Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Spare Ribs

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
edited April 2018 in EggHead Forum
I know what everyone says about @henapple, and for the most part I agree, he's a mean-spirited troll. However, at BB18 on Saturday he was one of the raffle winners. And rather than pick something out he could take back with him on a flight, he walked back with a rack of SRF spares and hands it to me.

So today I got the Small rolling at 250* with Rockwood lump and Jack Daniels Oak chips. 

Split the rack in half:

Salted them and then coated with Memphis Dust and on the small just after 10:00:

Checked on them around 1:30 this afternoon:

And they were cooking fast, never had spares fell like they did after only 3.5 hours at 250*

When I checked back on them at 3:30, they were done:

Held them in the oven at 170* for just over an hour until we needed the oven to roast potatoes, so they then went in an insulated casserole carrier thing we have until it was time to eat.

And:

The flavor of the meat on these was so much better than grocery store ribs, though they are smaller than other spares out there. SRF is quite clear about this on their site, and I've made them before, so wasn't a surprise, just a note for those not familiar with them.

Thanks @SRF_Sean  for the generous donation.

And @henapple, I don't care what the others say, you're a good dude, thanks again.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks great Dwayne!  Mine are rubbed and riding overnight in the fridge for tomorrow.  Agree with kudos to @SRFANNELLA for their generosity.  And @henapple, had you given me the spares you might still have that hideous hat  B)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  Congrats on the cook.  I may have to wander from the SRF brisket wilderness and give them a go-but I'm also partial to beef ribs.
    I'm surprised that @henapple didn't work those into his bacon-wrapped underwear or decide to go with meat sweats luggage.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Guys just a note that all the SRF stuff actually came courtesy of @SRF_Sean.  Cheers!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Look like you did them justice!  Nice work and super nice handoff from @henapple
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Guys just a note that all the SRF stuff actually came courtesy of @SRF_Sean.  Cheers!
    Correction then, thanks very much @SRF_Sean!  
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Dwayne, what was the total cook time and temp.  More like BB it seems.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Went on at 10:04AM, came off at 3:33PM. 5:29 total cook time at 250* +/- dome temp.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    Options
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    Went on at 10:04AM, came off at 3:33PM. 5:29 total cook time at 250* +/- dome temp.
    Thank you brother.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Dwayne, you truly are the rally champion. 

I havent even gotten mine out of my cooler yet. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    Options

Its good there for a couple years there Adam.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Serve them at BB4, while you recover.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SRF_Sean
    SRF_Sean Posts: 15
    Options
    Our pleasure. Sorry it was all a year late. And we hope the event was as good as it sounds.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    b@bgebrent I’m a little afraid to open it. 

@northGAcock May have left a retaliation present in there. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited April 2018
    Options
    b@bgebrent I’m a little afraid to open it. 

@northGAcock May have left a retaliation present in there. 
    ......nothing you need to worry about right now. You are safe for a period of one year.....BBIIII, all bets are off.

If you are referencing the Pork Collar....Here is a couple ways to prepare. You should do this for a group of 4-5 people. Do it at home (in my opinion) as it is not a shareable item for a large group...in my opinion. 

A couple of ways to do these.....and I love both. You can cut them into steaks and cook as you would a steak. They are delicious.

The other approach is to go low and slow like you would a butt. The big difference is you don't go to extreme internal temps.....as you can pull starting at around 160 degrees IT. You can go up to around 175 with no issue. After a rest....cut them into steak size portions and here you have a choice. Either enjoy the meat as is.....or you can sear both sides in cast iron in a combination of butter and olive oil. This will add a nice crust....if you like it that way. Bottom line is it is a great cut of meat and you have flexibility in preparation methods.....with much joy to be had at the end of each.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Great flavor but gotta watch those little suckers. Looks like you nailed it my friend

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @DMW Rocking the Ribs. Nice

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I enjoy them for sure. Great flavor, and good size for us to have as a family. 

Cost is probably slightly higher by maybe 5-8 bucks than I’d spend for a regular item. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Me likey. 

@henapple may be one of my favorite old men.

But don’t tell him I said that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.