Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Dry Aging Question

bonsettbonsett Posts: 2
I have a 7lb prime rib dry aging in the fridge for 9 days.  Can I slice off a steak to grill today and put the rest back in the fridge to age more?

Sam

Comments

• FockerFocker Posts: 8,263
    Yes.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bonsettbonsett Posts: 2
    Thank you Focker!
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 11,562
    You can but it's not going to have picked up much of any additional flavor from 9 days.  I'd leave it on there and just go to the grocery store to pick up a fresh steak.  I know it's Easter but the ones around here at least are still open.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

• SGHSGH Posts: 24,064
    @bonsett
    Absolutely you can slice some off. On that same note, I recommend to folks who have never really tried much dry aged meat to do that very thing around day 14. Why? Not everyone likes meat aged past a certain point. It’s simply a matter of personal taste and preference. 
    With that said, it would be a total waste of time and money to age something 45 days only to figure out that you don’t like it. We all like different things. Some prefer 21 day aged over 45 and vice verca. By sampling at different stages, one can determine what they like best. You can always keep aging what you didn’t cut off, but you can’t reverse the process. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 11,562
    SGH said:
    @bonsett
    Absolutely you can slice some off. On that same note, I recommend to folks who have never really tried much dry aged meat to do that very thing around day 14. Why? Not everyone likes meat aged past a certain point. It’s simply a matter of personal taste and preference. 
    With that said, it would be a total waste of time and money to age something 45 days only to figure out that you don’t like it. We all like different things. Some prefer 21 day aged over 45 and vice verca. By sampling at different stages, one can determine what they like best. You can always keep aging what you didn’t cut off, but you can’t reverse the process. 
    That’s really deep man.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

• bud812bud812 Posts: 1,848
    That’s really deep man.

Well he does work offshore. B) 

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,465
    For me 28 days is a minimum to start getting the DA taste and crust.  I like Scottie’s thinking above.  You’ll reset to some degree the crust on the end you harvest the steak however.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga