Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fear of the Flat

Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,204
I read a number of posts from folks who are apprehensive about cooking small brisket flats because they "always turn out dry". Many aren't comfortable with the long duration of a whole brisket cook. As a result, they shy away from brisket altogether.

Being empty nesters, cooking up a whole packer just doesn't make sense unless I have lots of time and we're hosting guests. Neither is the case very often. As a result, I've taken to buying whole prime packers and "parting them out" to three pieces; a point and two flat halves. This results in manageable hunks of meat that cook relatively fast and in my experience, very predictably.

My process for a 5# flat: Dry with paper towel then coat in olive oil. Apply a generous coating of equal parts coarse black pepper and Kosher salt. Cook low and slow with whatever you use. I use a LBGE, Rockwood lump, and lemon size pecan chunks. 4-5 hours at 250*-275* dome temp gets me to an internal of about 165* to 170*.  I pull it off and wrap well in butcher paper. The wrapped meat goes back on the grille for a couple more hours, or until I hit 205* internal and the meat probes soft. Then the wrapped meat comes off the grille and goes in a small cooler for two hours. I've wrapped the package in a towel and just set it in the cooler without the towel. Both work. I think the two hour rest in the cooler is the key. The flat is super juicy and melt in your mouth tender without being falling apart done.

None of this is revolutionary. It's information culled from this and other forums. I've been able to repeat the results. I'd suggest that those who avoid brisket because they can't/won't do a whole packer consider giving it a whirl. A small flat is a cheap date and a good way to build confidence.
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    edited July 2018
    @Teefus - great post and suggestions.  
    Edit:  For many years all I could get (at a decent price) were flats so I have hosed up many of those cooks , and nailed a few as well.  Then Costco started stocking packers.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    I am one of those apprehensive ones. Great write up 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I've only smoked a few flats, partly because I just never see packers in my local stores, but also because it's usually just me and my wife, and a full packer is just way too much meat.  It's good as leftovers, but never quite as good.  I've enjoyed the few flats I've done.  The first one was a little too chewy, and I learned that I just hadn't cooked it long enough.  Other than that, though, I haven't wrapped them, and I've thought they were plenty juicy and tender.  I might try wrapping next time though, and see if maybe they're even better.

Your write-up was great -- thanks for offering it!