Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Small Brisket,,,,and I mean small

Matt86mMatt86m Posts: 117
Bought into 1/2 a cow a while ago and split it with a buddy. Home raised, no hormones/antibiotics, fed well, leaned out, etc. Buddy and his family have been doing this for 25+ years now. Great beef.

I am left with a brisket that is only 3.5lbs. Been looking here for a similar cook but haven't found it yet.

Looking for advice on cooking such a small brisket. 

Or?

Is it like any other? Keep in mind I haven't done a brisket on my XL yet! Yes I know, what a shame! WTH have I been waiting for? Jump in the deep end sissy boy!

Been looking at briskets at Costco and specialty shops but the thought of killing a $50+ piece of flesh that has already been killed once is daunting.

I'm not too proud to admit it. I'll share my good as well as my bad cooks here.

Seems like a 3.5lb brisket will get done too fast before the fat has time to render. 

Looking for some advice & guidance.

Thank you in advance!
Cows eat grass therefore I am Vegan
IG -->  matt_86m

Comments

• lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,684
    Cook it like a chuck roast--I'd wrap it around 170 cook to 200 ish and pull it like pit beef
    Visalia, Ca
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,705
    Smallest whole packer I've ever done was 5.46lbs and it was done in 7.5 hours. Treated it just like any other brisket I do. 250 at the grate level. Brisket was 100% grass fed locally.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TeefusTeefus Posts: 680
    edited July 13
    My Process: LINK

Feast.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Matt86mMatt86m Posts: 117
    Teefus said:
    My Process: LINK

Feast.

Makes sense. Thank you for the link. Ill be trying that.
    Cows eat grass therefore I am Vegan
    IG -->  matt_86m
  • JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 5,975
    I’ve tried several that small from the grocery store. No luck. I’ve heard several making killer burgers from them though. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • milesvdustinmilesvdustin Posts: 1,505
    Make burgers 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• DobieDobie Posts: 2,486
    Grind it 
    Not playing well with others in Jacksonville FL
  • Little Rock, AR

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,491
    Get some 1/2” ribeyes to serve w it!  Sounds like you’ve gotten some good feedback. I look forward to seeing your results. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,758
    inject it with a good beef marinade.....smoke the heck out of it for several hours then foil with more broth and finish to tender.  could actually do the foil part in the oven.  if not real tender, then chop instead of slicing it.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.