Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin Appetizers?

Options
zman51
zman51 Posts: 133
Hey All,
I was given two nice frozen pork loins from some friends headed back north for summer. We are throwing a small party Saturday and would like to create some kind of finger food from these loins. Any suggestions?
Central Florida

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Do you mean Loin or Tenderloin?  The full Loin is a pretty big cut of meat so making finger foods out of it seems kinda odd. If you're talking the tenderloin then we've got some options. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • zman51
    Options
    Actually one of each :)
    Central Florida
  • SonVolt
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Tenderloin can be cut into 1" cubes, marinated in your choice, then threaded onto skewers and grilled hot and fast. You can use small "Yakitori" style skewers if you want to keep it finger-food-friendly. 

Could also wrap the cubes in thinly sliced bacon and secure it with toothpicks, then brushed with a sweet maple glaze on the grill while the bacon crisps up. Replace with fresh toothpicks for serving if they get too charred or burned up.

Or you could grill it whole (seasoning/marindate of your choice) then slice into thin medallions and server over toast, crackers, pita etc. 

The Loin is too big IMO for "finger foods", it's a meal...  

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • zman51
    Options
    thanks a bunch!
    Central Florida
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    roast pork loin sliced thin makes a great sandwich, you could to sliders with it. tenderloin works good for char siu on a stick
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    roast pork loin sliced thin makes a great sandwich, you could to sliders with it. tenderloin works good for char siu on a stick
    This right here is what I would do.  Could do the APL cilantro and garlic pork loin recipe and slice thin and make sliders on hawaiian rolls.  Would be awesome.  

Little Rock, AR

• SonVolt
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Sliders is pretty heavy for appetizers I would think... unless you got some big ol' boys coming. Or my mother-in-law...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Make it happen!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Sliders is pretty heavy for appetizers I would think... unless you got some big ol' boys coming. Or my mother-in-law...
    I just read where he said small finger food. Kinda glossed over “appetizers”. I mean seriously, who the hell reads the title anyway?

Little Rock, AR

• JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    Maybe cut the loin into 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes, marinate, skewer, and grill for single cube souvlakis.  A little tzatziki, some chopped dill, lemon zest, on a bit of good crusty oiled grilled bread.  Can’t get much better than that IMHO.  The marinate is easy... olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic powder, and a bit of a salt and pepper.  And don’t forget to finish the grilled meat with a splash of lemon juice before serving.
    Southwestern CT
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    I just bought a half pork loin. I am thinking a souvlaki type marinade also but I bought Meyer lemons just for a little variety.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have made appies from cubed marinated pork loin with a light peach glaze numerous times. Lightly smoked, with peach, they do not last long. Be sure to use pickling salt, molasses to brine for 12-24 hours, prior to marinade. It has become a neighborhood fave.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Cut it into 1 inch by 1/2 inch strips, make pork satay with a peanut dipping sauce. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • zman51
    Options
    Dang, what great ideas. Thanks
    Central Florida