Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza fail

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
FML

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Got Parchment?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Truth.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    I've done that.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Looks like my very first pizza, although done in an oven.  I used a metal peel, didn't flour the bottom of the dough enough*, and snapping the pizza onto the stone resulted in the sauce, cheese, and toppings transferring perfectly, sans dough.  Is that what happened to you?

* you cannot flour the bottom of a pizza enough to slide off a metal peel reliably; once I got a wood peel for putting the 'za's onto the stone, problem solved (kept the metal peel for removal, allowing me to build the next pizza on the wood one as the previous pie cooked).  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Scantron
    Scantron Posts: 93
    Options
    It's nice to see the fails as well. We all have them! 
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Thanks for sharing Hans.  For some reason, my fails only happen when I'm cooking for others.
    Phoenix 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    I've done that.
    Me too.  It happens.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    That would make me sad, hope you had another lined up.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Hans61
    Options
    Botch said:
    Looks like my very first pizza, although done in an oven.  I used a metal peel, didn't flour the bottom of the dough enough*, and snapping the pizza onto the stone resulted in the sauce, cheese, and toppings transferring perfectly, sans dough.  Is that what happened to you?

* you cannot flour the bottom of a pizza enough to slide off a metal peel reliably; once I got a wood peel for putting the 'za's onto the stone, problem solved (kept the metal peel for removal, allowing me to build the next pizza on the wood one as the previous pie cooked).  

Yeah it was sticky
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    I would have scraped her up and gave it a go.. Thanks for posting it up.. I had fails like that in my oven.. hate cleaning cheese off the bottom.
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • Hans61
    Options
    Stubby said:
    I would have scraped her up and gave it a go.. Thanks for posting it up.. I had fails like that in my oven.. hate cleaning cheese off the bottom.
    we were able to eat some of it
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I had a similar pizza failure this weekend. I lit my xl and got the coals going. Apparently time got away from me. I checked and it was at 450. I went ahead and put my first pie on and checked it after 4 minutes to rotate it and noticed it seemed to be cooking a little fast. Another 4 minutes and I checked again to find it burned. I then realized after closing the bottom vent that I had wrapped my thermometer. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Stubby said:
    we were able to eat some of it
    Good.  We all have our fails.  I find I learn more from my fails than my wins.  Carry on brother.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I had a similar expierence my first couple of puzza’s. What ever you do, don’t get discouraged. Stay the course. Took me about a dozen times to dial it in. Once you get the transfer mastered, work with your doughs. Eventually it all comes together. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Been there, scraped it into a pile and ate it ;-) luckily bachelor night 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Been there, scraped it into a pile and ate it ;-) luckily bachelor night 

I believe the fancy pants people on TV call this deconstructed.

Phoenix 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I've turned a few pizzas into calzones after they just didn't want to come off the peel right.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I'm sorry this happened. I havevn't had a full failure, but some that required some adjustment.

If I can offer a tip for those using corn meal or similar: jiggle the pizza and swish it around a little before you launch to make sure it isn't sticking.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Hans61
    Options
    2-3 weeks ago we made our own dough it went well. This was traders joe dough and the culprit was not enough flour. Lesson learned :-)

also will look into the wood peel and/or using parchment paper 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    2-3 weeks ago we made our own dough it went well. This was traders joe dough and the culprit was not enough flour. Lesson learned :-)

also will look into the wood peel and/or using parchment paper 
    I’m a fan of parchment.  You can prepare a couple pies in advance and rock them out.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    You can also oil a pizza pan, build the dough on that, put the pan onto the pizza stone then remove once the dough sets up a little.  Thanks for sharing!  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • alaskanassasin
    edited May 2018
    Options
    My failure was a small hole in the dough when rolling it out, I saw it, but holes have never been a problem on a pan in the oven.... but leakage on the stone was catastrophic. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Hans61
    Options
    Any pro tips for cleaning the stone?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Flip it over and fire it up.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hans61
    Options
    DMW said:
    Hans61 said:
    So obvious. Thanks man
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    I've done that.
    Me too.  It happens.
    +1.

Luckily, you have a bunch of folks here with tons of pizza experience (i'm not one of them) who can help out. 

Wood peel for launching and parchment paper are good tips. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    DMW said:
    Hans61 said:
    So obvious. Thanks man
    Been there, done that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Fail is only when you did not gain knowledge from results that were not what you expected.
    You did not fail. You gained valuable experience. You were not 100% wrong on this cook, you were just a little less than 100% right.
    Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    Options
    Make your pizza on one of these (a perforated pizza pan). Place it on top of the stone for 5 mins. Then slide it directly onto the stone. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000D8CAO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    If your talking about the aftermath I use a dough scraper, works great for scraping detritus off.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.