Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT - Outdoor Faucet Leaking - OT

SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 725
edited July 10 in Off Topic
Anybody got any ideas on how I can fix this thing? It leaks around the steam when the faucet is turned on. I took the packing nut off (tightening it didn't help) and scraped off whatever old junk (o-ring?) was in there. I went to Lowe's and got some packing "string" and wrapped it around the stem 3 times and put the packing nut back on. Now it's leaking worse when the faucet is on than it was before I touched it. I'm out of ideas.  Any savvy plumbers around here that can help me fix this thing?


South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
«1

Comments

  • Unless you are REALLY lucky and they used a male end to screw it in, its not gonna be an easy fix.  Mine were soldered on and I had to cut out the sheetrock inside the house and cut mine loose and fix it.  I hate frost free faucets.  they are a pain in the ass.  

    Little Rock, AR

  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 725
    Unless you are REALLY lucky and they used a male end to screw it in, its not gonna be an easy fix.  Mine were soldered on and I had to cut out the sheetrock inside the house and cut mine loose and fix it.  I hate frost free faucets.  they are a pain in the ass.  

    "Frost free faucets"... didn't know that was a thing. Hmmm... so this goes into our crawl space under the house. So does that mean I should crawl under there and take a look to see if it's soldered on or screwed on? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 23,148
    cant tell fully fromm the pic but it may be a freezeless design that seals several inches inside the house,  woodford sells part kits for those but ive always felt better with new. is it threaded inside the house or soldered
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,191
    shut the main off pull the stem and all, repack it
    Visalia, Ca
  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 725
    lkapigian said:
    shut the main off pull the stem and all, repack it

    The stem comes out? Do I just pull it out with a pair of pliers, or what? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 27,259
    Penicillin....whoops, sorry, pics didn't load at first.
    ______________________________________________
    This is my signature line just so you're not confused.  Love me or hate me, I am forum Marmite.
    Large and Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, Akorn Jr, smoker with a 5k btu AC, gas grill, fire pit, pack of angry cats, two turntables and a microphone, my friend.  Registered republican.
    New Orleans, LA - we know how to eat 

  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,191
    edited July 10
    SonVolt said:
    lkapigian said:
    shut the main off pull the stem and all, repack it

    The stem comes out? Do I just pull it out with a pair of pliers, or what? 
    it should keep turning the whole thig CCW, the rising stem should hit the back stop and start turning the packing nut out 
    Visalia, Ca
  • GrillSgtGrillSgt Posts: 1,861
    Woodford & Barren Co. KY

    LBGE, XLBGE, 2 Weber Genesis, Weber 22" kettle

    I’d kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

  • GrillSgtGrillSgt Posts: 1,861
    Kits and other videos available through the Google.
    Woodford & Barren Co. KY

    LBGE, XLBGE, 2 Weber Genesis, Weber 22" kettle

    I’d kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 725
    lkapigian said:
    SonVolt said:
    lkapigian said:
    shut the main off pull the stem and all, repack it

    The stem comes out? Do I just pull it out with a pair of pliers, or what? 
    it should keep turning the whole thig CCW, the rising stem should hit the back stop and start turning the packing nut out 
    Just to make sure I understand, keep turning the stem CCW and it will come out? I've already removed the packing nut with channel locks. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt said:
    Unless you are REALLY lucky and they used a male end to screw it in, its not gonna be an easy fix.  Mine were soldered on and I had to cut out the sheetrock inside the house and cut mine loose and fix it.  I hate frost free faucets.  they are a pain in the ass.  

    "Frost free faucets"... didn't know that was a thing. Hmmm... so this goes into our crawl space under the house. So does that mean I should crawl under there and take a look to see if it's soldered on or screwed on? 
    That's what I would do.  If its threaded in you can just unscrew it and replace it.  I wasn't that lucky and I replaced mine with a regular gate valve (gave me more water pressure, too).

    Little Rock, AR

  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 725
    edited July 10
    GrillSgt said:
    Kits and other videos available through the Google.

    I needed someone to point me in the right direction. Didn't know a "frost proof" faucet existed until someone here told me. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,191
    SonVolt said:
    lkapigian said:
    SonVolt said:
    lkapigian said:
    shut the main off pull the stem and all, repack it

    The stem comes out? Do I just pull it out with a pair of pliers, or what? 
    it should keep turning the whole thig CCW, the rising stem should hit the back stop and start turning the packing nut out 
    Just to make sure I understand, keep turning the stem CCW and it will come out? I've already removed the packing nut with channel locks. 
    , yes, clean all the debris and it SHOULD come out 
    Visalia, Ca
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 23,148
    if the long stem comes out like the video its freezeless. round handle is model 14, oval is 16 for parts kits according to google, 
  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 725
    lkapigian said:
    SonVolt said:
    lkapigian said:
    SonVolt said:
    lkapigian said:
    shut the main off pull the stem and all, repack it

    The stem comes out? Do I just pull it out with a pair of pliers, or what? 
    it should keep turning the whole thig CCW, the rising stem should hit the back stop and start turning the packing nut out 
    Just to make sure I understand, keep turning the stem CCW and it will come out? I've already removed the packing nut with channel locks. 
    , yes, clean all the debris and it SHOULD come out 

    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when you turn the faucet on (CCW) it eventually stops turning. Are you saying if you force it CCW it will keep turning and start unscrewing itself? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,191
    SonVolt said:
    lkapigian said:
    SonVolt said:
    lkapigian said:
    SonVolt said:
    lkapigian said:
    shut the main off pull the stem and all, repack it

    The stem comes out? Do I just pull it out with a pair of pliers, or what? 
    it should keep turning the whole thig CCW, the rising stem should hit the back stop and start turning the packing nut out 
    Just to make sure I understand, keep turning the stem CCW and it will come out? I've already removed the packing nut with channel locks. 
    , yes, clean all the debris and it SHOULD come out 

    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when you turn the faucet on (CCW) it eventually stops turning. Are you saying if you force it CCW it will keep turning and start unscrewing itself? 
    yes, it will hit the stop then the entire assembly should start turning 
    Visalia, Ca
  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 725
    Before I remove the stem, how important to preventing leaks is the o-ring or packing material that sits directly behind the packing nut? I'm assuming that my issue is with the stem assembly itself and I'm wasting time trying to get a good seal directly behind the nut..........
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • PBandJPBandJ Posts: 42
    The purpose of the packing material is to keep water from leaking around the stem.
    Woodbridge, Va.
  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 725
    PBandJ said:
    The purpose of the packing material is to keep water from leaking around the stem.

    Ah.... this is why I'm not a plumber, ha. So the guy at Lowe's gave me "packing string" instead of a rubber o-ring. Is that ok?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,191
    SonVolt said:
    PBandJ said:
    The purpose of the packing material is to keep water from leaking around the stem.

    Ah.... this is why I'm not a plumber, ha. So the guy at Lowe's gave me "packing string" instead of a rubber o-ring. Is that ok?
    I've packed many with packing tape ( string) but i's need to see it- I would just take the whole stem assembly to the big box, you can probably get the whole thing or post a picture once removed
    Visalia, Ca
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 23,148
    the seal kits are relatively cheap, 15 bucks for the packing area, 25 bucks for everything. that faucet looks old, 50 plus years, you may have to fudge  it back together anyways
  • UncleBillyUncleBilly Posts: 219
    Had a similar issue in the spring.  Once I got the stem out there is a small washer on the backend of the stem that needed to be replaced.  I repacked around the faucet with new packing string too.
    XL  Central Ohio
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,989
    Looking at the 2nd opening pic, it seems there is lots of corrosion or build up of mineral scale. If you have Liquid Wrench, some sprays of that, and a little waiting may make dis-assembling the fixture do-able.
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 7,490
    Penicillin....whoops, sorry, pics didn't load at first.
    That's nothing to clap about!
    Flint, Michigan
  • jeffwitjeffwit Posts: 1,255
    C’mon @SonVolt, we’re all waiting. Time to piss or get off the pot.  =) =) 
    Oh, and pics or it didn’t happen. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • PBandJPBandJ Posts: 42
    If water is dripping out of the faucet, it is the washer on the end of the stem. If it is coming from around the stem, it is the packing.
    Woodbridge, Va.
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 4,572
    Too Funny @DoubleEgger

                                                                        
    _________________________________________________

    Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014, 36" Blackstone, Anova Sous Vide
    Green Man Group 
    Johns Creek, Georgia
  • RRPRRP Posts: 22,155
    In a quick scan of the replies I think you have gotten most of your questions answered. I have 3 of those outdoor facets and all of them are actually 16" long before being soldered on the copper tubbing. That means the seat et.al. are well inside our heated basement. Do you have access to the inside tubing connection? That leaking you describe may be a serious issue inside with your footings. I understand wanting to DIY, but your issue may be a lot worst than you think! 
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • Smoker317Smoker317 Posts: 206
    I use to solder but now use shark bite fittings.   https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings/SharkBite/N-5yc1vZbqpfZ4n3


    I had your issue, I installed a new 16" or whatever freeze free faucet using the shark bite, way easier than soldering in cramped places.  I have since ran/replaced other fixtures for a few years now with zero leakage issues. 



    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732 living near Indy.
    36" Blackstone.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.