Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs ala amazingribs.com

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
Last time I smoked Baby Backs and brined 2 hrs prior to applying rub. This time I salt brined overnight. They were good but a little too salty for my tastes. Next cook I will smoke baby Backs and spares but only brine 2 hrs prior to compare.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    They don't look to salty to me  :)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dstearn
    Options
    My SWMBO said so therefore it must be true.:-)
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    You shouldnt have to brine ribs. Just rub them down like 12-24 hours ahead of time. 

Those look good however! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• dstearn
    Options
    You shouldnt have to brine ribs. Just rub them down like 12-24 hours ahead of time. 

Those look good however! 
    Most rubs contain salt. This method uses a non salt rub  recipe. The salt penetrates the meat and promotes moisture during the cook. The recipe calls
    for applying kosher salt 2 hrs prior to the cook. The salt penetrates the meat but the other ingredients in the rub stay on the surface.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    They look GREAT!

I don't brine, but usually put a rub on overnight, which does a bit of "dry brining," I think.
  • dstearn
    Options
    Theophan said:
    They look GREAT!

I don't brine, but usually put a rub on overnight, which does a bit of "dry brining," I think.
    Thanks, yes there is salt in most ribs. Amazingribs does a good job of explaining there method which does make a lot of sense. When I tried the recipe on BB ribs a few weeks ago they were the best ribs I have smoked on the BGE so far. The Kosher salt penetrates the meat and draws out the moisture.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Theophan said:
    They look GREAT!

Thanks, yes there is salt in most ribs. Amazingribs does a good job of explaining there method which does make a lot of sense. When I tried the recipe on BB ribs a few weeks ago they were the best ribs I have smoked on the BGE so far. The Kosher salt penetrates the meat and draws out the moisture.
    I must be missing something here... Why do you want to draw out the moisture from the rib meat?
  • dstearn
    Options
    Rascal said:
    dstearn said:
    Theophan said:
    They look GREAT!

I must be missing something here... Why do you want to draw out the moisture from the rib meat?
    Should have said there is salt in most ribs.
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/salting-brining-curing-and-injecting/salting-and-wet-brining-flavorize-moisturize
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Interesting, have never wet or dry brined ribs. Using a rub with a salt component, rubbed the ribs about 4 hours before they hit the smoker. Stored uncovered in the fridge for the full four hours to ensure the ribs are cold. The salted rub will sweat the ribs then the ribs will reabsorb much of the moisture. Much improved smoke ring in that it is my understanding that once the rib temps exceed about 150ºF, the smoke ring has done its thing.  
    Your ribs look great. SWMBO likes her ribs with a sweet and tangy sauce. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!