Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Why did Travis cook my brisket so fast?

Austin01Austin01 Posts: 5
I had a 9# prime brisket reach the finish line in 6 hours.  I was planning for an hour per pound with a hour or so to rest. Followed the Travis method to a T.  Is this unusual?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 17,674
    Liquid is a much better conductor of heat than air...
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,770
    And depending on your calibrated dome thermo cook temp, that is not out of line with recent cow behavior.  
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • Turbo boiled. 

Little Rock, AR

• Austin01Austin01 Posts: 5
    The dome temp was 300 and grate at 285ish.  I’m not complaint about cook time.  It’s dinner time I’m worried about.  I left it in the pan and FTC.  I assume it will ride out till 530.  Pulled at 12:30.  Also thanks Lousubcap.  
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 11,562
    Props for filing this thread under “Beef” and not “Boil”
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

• Austin01Austin01 Posts: 5
    What do you mean boil?   Went 30 min in rolling boil before the smoker!!   
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,770
    With a good FTC you will make it the 5 hours just fine.  If I recall right, the food safety guidelines are less than 4 hours in the 40-140*F window.  You are well clear of that.  FWIW-
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.