Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Daisy Wheel

Options
Does anyone have a daisy wheel they want to sell? I’m getting a SMOBOT and would like to have an extra so I don’t have to uninstall it when I’m not doing low and slow cooks 

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The only time I use my daisy is when I'm doing a lo n slo cook. All other cooks are controlled with the bottom vent only. Just something to consider.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    As Carolina said. I've recently switched to only using the daisy for low and slow's its actually incredibly easy. I can easily control temps of 350-400 and even high temp pizza cooks are pretty easy. Though I will say they have to be monitored a bit more. Try it out a bit and see if you can control it. If not then proceed with getting another Daisy.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Outdoorsman66
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys but I use the daisy wheel quite a bit for other than low and slow as well so I want to have one that the SMOBOT is permanently mounted to and another to use as it was designed for.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Another thing is, I rarely do a lo n slo cook any more. Turbo cooks instead at 300-320°. Don't even need a controller for those. My DigiQ is collecting dust just like my daisy. So you may not need a spare daisy OR a Smobot! =) 

That said, I'm retired so I can stay home all day to babysit a cook (which means walking outside every couple of hours to make sure the temp is right). Or glancing at my Maverick if I've bothered to set it up (which is almost never). And in any case, I never leave the house when a grill is going.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    I have one that you can have if you cover shipping. It's damn near new as I replaced it with a Smokeware cap.

PM me if you are interested, but like mentioned above. It really isn't necessary for anything >325
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Carolina Q
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys but I use the daisy wheel quite a bit for other than low and slow as well so I want to have one that the SMOBOT is permanently mounted to and another to use as it was designed for.
    Oh, I understand... I used to do that too. Now, anything from 300° and up, no daisy. There are plenty of us. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Outdoorsman66
    Options
    I get it. But its the once you have a method you just stick to it sort of thing. 
  • Outdoorsman66
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I have one that you can have if you cover shipping. It's damn near new as I replaced it with a Smokeware cap.

PM me if you are interested, but like mentioned above. It really isn't necessary for anything >325
    PM Sent. Let me know if you received. Think I did it right
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

PM Sent. Let me know if you received. Think I did it right
    Yes, I replied.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    My DFMT gets so funky I have to burn it to free it up or hit it with something heavy. SMOBOT might survive two cooks at my place?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    pretty sure I have an an extra one for a large you can have, but they are only $40.00 on Amazon
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Couple of questions:
    How low can you go when cooking topless?
    How long does it hold the temp steady?
    I have an XL.
  • Outdoorsman66
    Options
    All, I'm all set. Thanks for the tips earlier on. Should be good to go now.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    JohnH12 said:
    Couple of questions:
    I have an XL.

1st Answer: I can easily control temps down to a little <300. I wouldn't want to for very long though as it can start to impact those lower temps

2nd Answer:I have no problem controlling temps without a Daisy for at least a couple hours. Typically when I'm doing a pizza cook I get the egg to around 600 and keep it there for an hour or longer prior to putting my pies on the stone. My guess is it will hold that temp as long as your lump is maintained to adequately keep it there.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    JohnH12 said:
    Couple of questions:
    I have an XL.

1st Answer: I can easily control temps down to a little <300. I wouldn't want to for very long though as it can start to impact those lower temps

2nd Answer:I have no problem controlling temps without a Daisy for at least a couple hours. Typically when I'm doing a pizza cook I get the egg to around 600 and keep it there for an hour or longer prior to putting my pies on the stone. My guess is it will hold that temp as long as your lump is maintained to adequately keep it there.

Thanks Texas. My primary interest would be for Butts, Ribs, and maybe a Brisket.
    With a full load of fresh lump the XL will hold steady temps in the 250 to 350 range for 20+ hours if I use the daisy wheel and the DigiQ.
    I'll have to try topless at 325 or so for the next butt.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited June 2018
    Options
    There are a lot of ways to skin the cat temp control wise. No shame in using the top or bottom to control your fire. For me personally, I use different methods based upon what I’m cooking. By using a top, you are restricting the airflow at the dome causing more reflective heat for even cooking. Spatchcock and pizza are good examples of where you want a good amount of reflective heat. Other things I believe benefit from an open top and more a direct intake/exhaust. Steaks, chops and burgers benefit from an open top in my opinion. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    JohnH12 said:
    JohnH12 said:
    Couple of questions:
    I have an XL.

Thanks Texas. My primary interest would be for Butts, Ribs, and maybe a Brisket.
    With a full load of fresh lump the XL will hold steady temps in the 250 to 350 range for 20+ hours if I use the daisy wheel and the DigiQ.
    I'll have to try topless at 325 or so for the next butt.
    Anything for an extended period 2+hours benefits from a daisy being on. It can start to get funky. Any bbq meats (butts,ribs,brisket) I would use the daisy. But as @DoubleEgger said anything short cook time it’s fine without it.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    300° or so is my lowest. Haven't tried lower though I keep meaning to try 250°. Longest I recall were some 310-320° turbo butts. On at 9-10AM, done by 5:30-6PM so pretty steady for 8-9 hours. No reason it wouldn't go longer. Mine's a large.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut