Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

These are huge!

Options
jabam
jabam Posts: 1,829
SHMBO found these at the local grocery store, they were vacuum sealed sold as bulk. I have never seen a Tri Tip this big and there were 4 of them. 

Having a college grad party for my daughter and she insisted on Tri Tip

The package said it was 19.5 lbs @ 2.95 a lb
just out of curiosity I weighed the trimmings, o trimmmed a total of 3.9 lbs. still pretty good price for me. Trimmed and marinaded for Saturday cook. Providing I don’t over indulge on the adult beverages I will post results. Have a good weekend!
Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited June 2018
    Options

Those are huge!  Any youngster that specifically requests TT has obviously been raised well.  Enjoy your party.

Phoenix 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    What are you using for marinade?
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Wow $2.95 a lb! Can't get TT for less than $10.50 here in the tidewater area, IF you can find it. (And yes, that is a big if.)
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Great score! Congrats to Mom and Dad for the graduation party. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    jabam said:
    SHMBO found these at the local grocery store, they were vacuum sealed sold as bulk. I have never seen a Tri Tip this big and there were 4 of them. 

just out of curiosity I weighed the trimmings, o trimmmed a total of 3.9 lbs. still pretty good price for me. Trimmed and marinaded for Saturday cook. Providing I don’t over indulge on the adult beverages I will post results. Have a good weekend!
    Smart and Final? Sometimes there's are a better deal than Costco
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jealous of those and your availability to them. Go for greatness with those. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jabam
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I use soy sauce, Worcester, 1 can of beer, fresh juice from 2 lemons, couple tbls of honey, salt , pepper, cumin and bay leaves  
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • jabam
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    jabam said:

Actually got these at the Cost Less store here in Hanford. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Envy. Scarce and small around here.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    jabam said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I use soy sauce, Worcester, 1 can of beer, fresh juice from 2 lemons, couple tbls of honey, salt , pepper, cumin and bay leaves  
    Thanks for sharing...sounds like a great marinade I will have to try sometime.  Those are some great looking TriTips...looking forward to seeing finished pics.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    jabam said:

Funny you mention Costco. Tri tip seems to be an American thing. I don't know that I've ever hear of them in Ontario. But wait, I'm in Costco last week and I see they're available in Ontario.

I'm going to pick some up tonight for the weekend.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• northGAcock
    Options
    Just went to my butcher to purchase a few items for the Sauce and Rub Exchange, asked them to cut me a TriTip while I was looking. Was asked how big i wanted and I responded with big. Didn't pay much attention to what they were doing and they brought it to the register and added to my S&R purchases. When I got home and unpacked.....I see that they gave sold me a 1.5lb cut. I was deeply disappointed.....which speaks to my earlier response above.  :s

• jabam
    Options
    Just went to my butcher to purchase a few items for the Sauce and Rub Exchange, asked them to cut me a TriTip while I was looking. Was asked how big i wanted and I responded with big. Didn't pay much attention to what they were doing and they brought it to the register and added to my S&R purchases. When I got home and unpacked.....I see that they gave sold me a 1.5lb cut. I was deeply disappointed.....which speaks to my earlier response above.  :s
    I forgot to mention, the label said these were a product of Canada, didn’t say what area, so I’m guessing there areas in Canada that are big in Tri Tip. 

I’m thinking your butcher probably doesn’t have a lot of experience with Tri Tip
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Can you please clarify one thing in your post.   What exactly is a SHMBO?  
  • jabam
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Can you please clarify one thing in your post.   What exactly is a SHMBO?  
    She Who Must Be Obeyed. ( my better half)

i just realized i miss miss spelled it. Lol

• northGAcock
    Options
    jabam said:
    I forgot to mention, the label said these were a product of Canada, didn’t say what area, so I’m guessing there areas in Canada that are big in Tri Tip. 

I’m thinking your butcher probably doesn’t have a lot of experience with Tri Tip
    I actually purchase them quite often. The frequently have them in the meat case....but not today. I am seldom disappointed....but today was a different story.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    That's what he said.
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Damn good score my man!!!
    O-Town, FL

• jabam
    Options
    Tri Tip on the egg. Put the 2nd two on 1/2 hour after the first, o I would have time to slice. Sorry, no sliced pics! Too much going on, people
    were eating it as fast I sliced it. Was very tasty, but not as tender as I’m used too, thinking maybe the size had something to do with it. 

But it still got ate up, had a great time with family and friends, we hadn’t seen in awhile!!
  • jabam
    Options
    Forgot second pic
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    That's some serious protein right there.  Enjoy the banquet and party.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.