Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Outdoor Faucet Leaking - OT

Options
2»

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Smoker317 said:
    I use to solder but now use shark bite fittings.   https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings/SharkBite/N-5yc1vZbqpfZ4n3

I had your issue, I installed a new 16" or whatever freeze free faucet using the shark bite, way easier than soldering in cramped places.  I have since ran/replaced other fixtures for a few years now with zero leakage issues. 

Only issue with using a sharkbite in this application is that the faucet/stem assembly will spin unless you can can pin down the faucet head to the wall. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Smoker317 said:
    I use to solder but now use shark bite fittings.   https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings/SharkBite/N-5yc1vZbqpfZ4n3

I had your issue, I installed a new 16" or whatever freeze free faucet using the shark bite, way easier than soldering in cramped places.  I have since ran/replaced other fixtures for a few years now with zero leakage issues. 

Only issue with using a sharkbite in this application is that the faucet/stem assembly will spin unless you can can pin down the faucet head to the wall. 
    Yeah, a hose bib secured by a sharkbite = plumber who doesn't know what he is doing.
    Options
    Two pages about a leaking faucet on a BBQ forum. I love this place...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    "TMF last time in Copenhagen?  Suffering the drip, drip, drip of leaky faucet?  Come to the Big Green Egg forum and we'll cure it lickety split."
    Options
    DMW said:
    Two pages about a leaking faucet on a BBQ forum. I love this place...
    And they say it used to be a friendlier place. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I didn't get a chance to work on it after work... 

@RRP - I don't know what any of that means but it sounds scary. Can you elaborate?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    SonVolt said:

@RRP - I don't know what any of that means but it sounds scary. Can you elaborate?
    You had posted "so this goes into our crawl space under the house". All I meant was the amount leaking outside COULD mean that water was also leaking in that crawl space eroding the ground under your foundation as well as creating ground that is wet and dark making a perfect environment for mold  and mildew.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SonVolt
    Options
    RRP said:
    SonVolt said:

You had posted "so this goes into our crawl space under the house". All I meant was the amount leaking outside COULD mean that water was also leaking in that crawl space eroding the ground under your foundation as well as creating ground that is wet and dark making a perfect environment for mold  and mildew.

Ah ok. Guess I better get under there and check. Since it's just leaking at the stem, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's just the packing nut that needs more packing material. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    RRP said:
    SonVolt said:

and snakes and spiders

Little Rock, AR

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    My contribution to this dilemma is call the Realtor and move!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'd deal with the snakes and spiders than ever give a realtor another dime. What a scam of an industry that is.  Show your house twice, fill out a couple forms and get a  check for $30,000? Pffff. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @SonVolt - doing the math you can hire a plumber for what you sold your place for.  However, upon further review that may not be the best suggestion as I got bent over quite hard last week when I had to resort to a plumbing company to repair my ba$tardized sewer system.  As a wise doctor once said, It only hurts coming out!"  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I just made that number up, but yeah maybe I should just hire someone. I'm going to see if I can break it first. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SonVolt - With all the other fire and forget posts of today-where is this project??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    The Buffalo has decreed the sunk penalty.  
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Thanks for the link, I have this problem! Very helpful!!
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Sunk? But the buffalo skin one lives on. Oh, the mysterious ways of da buff. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    There’s water streaming out the bottom of mine when it’s on.  Is it supposed to do that?

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • SonVolt
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SonVolt - With all the other fire and forget posts of today-where is this project??

I was tasked with cooking dinner last night and didn't get a chance to work on it... I've just kept the faucet shut off in the meantime. We're going whitewater rafting down the Ocoee  this weekend so it's looking like it may be a few days before I can get back to it. Once I break it I will post pics and revive the thread. 
  • SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I think I fixed it.  The packing string worked just fine, I was just using it wrong. Some bogus instructions I found on the web said to twist it around the stem 3 times and cut it. That works great if you want to spray a jet of water in your face when you turn it on.  Buried deep in a plumbing forum I found the proper instructions that you twist as much string around the stem that you can, filling up all the space behind the packing nut, leaving just enough room in the cavity to thread the packing nut on with a little force. Then crank her back down. Worked like a charm.