Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Tipping | as not to hijack | Biggest memorable tip you ever left a wait staffer....

Options
billt01
billt01 Posts: 1,530
33 1/2 percent.....
Have:
 XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
Had:
LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
Ola, Ga

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    50%, and a few other times I told them to get out of the hospitality business.
    Options
    one dollar. waiter was so pissed waiving that dollar in my face i grabbed it out of his hands. he did not deserve a dollar.  the service was slower than buying a car. get seated, ask several other waitresses to place a drink order for us, over an hour goes by we get the menu, no drink order placed, waiting, waiting, waiting. finally comes back and places the food and drink order. drinks arrive at the table almost 2 hours in, no food yet. watched a table get served and cleared 3 times, had to get the manager for our check. pretty sure the waiter got fired after all the hollering he did in the center of the restaurant
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2018
    Options
    100%  We recently ate at a wood fired oven pizza place in Arizona for our 10 year wedding anniversary. Wasn't a fancy place. We don't care for fancy. Just good staff, caring, wanted you to enjoy the experience. Food was incredible. Bill was $50 I left a $100 bill. Didn't care to stick around to see the look on their face for that one.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    I was in a group of 4 or 5 guys, on a business trip to Oslo, and we had such good service from our waitress that we gave her, IIRC, 20%.  In a country where there basically is no tipping.  We made her cry.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    edited June 2018
    Options
    $0.01. So they didn’t think I just forgot. Worst dining experience ever. Basically never saw our waiter after the initial contact. Looked for him one time and he was in the corner getting a back rub from a waitress. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    I went on a golf trip to Hilton Head. I kind of drank too much and I thought I left a $10.00 but it was a $100.00. But, the beer was really good I think and our waitress was really good looking. I think.
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I went on a golf trip to Hilton Head. I kind of drank too much and I thought I left a $10.00 but it was a $100.00. But, the beer was really good I think and our waitress was really good looking. I think.
    She was.  And you're off by another zero pal:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I went in and got a free glass of water once, and I tipped a buck. 

That's an infinity tip.
    Options
    Just the tip?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Two tipping threads is just what the doctor ordered!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Found our waitress crying in the prep station. A little older than us, single mom, clearly killing herself to make a better life for her kid. You never know what’s going on in another persons life. 
    This is where it takes actually paying attention. There is a difference between what you stated here and as I said on the other thread where the restaurant is half empty and your waiter or waitress is nowhere to be found for minutes at a time while your drink sits empty after you just ate Ghost Pepper chicken wings or whatever. Clearly you and your date paid attention and had the common sense to see that the situation the waitress was involved in was no fault of her own. It takes actually paying attention to things to determine when you have crappy service. Nowadays, Millennial's of which I am technically one (though barely, I consider my self a Gen X'er) mostly are on their dang phones during the entire meal not paying attention to anything other than making duck lips while taking a selfie or taking a picture of their crappy Burger from Chili's for Instagram. I interact with my waiter or waitress to gauge whether they get tipped at all, normal, or substantially.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    When we were in high school we had a big group go out for prom. You can imagine how horrible our table was. Obnoxious teenage boys using their parents $$$ to impress spoiled little girls dressed like knockoff Disney princesses and eating chicken fingers and Diet Coke. 

Some a$$hole at our table griped and berated our poor waitress the whole time, who was clearly overwhelmed by the shenanigans.

He tipped her $.09 and wrote “you aren’t worth a dime”. Laughed and left for his limo.

I got me and my date to my truck, got pissy about the whole thing, and her and I went to the ATM, grabbed some extra cash and went back. (She was our preacher’s daughter. I’m sure she was the moral compass in this ordeal)

Found our waitress crying in the prep station. A little older than us, single mom, clearly killing herself to make a better life for her kid. You never know what’s going on in another persons life. 
    Can't believe you wouldn't even give her a dime.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options
    She was.  And you're off by another zero pal:

http://6abc.com/society/waitress-receives-generous-$1000-tip-on-$29-check-/815282/
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @thetrim oh heh heh heh. 

I know this won’t surprise you (as you’ve heard dozens of “I would have joined but” stories) but he was also supposed to be signing his Army contract the same day I was.  I showed up. He decided he would rather run a ski lift in Colorado for 2 years. But he did a triathalon so...same thing?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• ColtsFan
    Options
    I left a hundy this past December for a gal at a local restaurant. She was great and told SWMBO and I of some hard times she was having regarding one of her kids.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I left a hundy this past December for a gal at a local restaurant. She was great and told SWMBO and I of some hard times she was having regarding one of her kids.

Sucker!  =) J/K

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @thetrim oh heh heh heh. 

I know this won’t surprise you (as you’ve heard dozens of “I would have joined but” stories) but he was also supposed to be signing his Army contract the same day I was.  I showed up. He decided he would rather run a ski lift in Colorado for 2 years. But he did a triathalon so...same thing?
    Maybe he really wanted to be like those 10th Mountain Division guys.
  • thetrim
    Options
    That's awesome. 

I had a friend from HS who was our star hoops player (signed at a well know top tier NCAA program regularly discussed on this site) who had the hots for the head of our drill team.  Let's just say that she was years ahead of anyone else in our school from a development side.  Face wasn't all that great, but...... 

Anyway, after multiple attempts, she finally agreed to go out on a date with him.  After dinner was over, he gives her his keys, tells her to go out to his sweet Trans Am, because he had to go to the restroom.  The rest is history.  He walked the check, so I'm guessing his tip was the opposite of infinity. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @thetrim oh heh heh heh. 

I bet we both had a ton of Joe's with some great tipping stories.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

Sucker!  =) J/K
    Right?

Very well could have been. I will say that the girl still works at the restaurant and I eat there often for lunch. She calls me by name, and there haven't been any further sob stories, so I'f like to think it was legit.

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Back in April I told this cat I'd give him a dollar to put some crawfish under a guys seat. He done it and later on it was a great laugh. I gave the guy another dollar. 
     B) 
    @tarheelmatt I would open any packages you receive this month with extra care. 

@thetrim the staff should have really seen that one coming. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• thetrim
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit Adam, not quite that sweet of a limited addition, but you are on the right track.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’ve tipped 100% a couple times for exceptional service. Once more than that because I felt the server was having her ass kicked by life and seemed like the type that I should help out. I left $0.02 once for a miserable wretch that ruined my meal with her attitude. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    One time I tipped a stripper $20 because she was working her way through law school!!
    We found a locale women were we go fishing in Mexico that will come to the house we rent and cook the most amazing meals for us!! She handed us a bill the first time for $70 us. There were 7 of us. I handed her $150.00 us and and every time she comes to the house I always double the bill!! The kitchen is cleaner when she leaves then when she got there and there is always enough food for the next day. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Acn said:
    one dollar. waiter was so pissed waiving that dollar in my face i grabbed it out of his hands. he did not deserve a dollar.  the service was slower than buying a car. get seated, ask several other waitresses to place a drink order for us, over an hour goes by we get the menu, no drink order placed, waiting, waiting, waiting. finally comes back and places the food and drink order. drinks arrive at the table almost 2 hours in, no food yet. watched a table get served and cleared 3 times, had to get the manager for our check. pretty sure the waiter got fired after all the hollering he did in the center of the restaurant
    I cannot understand why you didn’t just leave when you hadn’t gotten a menu in over an hour.
    did you read my car buying story =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Acn said:
    I cannot understand why you didn’t just leave when you hadn’t gotten a menu in over an hour.
    did you read my car buying story =)
    :rofl: