Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: anybody here have a WEH 2000 :OT

13»

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
       Dang rough crowd on farmers tonight. Kick us while we’re down, beans are down 20%.  I’m sure none of you guys are told by the government how much you are going to sell you products for.      Crop looks good and usda tells the whole world, commodity prices go down.
       Farmers get subsidies because we are constantly fvcked with.  The subsidies are not guaranteed or substantial.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
       Dang rough crowd on farmers tonight. Kick us while we’re down, beans are down 20%.  I’m sure none of you guys are told by the government how much you are going to sell you products for.      Crop looks good and usda tells the whole world, commodity prices go down.
       Farmers get subsidies because we are constantly fvcked with.  The subsidies are not guaranteed or substantial.
    Not trying to stir the pot but could this have to do with China not buying soybeans due to the tariff Trump put on steel and such?  Honest question, just want to know your perspective/facts as opposed to what I have read online. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Fellows, this is a shaving thread. Try to stay on topic. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• alaskanassasin
     That is exactly the reason bean prices have fallen,  Chinas retaliating against the US because of tariffs. I am sure it will eventually work out I know China has been screwing us a long time. My point is as farmers we are constantly messed with by the government. 

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
     That is exactly the reason bean prices have fallen,  Chinas retaliating against the US because of tariffs. I am sure it will eventually work out I know China has been screwing us a long time. My point is as farmers we are constantly messed with by the government. 

Wow...

You know what, you must be right. Let us all pause to worship our dear leader.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • alaskanassasin

DMW said:

Wow...

Wow...
     Not what I said at all. People have to eat and China loves soybeans

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DMW

DMW said:

Wow...

Wow...
     Not what I said at all. People have to eat and China loves soybeans

And other countries also grow soybeans. This isn't a zero sum game. Shrugging this off with an attitude of "I am sure it will eventually work out" is...not sure actually.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • alaskanassasin
     Not sure what you point is other than trying to a ass
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DMW
     Not sure what you point is other than trying to a ass
    I'm saying tariffs are counterproductive and the statement "I am sure it will eventually work out" is the equivalent of:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• alaskanassasin
     I really do not know if tariffs are counter productive or not, what I can tell you is it will all work out. People have to eat, they are reproducing. I appreciate your concern
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DMW
     I really do not know if tariffs are counter productive or not, what I can tell you is it will all work out. People have to eat, they are reproducing. I appreciate your concern
    I'd really like to know how you can be so sure of this portion of your above statement? Is the US the only area on earth capable of growing soybeans?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't hate farmers.  I hate how the government screws with farmers and how the big farm lobbyists perpetuate that status quo.  It's not just the farm lobby, but the chemical and seed companies that tell farmers what they can and can't grow, and stack the deck against anyone who uses modern farming paradigms and science for natural soil management.
    The problem is that our current president sees the whole thing as his pie, and he’s a selfish little b*tch... instead of lookin at as what can I really eat, and why let the rest go to waste rather than how can the rest be shared to benefit the greater, world, good... 
  • alaskanassasin
    DMW said:
    I'd really like to know how you can be so sure of this portion of your above statement? Is the US the only area on earth capable of growing soybeans?

I really do not understand why you are confused by this, there is only so much land. Whole countries can have a crap crop, drought, floods, some countries produce and store better than other, fresh?  Non Gmo?  Some countries do not deal with others.
     Is china the only country that eats beans?  Brazil produces mucho beans, and they deal with deforestation, (is that sustainable?) inadequate infrastructure, roads, rails.
     Meanwhile the world population is growing.  I run a lean mean farming operation I can survive the ups and downs, like I said we are constantly messed with but what can I do, farming is not for control freaks.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Y’all have ruined a great shaving thread will all the bean shenanigans. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    edited July 2018
    DMW said:

I really do not understand why you are confused by this, there is only so much land. Whole countries can have a crap crop, drought, floods, some countries produce and store better than other, fresh?  Non Gmo?  Some countries do not deal with others.
     Is china the only country that eats beans?  Brazil produces mucho beans, and they deal with deforestation, (is that sustainable?) inadequate infrastructure, roads, rails.
     Meanwhile the world population is growing.  I run a lean mean farming operation I can survive the ups and downs, like I said we are constantly messed with but what can I do, farming is not for control freaks.

Dude, I wish you all the best, and I hope it does work out for you. Agriculture holds an esteemed place with me. Both of my grandfathers were farmers. I spent a good portion of my youth helping put up hay and hang tobacco. Oh, and I think potato sorting or something was involved as well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• alaskanassasin
    I don't hate farmers.  I hate how the government screws with farmers and how the big farm lobbyists perpetuate that status quo.  It's not just the farm lobby, but the chemical and seed companies that tell farmers what they can and can't grow, and stack the deck against anyone who uses modern farming paradigms and science for natural soil management.
      I appreciate that nola, I didn't think you did.  Its tough we get it from all sides sometimes. 

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    DMW said:
    DMW said:

Dude, I wish you all the best, and I hope it does work out for you. Agriculture holds an esteemed place with me. Both of my grandfathers were farmers. I spent a good portion of my youth helping put up hay and hang tobacco. Oh, and I think potato sorting or something was involved as well.
    I appreciate that, the farm we live on has been in swmbo family since before Ohio was a state.  The house we live in was built by her family for her family in 1879.  When I am bored in my tractor or find a horseshoe in a field, remodel a room or find Studebaker oil change mileage written in pencil on the barn wall I especially think about all that came before me.   I am now the steward of this land and I hope that I make her ancestors proud. 
     That said if I cared what other people thought and had shiny new paint I would be worried about making those payments. Unfortunately a lot of farms are heavily leveraged and will have to shut down, these tariffs are a blow on a already depressed farm economy.   Much of the farm land sold will be purchased by mega farmers or investors from other countries.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    DMW said:
    DMW said:

I appreciate that, the farm we live on has been in swmbo family since before Ohio was a state.  The house we live in was built by her family for her family in 1879.  When I am bored in my tractor or find a horseshoe in a field, remodel a room or find Studebaker oil change mileage written in pencil on the barn wall I especially think about all that came before me.   I am now the steward of this land and I hope that I make her ancestors proud. 
     That said if I cared what other people thought and had shiny new paint I would be worried about making those payments. Unfortunately a lot of farms are heavily leveraged and will have to shut down, these tariffs are a blow on a already depressed farm economy.   Much of the farm land sold will be purchased by mega farmers or investors from other countries.
    Thank you, I grew up on a rural farming community myself that has changed a lot since I left almost 20 years ago.  A lot of the people there were all about MAGA and are still all for this philosophy thinking we don’t live in a global economy.  It’s great to see some one who is grounded in reality and takes pride in the history and stewardship of the land, not the newest John Deere or shiny truck 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    My cousin was one of the top salesman for a seed company here in the Midwest. The seed company was bought out by the Chinese. The day the Chinese government took over the company my cousin quit. He said he wasn't going to collect a Chinese paycheck. He worked his way up in the company and boom....sold to China. Crazy stuff
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2018
    WeberWho said:
    My cousin was one of the top salesman for a seed company here in the Midwest. The seed company was bought out by the Chinese. The day the Chinese government took over the company my cousin quit. He said he wasn't going to collect a Chinese paycheck. He worked his way up in the company and boom....sold to China. Crazy stuff
    Too often the Chinese just steal the IP and copy it without paying royalties.  So I suppose it was good they paid for it.  Hate to see foreign investors in the farming industry.   

That said, pretty unwise to quit a high paying job when you're at the top of your game unless you have something  better. 

Hope he did, or didn't need to keep working.
    Ron had a legitimate question about an inverter and y’all totally got off topic. The nerve of some people.  

Status- Standing by.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    WeberWho said:
    Too often the Chinese just steal the IP and copy it without paying royalties.  So I suppose it was good they paid for it.  Hate to see foreign investors in the farming industry.   

That said, pretty unwise to quit a high paying job when you're at the top of your game unless you have something  better. 
    He took a job down in Tennessee. He likes his new job but he had to sell his house and move from family and friends here in Minnesota. He just felt that strongly about not working for the Chinese government. I give him credit. Not too many probably would have done it. His previous company even offered him a substantial increase in salary just to stay with the company. He didn't even consider it.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304

The problem for the US is that it is fighting everyone, not just fighting China. This has not descended into a protectionist free for all yet, so other countries can fill in gaps where US products are now more expensive to minimise the economic damage. 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    DMW said:
    DMW said:

Well said , having grown on a tobacco farm in rual NC brought back some memories. Those little things you mentioned are the cool things in life that few get to appreciate anymore.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    When I lived in Nebraska, we heard of some stupid a$$ Iowa corn farmer that plowed up his cornfield to make a baseball diamond.  What a fool!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Eoin said:

The problem for the US is that it is fighting everyone, not just fighting China. This has not descended into a protectionist free for all yet, so other countries can fill in gaps where US products are now more expensive to minimise the economic damage. 
    Yep.  Mostly we are hurting ourselves over here in the US.  You don’t hear Trump talk about the stock market too much these days - can’t imagine why that is.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • It's quite, sips fuel, fairly light and the motor never misses.Starts on first or second pull every time. The only drawback is changing the oil every 25 hrs, but it's easy to do.