Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT - Lucky to be ALIVE

Greetings friends,

not known for my slow driving, id like to thank the NC SHP for LASERING my truck on 85/40, making me slow down to 75 mph, before hitting some ungodknowswhat chunk of hell and blowing my passenger front tire all out. 

Never been lasered before...
.... second lifetime blowout...

Was on my way to my parents’ to deliver the new LBGE to my dad for his big celebration. 

Pics are of the NC DOT and my new friend, Sonny. 

The jack on the 97 f-150 wouldn’t lift the truck. Thanks sonny. 

Yall drive safe!

8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 12,706
    Damien, glad you had help. You are lucky, very lucky.
    I am a lead foot too, but recently I figured out that knocking a few minutes off the drive, is not worth becoming a burden to others, or even worse, no longer being around.
    Very cool on the delivery of the BGE to your dad. Hoping he gets many years of enjoyment with it.
    You are a great son, do what it takes to stick around. Drive safe.
    You Rock.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 4,668
    Glad you ok.. What a story..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JohnnyTarheelJohnnyTarheel Posts: 5,274
    Whew... wow what a story... glad all is well
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • dmchicagodmchicago Posts: 1,235
    What is lasering?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,410
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  Dodged a bullet for sure.
    Gotta admit every time my car has been the subject of laser/radar etc I have ended up with an invitation to explain and pay for my actions.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • MaskedMarvelMaskedMarvel Posts: 2,126
    dmchicago said:
    What is lasering?
    Like radar... there were speed traps everywhere.  Laser, when you get hit, doesn’t give you the chance to slow down. They’ve already got you. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 12,557
    At least the rim looks okay
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 8,471
    Damn!  This scares the crap out of me - knock on wood I’ve only had one blowout and it was a rear.  Glad it worked out safely.
    Austin, TX
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,307
    Glad you're still above ground to tell the story!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TEXASBGE2018TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 1,100
    Wow, crazy! Glad you are ok but how is the egg??? =)

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, 36" Stainless Blackstone Griddle, Contemplating which size Egg to get next. Cast Iron Hoarder.

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"- Davy Crockett

Wow, crazy! Glad you are ok but how is the egg??? =)
    Egg is being delivered to their place in raleigh. Table is here in Greensboro with me. Cover is coming via amazon Friday. 

Its like a symphony and I’m the smokeductor. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• pasoeggpasoegg Posts: 417
    where are they handing out driving awards at??

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

They discontinued my truck tire. Of course. Any concerns about putting a similar tire on? I’m not too enthusiastic about buying two tires...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• TEXASBGE2018TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 1,100
    edited June 13
    They discontinued my truck tire. Of course. Any concerns about putting a similar tire on? I’m not too enthusiastic about buying two tires...

As long as the load ratings are similar there shouldn't be any issue beyond the tread wear being different than the others and aesthetics.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, 36" Stainless Blackstone Griddle, Contemplating which size Egg to get next. Cast Iron Hoarder.

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"- Davy Crockett

• DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 12,557
    edited June 13
    You might want to see if you can find a used tire with similar tread wear as yours. That’ll keep everything wearing the same and keep you from buying singles moving forward 
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 5,815
    Glad to hear you're safe Damien!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 17,904
    edited June 13
    man- that always rattles me for the rest of the day. I've had 2 nasty ones and felt just like you when it was over- Lucky. Had one with the dog in the car (Golden Retriever in a suburban) and he jumped over my shoulder into my lap at 70mph trying to control a car with a blown tire. Good times. I was scratched to hell and he was shaking but we were all good in the end. 
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 5,860
    They didn’t discontinue it, they just renamed it. It’s now called a “Defender LTX MS” tire buyer usually has good prices. https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/michelin/defender-ltx-m-s/p/tv060001796?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Michelin&utm_content=Michelin-shopping&mkwid=LsonTOSV|pcrid|54585400620|pkw||pmt||pdv|m|slid||product|060001796|&pgrid=13395751020&ptaid=pla-454396953094&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8riK4_LR2wIVBlmGCh0oPAoJEAQYASABEgJ7hPD_BwE
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jeffwitjeffwit Posts: 1,337
    Jeremiah said:
    They didn’t discontinue it, they just renamed it. It’s now called a “Defender LTX MS” tire buyer usually has good prices. https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/michelin/defender-ltx-m-s/p/tv060001796?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Michelin&utm_content=Michelin-shopping&mkwid=LsonTOSV|pcrid|54585400620|pkw||pmt||pdv|m|slid||product|060001796|&pgrid=13395751020&ptaid=pla-454396953094&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8riK4_LR2wIVBlmGCh0oPAoJEAQYASABEgJ7hPD_BwE
    Ok, @Jeremiah, gotta ask. How in the world did you tell what kind of tire he had on his truck?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
    @jeffwit lol. From the picture. Michelin had several tire names that were basically the same tire, so they just renamed them to simplify matters. The old LTX MS and the LT4 became Defender LTX and the Latitudes became Premiers. 
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,563
    edited June 14
    [email protected] your @ss down. If you were in a hurry, you should have started sooner. Seriously, glad this worked out for you. That could have come to a real bad end.
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 27,672
    85 is within the design parameters for the truck, tires, etc.   Maybe not the road if the speed limit was 40.  

I drive my truck like a normal southern redneck.  I drive my car like I'm in a Porsche in Germany.  

Keep the tire pressure in spec, everything maintained, focus on driving, and beware, sh!t happens.

• northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,563
    Jeremiah said:
    @jeffwit lol. From the picture. Michelin had several tire names that were basically the same tire, so they just renamed them to simplify matters. The old LTX MS and the LT4 became Defender LTX and the Latitudes became Premiers. 
    Changes in latitudes....changing in attitudes. Someone should write a song about that.
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”
    Jeremiah said:
    Changes in latitudes....changing in attitudes. Someone should write a song about that.

• theyolksonyoutheyolksonyou Posts: 16,536
    jeffwit said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Ok, @Jeremiah, gotta ask. How in the world did you tell what kind of tire he had on his truck?
    Cause he’s the mutha Effin expert. Ain’t nothin bout no car he don’t know.  
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador

My chili did not suck.