Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham that Tastes Like Ham

Options
danguba78
danguba78 Posts: 92
edited April 2018 in EggHead Forum
Hat tip to @Mickey for the name and method—a Costco spiral sliced ham smoked over apple and cherry at 275ish indirect on a MiniMax. Really phenomenal taste—smoky, salty, delicious. I like this a lot better than the candied hams that are more typical. 

Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
XLBGE, MiniMax BGE

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Best way to do a ham!  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Only way my family will eat it. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice ham
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    That's the way I like all of my spiral cut hams.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Good call. I did the same thing on Easter Sunday. Avoid the glaze, embrace the smoke. Some of the leftovers made an epic batch of bean soup yesterday.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The glazed hams are too sweet for us. Mickey's ham rocks.

And those pics belong in a magazine!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Cute lil' ham.  :)
    I can see where a glaze might be too much for a spiral 3 pounder.  Don't think it really matters in the grand scheme on a full sized adult one.   ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    As others have said, that's the way to cook a ham. My family absolutely loves these. They are so easy to cook it almost seems like cheating.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great cook and great pictures!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    As others have said, that's the way to cook a ham. My family absolutely loves these. They are so easy to cook it almost seems like cheating.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rock on dude. Great post of a delicious cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Can you spare a sammi?
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen