Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Ham that Tastes Like Ham

danguba78danguba78 Posts: 76
edited April 9 in EggHead Forum
Hat tip to @Mickey for the name and method—a Costco spiral sliced ham smoked over apple and cherry at 275ish indirect on a MiniMax. Really phenomenal taste—smoky, salty, delicious. I like this a lot better than the candied hams that are more typical. 

Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
XLBGE, MiniMax BGE

Comments

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,354
    Best way to do a ham!  

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,887
    Only way my family will eat it. 
    Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• MickeyMickey Posts: 18,887
    Very nice ham
    Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• bluebird66bluebird66 Posts: 2,176
    That's the way I like all of my spiral cut hams.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• TeefusTeefus Posts: 716
    Good call. I did the same thing on Easter Sunday. Avoid the glaze, embrace the smoke. Some of the leftovers made an epic batch of bean soup yesterday.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,777
    The glazed hams are too sweet for us. Mickey's ham rocks.

And those pics belong in a magazine!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FockerFocker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 9
    Cute lil' ham.  :)
    I can see where a glaze might be too much for a spiral 3 pounder.  Don't think it really matters in the grand scheme on a full sized adult one.   ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 3,730
    As others have said, that's the way to cook a ham. My family absolutely loves these. They are so easy to cook it almost seems like cheating.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven.
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,811
    Great cook and great pictures!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 3,730
    As others have said, that's the way to cook a ham. My family absolutely loves these. They are so easy to cook it almost seems like cheating.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven.
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,215
    Rock on dude. Great post of a delicious cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SSQUAL612SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,047
    Can you spare a sammi?
    Temple, TX   XL BGE 2016, MES, 18.5 WSM,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen