Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aging Question

Options
bonsett
bonsett Posts: 2
I have a 7lb prime rib dry aging in the fridge for 9 days.  Can I slice off a steak to grill today and put the rest back in the fridge to age more?

Sam

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Yes.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bonsett
    bonsett Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you Focker!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    You can but it's not going to have picked up much of any additional flavor from 9 days.  I'd leave it on there and just go to the grocery store to pick up a fresh steak.  I know it's Easter but the ones around here at least are still open.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @bonsett
    Absolutely you can slice some off. On that same note, I recommend to folks who have never really tried much dry aged meat to do that very thing around day 14. Why? Not everyone likes meat aged past a certain point. It’s simply a matter of personal taste and preference. 
    With that said, it would be a total waste of time and money to age something 45 days only to figure out that you don’t like it. We all like different things. Some prefer 21 day aged over 45 and vice verca. By sampling at different stages, one can determine what they like best. You can always keep aging what you didn’t cut off, but you can’t reverse the process. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    SGH said:
    @bonsett
    Absolutely you can slice some off. On that same note, I recommend to folks who have never really tried much dry aged meat to do that very thing around day 14. Why? Not everyone likes meat aged past a certain point. It’s simply a matter of personal taste and preference. 
    With that said, it would be a total waste of time and money to age something 45 days only to figure out that you don’t like it. We all like different things. Some prefer 21 day aged over 45 and vice verca. By sampling at different stages, one can determine what they like best. You can always keep aging what you didn’t cut off, but you can’t reverse the process. 
    That’s really deep man.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    That’s really deep man.

Well he does work offshore.
    B) 

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    For me 28 days is a minimum to start getting the DA taste and crust.  I like Scottie’s thinking above.  You’ll reset to some degree the crust on the end you harvest the steak however.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga