Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: any Northern eggers have experience with freezers in your garage? :OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,920
Our 30 year old upright Montgomery Ward freezer has worked fine, but I'm thinking of a new one soon. Reason being it is full of meats etc and would hate for our upcoming hot days of summer to finally do it in. Besides that our utility company is offering to pick it up for free PLUS pay us $50.
I'm nearing pulling the trigger for a new 14CF Frigidaire. The salesman is telling me it is built for the garage and is suitable for a range of 0º to 110º. The high end of 110º sounds fine but anybody up North have an opinion about the 0º? TIA

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I have one in my garage Ron and couldn’t be happier. Also have an all refrigerator sitting right next to it. No issues going on say 6-8 years. Not sure. My attached garage has a better chance of reaching the high temp than the low temp. I am going to add heat out there one of these years though. Good luck. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    theres an owners manual at the bottom of this link, it says they work below 32 degrees, no compressor heater needed nor recommended

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,044
    Options
    I have an older deep freeze out in the garage. (MN winters) Never been an issue
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sure would suck if your freezer gives out and the outside temps are freezing.
    edited June 2018
    Options
    ron, its not like a fridge freezer combo where the whole thing shuts down at 38 degrees and the stuff in the freezer section thaws out and rots. you are good to go with a freezer in the garage, its the combo units you need to buy properly or buy an additional kit to warm the compressor so the fridge calls on the freezer to keep things cold
    fukahwee maine

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    @RRP
    Ron, before I got into to subsea work I was a fortune teller. With that said, I foresee a hijack in your near future =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    ron, its not like a fridge freezer combo where the whole thing shuts down at 38 degrees and the stuff in the freezer section thaws out and rots. you are good to go with a freezer in the garage, its the combo units you need to buy properly or buy an additional kit to warm the compressor so the fridge calls on the freezer to keep things cold
    Thanks for that explanation! The specs for the one we are looking at had that same comment you mentioned in your earlier post that it works below 32º. So I ask what does that mean? after all 31º is below 32º. So I asked the salesman who actually turned out to be the Appliance Manager if he could get a more definite answer than just "below 32º". He called Frigidaire and they gave us the 0º to 110º range info.
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    I put a new B&W Tow and Stow hitch on the wagon. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    I have one in my garage Ron and couldn’t be happier. Also have an all refrigerator sitting right next to it. No issues going on say 6-8 years. Not sure. My attached garage has a better chance of reaching the high temp than the low temp. I am going to add heat out there one of these years though. Good luck. 
    I have a freezer and fridge in the garage.  no issues.  the freezer is new.  it replaced an older one that I was afraid was going to die before I was prepared.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I have a Norge freezer in the garage, we bought it 16 years ago, off a guy who was moving into a nursing home. He kept it on a back porch without heat or air conditioning.  It must have been 20 years old when we got it. Has been running like a champ (other than the annual defrost).

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,504
    Options
    I don't know what your outside low temp would have to reach to get to 0*F in your garage but I'm sure it is well south of there.  No AC&R expert, calling @NPHuskerFL who may have some insights.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    In my neck of the woods, the garage IS a freezer - in the winter months, at least. 
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    Ron, I got a few artisan shavings soaps and aftershaves today. 

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Ron, I got a few artisan shavings soaps and aftershaves today. 

Never change.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    Never change.
    You use Stirling Shaving soap brother D?

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    Never change.
    You use Stirling Shaving soap brother D?
    Not yet, but after this posting, just might have to. Because your skin is so silky soft I'm jealous.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I used to have a massive shave den. Then i figure out what i used and liked. Sold most of it, then i grew a beard. Now i use shave secret oil and a dovo shavette. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SGH
    Options
     Now i use shave secret oil and a dovo shavette. 
    A brave soul indeed. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited June 2018
    Options

Now i use shave secret oil and a dovo shavette. 
    I have a devette (not a shavette) made from an old 1960’s Gillette. I will break it out and post a pic. 

Status- Standing by.

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Hey, it works for me! I have shaved (full face) with a dovo straight and the shavette for about 8 years. Have been using a DE for several years before that. No sense in making lather with my silvertip rooney for my neckline and small patches on my cheeks

• SGH
    Options
    Hey, it works for me! I have shaved (full face) with a dovo straight and the shavette for about 8 years. Have been using a DE for several years before that. No sense in making lather with my silvertip rooney for my neckline and small patches on my cheeks
    I love a straight razor shave, however my hands don’t permit me to straight razor shave any more. With my hands debilitated I won’t try to learn on a shavette. They say it’s trickery than a straight due to the extreme thinness of the blade. However that’s what I have heard, not what I know.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    I used to have a massive shave den. Then i figure out what i used and liked. 
    I have a pretty good collection myself. However I still enjoy trying new soaps from time to time.
    With that said, Taylor Of Old Bond Street is my favorite and I use it the most.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @milesvdustin
    I have this scuttle ordered. It’s from Dirty Bird Pottery. 

Status- Standing by.

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Dirty bird is good stuff. I have their brush scuttle!

The thin blade can be tough, but just watch your angles and its all good. 

• milesvdustin
    Options
    When i use the straight i use a couple fingers on the razor hand against my face on the tricky spots to keep from slicing. More of a brushing motion than a cutting one 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,187
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    I put a new B&W Tow and Stow hitch on the wagon. 

Why do you stow your hitch? I keep mine hanging out.  Figure it will keep people a bit further back.  Plus it is funny when someone walks around the back and kicks it with their shin.  Swearing makes me laugh.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,187
    Options
    @RRP .... chances are your old unit will out last the new unit you replace it with.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I leave my hitch in my truck.   My theory is when people hit it, they will stop before they hit my bumper.
    Options
    I leave my hitch in my truck.   My theory is when people hit it, they will stop before they hit my bumper.
    My point exactly! Plus when you pull away there is a decent chance you will have a new rear mounted radiator.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    the hitch on my 89 dodge totaled a 1976 trans am, a ford focus, and some serious damage to a dodge minivan.  hardly any damage to the bumper thats still on it.  built the one on the rover last week, might extend some bar stock off the sides.  3/4 ss plate with 2 inch ss solid bar stock =)

fukahwee maine