but you really don't need one! BTW I'm egging 20 Georgia Red Wings on Sunday and all of them do very well just laying horizontally on the grate. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EGGHEAD83
    EGGHEAD83 Posts: 61
    I have one and love it. I cook indirect and raised direct. No flipping or turning. Just put them on and leave them alone until they’re done. The dishwasher takes care of cleanup. I spray it with Pam before use and I think that helps. Can’t remember the brand but it came from academy sports. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I have a Mr Bar B Q EZ leg and wing holder that I used once.  I found it to be pretty flimsy and more trouble that it was worth with pieces of chicken falling off of it.  Mine has been back in the box for probably 8 years and I don’t miss it.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ColtsFan said:
    I think many of us here consider that a fancy grate of sorts and just don't bother to clean it unless it gets extra gross.  Or clean it at 500+ F.
    @nolaegghead. +1  

I have the rack and use it often.  It’s not a must have, I’m just too lazy to flip the legs around.  The hanging rack just eliminates a step.  

As as for cleaning, it’s cooking at 400 Direct (my setup), not much to clean after that.  Once I take the chicken off I just leave the rack in the egg to cool.  The residual heat is to clean it...”good enough”.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    edited July 2018
    RRP said:
    Just echoing what others have already advised! I bought a 12 drumstick hanger at Lowes at least 16 years ago. AND to this very day I have never used it! No sour grapes, but you really don't need one! BTW I'm egging 20 Georgia Red Wings on Sunday and all of them do very well just laying horizontally on the grate. 
      couldn't agree more. I got a deal on 6 of them at the end of the season at Lowe's. They're somewhere in the back cellar waiting for the yard sale after I die!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    ColtsFan said:
    I think many of us here consider that a fancy grate of sorts and just don't bother to clean it unless it gets extra gross.  Or clean it at 500+ F.
    If I ever decide to use it again this will be my method.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Thighs are better anyway. ;)
  • JKellar
    JKellar Posts: 91
    I laughed harder at this than i probably should have.  People in my office probably think I am officially losing it.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have one PM me your address, I will send it to you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    @northGAcock. That's funny!

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I didn't read any of the rest of this stuff, but I like my leg hangers. Might need to go grocery shopping for some legs and make a post tomorrow. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited July 2018
    Anymore, instead of wings, I will do chicken legs, but since getting the gear from CGS, the leg holder has not been used. Raised indirect makes them easy, and no worry about the cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon said:
    Anymore, instead of wings, I will do chicken legs, but since getting the gear from CGS, the keg holder has not been used. Raised indirect makes them easy, and no worry about the cook.
    If you like that gear, you should take a look at the "new" stuff BGE has developed.  Pretty sweet equipment.  

Little Rock, AR

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,456
    Bought couple of these years ago at Wally. Flat piece of stainless, foldable detachable legs, no nooks and crannies, super easy to wash after soaking.

canuckland