Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Farm (and backyard) to table: First lamb. Not baaaaad.......

Options
Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
Two months ago we picked up an all grass fed lamb from an Amish farm in Lancaster PA that raises heritage breeds. We chose a katahdin.

He was small, and since the butchering fee is the same up to a certain weight, we let him cut the grass and get a little bigger to get closer to that threshold weight. 

Split him with a buddy. Here is my half:
(Clockwise from 12:00) shanks, neck, mystery boneless cut,  boneless front shoulder, whole bone in rear leg:

Entire loin roast, rack of ribs, and other rib pieces. I think the bottom right was the “brisket” cut. 

Tonight I cooked up half of the rib roast.

Half of that was with fresh spring garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. The other half was dusted with Dizzy Pig Red eye express (I feel they really nailed this one for lamb. It is a perfect match.)

Indirect on the MiniMax at 275 then seared 1 minute to long. 

Lamb up top, steak below (wife does not eat lamb)

Reverse searing

Perfect for me. 

Sides were fresh cucumbers and coleslaw on a separate plate. No color so it was boring therefore no picture. 
No leftovers.  I literally licked the plate clean.
I can not wait to cook more. 
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    Dude...I'm speechless.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Love it. Nice to know where your food comes from. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Beautiful. Heartiest congratulations. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I’m tired of seeing that gif of Bill Murray standing at ovation but that’s how I feel. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Very nice!  He's cute and all in the back of the truck, but downright purdy on the plate.

If I'm not being too nosy, how does this work out for you per pound after purchase and butchering factored in?

Phoenix 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Did yall name him?

Little Rock, AR

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    You have been living this week. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Great cook

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Very nice. I really enjoy lamb. Raising your own or buying lamb from someone you know is the way to go. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    blasting said:

If I'm not being too nosy, how does this work out for you per pound after purchase and butchering factored in?

@blasting If you are on a budget and looking for a deal,  this is not the way to go, especially dealing with a heritage breed. However, by doing little things you can make it a much, much more favorable. This is what I have learned with other local farmers/butchers over the past couple of years:

First is dealing with the Amish and Mennonite. You have to deal with them as though you are the boss, and let them know you are the boss. Be polite but firm and brief.  We asked the price of the sheep and he said $185. We laughed and said no way. Bartered and got him to $140 using age and size to our advantage and willingness to take him at that moment. I like them because they are honest, but they will also take every penny you have if you let them. I find them to be reasonable if you are.

Second, we let him grow in the yard eating grass and put on weight. This was free at this time of the year.  Just needed to make sure they had water.

Third, slaughter and butchering was $65 to get the cuts as shown above (remember, that was half the animal.) I think that is a steal, when the slaughter cost alone is $25 of that $65. Oh, we got the liver and heart as well.  If we got the rear leg deboned, chops cut individually, trimmed, and it all vac sealed and flash frozen it would have been double that. So I had them cut it as shown and it all came in a plastic bag. I picked it up the same day as butchering so it was “fresh” and not frozen, then I could break the pieces down more if I want, trim if necessary and then vac seal and freeze. In this case I did not have to trim.  That saves a ton on the cost. To be clear, this animal hung for 4 days. Slaughtered Friday, picked up Tuesday.

Honestly, I did not weigh the finished cuts, so I do not know price per pound. So for my half, it was a little over $100 (plus time, gas, vac bags) for what you see.  I could have picked it up vac sealed and frozen for about $50 more.  Not worth it to me.

So is it a deal? No. But I do not think it is too bad either. More importantly, I know the animal had a good clean diet, lived in a field with another sheep and cow, ate fresh grass and lived a good life.
    He had one really bad day. Not fun to talk about, but it is reality of where meat comes from. However, let me tell you this lamb flavor is different, but much better than the commercially grown lamb. I had it before, and loved it. But we just ordered one to be processed and picked it up butchered. This time, there was much more to it. It was a fun experience, and this is why one is still running around with the cow and trying to come up with a viable a rotation plan. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    Did yall name him?
    Animals we have that will become food do not get names unless it is a cow. They are just numbered. Removes the “pet aspect” for at least me. This guy was “S1” for sheep 1. We are up to P(ig) 17, G(oat)3 and “Millie” the pregnant cow running around with S2. P11 we think is pregnant, so we hope to get P18 through P26 in about 2 months.   

Pets get names.  All my chickens have names. 
    Large and MiniMax

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I could not do what you did. Not suggesting there is anything wrong with it. Just that I couldn't do it myself. Beautiful meat though.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blasting
    Options
    @Sea2Ski I really appreciate the time spent responding.  I'm not sure I have an opportunity around me such as that, but I will be looking.  That doesn't sound bad at all price wise, and I love the whole animal concept straight from the farm.
    Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Mark, I put lamb on the top shelf of our eats.  Thats a great cook, hands down.  You must have me up.....
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Whoa. Was not expecting cute lamb in the back of the pickup to transistion so jarringly to Gettysburg massacre there on the plate.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Whoa. Was not expecting cute lamb in the back of the pickup to transistion so jarringly to Gettysburg massacre there on the plate.
    Its called eating.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    ...that was a joke. Yes, I know. We raise cattle and eat them. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    My family raised a few sheep for 4 or 5 years back in the late 80's. Different breeds, mostly Suffolk and Corriedal. This was pre Egg so the best thing that I ever made with it was Moussaka using ground lamb.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    That's a nice looking meal.  I can't help but to keep checking out the pic with the perfectly butchered lamb breast.  I can't get ones that aren't overly trimmed now that I've moved.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    blasting said:
    @Sea2Ski I really appreciate the time spent responding.  I'm not sure I have an opportunity around me such as that, but I will be looking.  That doesn't sound bad at all price wise, and I love the whole animal concept straight from the farm.
    Brother would that not be sage fed Lamb in your case? I do't recall seeing grass out your way. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Stellar! And free lawn mowing to boot :)

When we had our hog venture going, they were all named. Caliprince still says that Meenie made the best sausage. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    caliking said:
    Stellar! And free lawn mowing to boot :)

When we had our hog venture going, they were all named. Caliprince still says that Meenie made the best sausage. 
    I miss your hog adventures. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    blasting said:

@blasting If you are on a budget and looking for a deal,  this is not the way to go, especially dealing with a heritage breed. However, by doing little things you can make it a much, much more favorable. This is what I have learned with other local farmers/butchers over the past couple of years:

First is dealing with the Amish and Mennonite. You have to deal with them as though you are the boss, and let them know you are the boss. Be polite but firm and brief.  We asked the price of the sheep and he said $185. We laughed and said no way. Bartered and got him to $140 using age and size to our advantage and willingness to take him at that moment. I like them because they are honest, but they will also take every penny you have if you let them. I find them to be reasonable if you are.

Second, we let him grow in the yard eating grass and put on weight. This was free at this time of the year.  Just needed to make sure they had water.

Third, slaughter and butchering was $65 to get the cuts as shown above (remember, that was half the animal.) I think that is a steal, when the slaughter cost alone is $25 of that $65. Oh, we got the liver and heart as well.  If we got the rear leg deboned, chops cut individually, trimmed, and it all vac sealed and flash frozen it would have been double that. So I had them cut it as shown and it all came in a plastic bag. I picked it up the same day as butchering so it was “fresh” and not frozen, then I could break the pieces down more if I want, trim if necessary and then vac seal and freeze. In this case I did not have to trim.  That saves a ton on the cost. To be clear, this animal hung for 4 days. Slaughtered Friday, picked up Tuesday.

Honestly, I did not weigh the finished cuts, so I do not know price per pound. So for my half, it was a little over $100 (plus time, gas, vac bags) for what you see.  I could have picked it up vac sealed and frozen for about $50 more.  Not worth it to me.

So is it a deal? No. But I do not think it is too bad either. More importantly, I know the animal had a good clean diet, lived in a field with another sheep and cow, ate fresh grass and lived a good life.
    He had one really bad day. Not fun to talk about, but it is reality of where meat comes from. However, let me tell you this lamb flavor is different, but much better than the commercially grown lamb. I had it before, and loved it. But we just ordered one to be processed and picked it up butchered. This time, there was much more to it. It was a fun experience, and this is why one is still running around with the cow and trying to come up with a viable a rotation plan. 
    You can save a few bucks (depending on whether or not you track the cost of personal infrastructure improvements) by just having the animal slaughtered and doing all the butchery yourself.  A few good knives and a bone saw, and you are off to the races.

Great to see you going local.  It really is nice to know where your food comes from.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    blasting said:
    Brother would that not be sage fed Lamb in your case? I do't recall seeing grass out your way. ;)
    Robin, Robin, Robin.....  what am I going to do with you? 
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    @20stone we are seriously considering doing that with S2. We have done that with a few hogs, but not sheep. I watched several videos of how to break down sheep, and sheep look a lot easier than hogs for charcuterie.  We will see when it comes time for S2 and what the weather is like.
    To me, just the slaughter, skinning and  evisceration is worth the $65.  So to get it cut as we did as well for that price as well, I think that was a great deal. But I do not know what they would charge for those three steps and give it back whole. Might have to ask them, then determine if it is worth it. 

Ever have lamb prosciutto?
    I think I am getting pulled into that rabbit hole......
    Large and MiniMax

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    To me, just the slaughter, skinning and  evisceration is worth the $65.  So to get it cut as we did as well for that price as well, I think that was a great deal. But I do not know what they would charge for those three steps and give it back whole. Might have to ask them, then determine if it is worth it. 

Ever have lamb prosciutto?
    I think I am getting pulled into that rabbit hole......
    Agreed that $65 is pretty cheap for all of that, and I am happy to pay not to slaughter, skin, and eviscerate. Butchery is it's own process, and I enjoy doing it. We almost had too much of a good thing last time, w about 1,000 lbs of hog (across two of them). As for lamb prosciutto, you should DEFINITELY do that!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Mark, I put lamb on the top shelf of our eats.  Thats a great cook, hands down.  You must have me up.....
    @bgebrent you and N are always welcome. Just let me know when you are coming so I will know to make more than I was planning to. 

The door is always open, the beer always cold, and and the wine is ready to be poured.....
    Large and MiniMax

• bgebrent
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    bgebrent said:
    @bgebrent you and N are always welcome. Just let me know when you are coming so I will know to make more than I was planning to. 

The door is always open, the beer always cold, and and the wine is ready to be poured.....
    This will happen one day. 
  • blasting
    Options

How is this not the most active thread?  I'm obsessed.  I've already found a couple sources for lambs.  Looking for a butcher currently.  I hope I can make this work out to do this myself.
    Phoenix 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    blasting said:

How is this not the most active thread?  I'm obsessed.  I've already found a couple sources for lambs.  Looking for a butcher currently.  I hope I can make this work out to do this myself.
    @blasting thank you. And good for you!!

I honestly hesitated posting it.
    Why? I think a lot of people would rather go to the store and get whatever cut they want in a limited quantity. I get that and do not blame them. I think it is rare these days for people to do the work when they can go to Costco and get a prime cut like a frenched rack of ribs for $16, or a pork loin for $17. Also you do not need to have a lot of freezer space.

Or they do not know where to start to procure an animal. When/ if one can find an animal then you have to find the butcher that will also slaughter. That can be a challenge.  Let’s face it, most butchers just break down primal or subprimals at most.

That butcher (if a decent one) will ask you how you want it processed. To do that, you have to know what cuts you can get and what you want. (Since you are at this step, my tip: do not assume they will understand what you want when you say it. Spell it out for him exactly how you want every cut.  I also have found if you say you will trim things up, they will take a bit more care, and less will find it’s way to the grind pile.) Or you can get a “common cuts package”, which has all the regular cuts. Usually this costs more in the long run. 

But, it sounds like you are in the minority where you want to go to a different level to procure your food. In addition to getting something really fresh and higher quality, you also get the opportunity to choose what you want, and get cuts that are not normally or commonly available. I can not wait to cook the ribs. I never had a rack of lamb ribs. Gonna do them with a sprinkle of the red eye express. No there is not much to them, but I bet they are gonna be good. Same with the neck. It is going to be braised with the shanks. And let me tell you how much meat is on the neck. A lot!!!

I recommend doing a YouTube search for “How to butcher a Lamb - every cut explained”. It is easier than you might think. It is a great animal to start with because it is on the small side. And if you do not want to break down the animal, it will show you options of what can be done which will help when talking to the butcher. Please keep us (or at least me) updated on your progress. I am sincerely interested. 
    Large and MiniMax