Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

7 or 8 butts in an XL?

Options
Wowens
Wowens Posts: 115
I'm doing a big cook this weekend, and need to do 7 or 8 butts on my XL.  I've got a second grid.  I'm pretty confident I can get 4 on bottom, and 3 up top.  Can I get an 8th one on there?  The butts will be from Sam's, so they will be about 8lbs each. 

Also with 4 on bottom, some of the edges will probably hang out past the plate setter, should I put a piece of aluminum foils under the part hanging out?
Thanks for all the help, any picks of setup would be appreciated. 

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    How big are they? You should easily be able to get 5 on bottom if they are smaller

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    Dwayne - @DMW - can probably answer this one.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

I did five shoulders for a graduation party and could have done more.  I did it on my XL with AR.  Seven would be easy, eight can be done.

One thing of note: that many shoulders is going to put off a lot of drippings.  WATCH YOUR DRIP PAN and empty it as needed.

Plan the cook beforehand.  You can take the still wrapped shoulders and come up with a configuration on the grill before your cook. 

Good Luck!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Options
    I've done 9 with the rig.  5 on on the main grill and 4 on the top.  I do not do drip pans.  Just do some burn off after the cook. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yes, you can fit 8 on an XL with a second tier. I have a pic on here somewhere of it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tymaier
    tymaier Posts: 93
    Options
    Have done (6) 8lb on a Large so I’m sure this is possible. Drippings are gonna get crazy through.
  • Wowens
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back, I’ve got 7 butts cooking now. Somewhere close to 55lbs. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Nice. You might need to rotate them around during the cook. The upper level butts tend to cook a little faster. 
  • Wowens
    Options
    All of them came out great.  The ones up top finished about an hour before the last one on the bottom was done. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Excellent. 

Drip pan?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• grillman14
    grillman14 Posts: 63
    Options
    Remember that grilling is more than preparing food… It’s time with family and friends, it’s your heritage and childhood memories….
  • grillman14
    grillman14 Posts: 63
    Options
    12 Butts on XXL !! Pork inside temp 32... took 26hrs to reach 203... I started the egg at 10am on Thursday and it was still at 225 at 9 pm Friday night!! Never added charcoal!! 
    Remember that grilling is more than preparing food… It’s time with family and friends, it’s your heritage and childhood memories….
  • Wowens
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Excellent. 

Drip pan?
    I had 2 I thin 9x13 pans.  Caught most of the drippings, and there were a lot.