Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Brisket from Costco - Pics and some comments

Options
xfire_ATX
xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
Thanks to the thread that brought one of these home....

Lets get the pics out of the way- 

As far as the prep and cook-
First the Cryo packaging on the SRF was the thickest Cryo packing Ive dealt with.
Hardly any  hard fat on it at all, trimmed maybe 6 oz off.
Seasoned and in fridge overnight as usual

I cooked it a day early so after it was off and cooled and managed to get it in a Vac Seal Bag for overnight and transport.

After getting where we needed to be I put in the RTIC 20 in a 140 degree water bath.  I kept swapping out the water every 1/2 hour to keep the temp up.  This would be a whole lot easier with Sous Vide but you work with what you have.

After 2 hours and when everything else was cooked on site I pulled it and sliced it.  It was the best brisket I have ever eaten bar none.  Will definitely buy this again at Costco.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    the more I read about the SRF brisket the more I think its time to take the plunge. Looks great and glad you enjoyed it
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I called my Costco in San Antonio and they don't have them.  I may have to drive to Austin...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• EggbertGreenII
    EggbertGreenII Posts: 253
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the pics and update, the brisket looks delicious. We're getting a new Costco soon, can't open soon enough as far as I'm concerned.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Way to finish it out.  Great results right there.  Nailed it for sure.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice. I have been experimenting with the cook ahead and reheat Sous Vide method for the classes we teach just to get the timing perfect. My next one ( next Saturday) will be done this way. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HurricaneEddie1
    Options
    do you think Costco will expand their SRF distribution?  Would be nice to have it in Miami.  Hell... we can't get prime packers here.
    Cooking on a LBGE and MM down in Miami, FL.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Nice. I have been experimenting with the cook ahead and reheat Sous Vide method for the classes we teach just to get the timing perfect. My next one ( next Saturday) will be done this way. 
    The Hardest part of the cook was trying to get the brisket into the Vac Seal Bag and not loose the bark.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Just incredible.  Is it weird I'm shifting my work flights around to try and get to Austin just so I can grab a few to take home??  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    The Hardest part of the cook was trying to get the brisket into the Vac Seal Bag and not loose the bark.
    I have the foodsaver expandable bags. Perfect for this. 
  • mlc2013
    Options
    these SRF briskets that you lucky guys are able to get at your costco, what grade is it? I look on SRF online and they cheapest one I see is 139.99 for 9-12 lbs its their black grade, the ones Costco seems to have is much cheaper is theirs a lower grade or is it just that much cheaper at Costco?

Long Island NY    
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    these SRF briskets that you lucky guys are able to get at your costco, what grade is it? I look on SRF online and they cheapest one I see is 139.99 for 9-12 lbs its their black grade, the ones Costco seems to have is much cheaper is theirs a lower grade or is it just that much cheaper at Costco?

It’s srf black. 
  • mlc2013
    Options
    it might be cheaper for me to get on a plane fly down to texas hit a costco and fly back home then to buy from SRF. If they freeze well i can buy a few cases and fill up freezer.
    Long Island NY    
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    I wonder if the quality of SRF is going to go down if they start supplying Costco regularly. That’s a lot of high end beef to put out there. 
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Please HELP a desperate poor egger who would love to try SRF brisket but cant get pass the sticker shock on SRF website. If any one of you fellow eggers are willing to pickup a case or 2 of SRF black label brisket from their local Costco and freeze and ship to me In New York, I would love to take advantage of this deal but live in NY and the costco's by me do not have any SRF and at $4.29lb how can you go wrong. I will of course pay for the shipping and handling and brisket and maybe just maybe through in a little something extra. let me know if anyone has the time to hook this egger up!!!
    I know you cant see me but im actually on mu knees begging!! 

Long Island NY    
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    it might be cheaper for me to get on a plane fly down to texas hit a costco and fly back home then to buy from SRF. If they freeze well i can buy a few cases and fill up freezer.
    Ha ha. They do freeze well-they all come from SRF hard as a rock. I don’t think they are carrying these all the time. Im headed over now for some other stuff. I’ll report back on what they have. 
  • mlc2013
    Options
    okay I appreciate it and if they dont freeze well then it might just be a waste of time and money. Let me know what you find and think I trust your opinion and knowledge. I appreciate it.
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker I misread and thought you said the dont freeze well. While I was tearing up I decided to read again and realized you said they DO freeze well. Im all excited again.

Long Island NY