Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Crawfish/Shrimp Cooker

Options

Comments

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    @nolaegghead

I just placed my order with JD. You're right in that he is a super nice gentlemen to work with.

Thanks again!
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    That looks like one I made for a local guy.
  • Tspud1
    Options
    SGH said:
    nolan8v said:
    I will be able to answer the cleaning question tomorrow  =)
    How many BTU's?
    It's going to take a lot to get 35 gallons to boil
  • nolan8v
    Options
    Put wheels on tonight
    What size wheels are these? I will need to buy some as well.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• nolan8v
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    SGH said:
    nolan8v said:
    I will be able to answer the cleaning question tomorrow  =)
    How many BTU's?
    It's going to take a lot to get 35 gallons to boil
    Per R&V Works specifications, his burners produce 360,000 BTU.
    Chris Rose 

• nolan8v
    Options
    Tspud1 said:

What is the aluminum's thickness?
    Chris Rose 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Very impressive cooking machines. I do like the upgrades, too. Wheels on, has to be convenient as F for dumping/cleaning.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited March 2018
    Options
    This thread inspired me to find and visit my local seafood spot that offers crawfish. I ordered *way* to much food and wound up leaving some behind. Dang tasty with the sausage, corn, and potato. First timer.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Tspud1
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    Tspud1 said:

16 gauge type 304 stainless 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @nolaegghead
    Got a new cooler to go with the boiler. It’s almost exactly the same length, depth and width as the boiler.  

Now all I need is some shrimp and crawfish  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    This thread is another indirect wallet genocide©  (@YukonRon) organized attack. I will manage to pass as I have a good 'ol LSU grad that is quite serious about crawfish-and willing to share.  Go forth and invest in the good 'ol USA.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    Mine is 3/16. In “gauge” it’s #7. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    ....this will be nice as i can wheel it to the storm drain and open the valve to drain.
    I have no use for a cooker like this, but for some reason I really want one. 
    https://youtu.be/TMVEK4WvzqE

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @SGH New toys are always fun. Standing by for an epic cook. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Curious if the crab boil seasonings will discolor the coolers? 
    Jacksonville FL
  • SGH
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I will let you know Saturday evening. Going to give it the inaugural test fire. A sack of crawfish and 10 pounds of shrimp are on the menu. And yes, they are going in the cooler. So will will know for sure one way or the other.  

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nothing some bleach can't fix.
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @SGH New toys are always fun. Standing by for an epic cook. 
    It may not be epic brother Aggie, but I’m sure going to give it a whirl my friend. For better or for worse  =)

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I see a TRUMP2020 Fundraiser in your future, Scottie!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    SGH said:
    Dobie said:
    I will let you know Saturday evening. Going to give it the inaugural test fire. A sack of crawfish and 10 pounds of shrimp are on the menu. And yes, they are going in the cooler. So will will know for sure one way or the other.  
    I'm sure You People know not to let hot crawfish sit in a cooler unless you are eating them right away because they will instantly cook themselves into mush, right?
    NOLA
  • SGH
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    SGH said:
    Dobie said:
    I'm sure You People know not to let hot crawfish sit in a cooler unless you are eating them right away because they will instantly cook themselves into mush, right?
    Yes sir. I’m just using the cooler to catch them in. I’m dying to try the dump basket so I have to dump them into something big enough to hold all of them. Once I dump them in the cooler I will dump the cooler onto a table. 
    On a related note, that’s definitely great advice for anyone who wasn’t aware of the over cooking. I should of pointed that out myself.  I’m slipping my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    The cooler will work well if you have to store the live crawfish.  Put some ice on the bottom, open the drain plug, put some ice on top and don't seal the lid.  Crawfish can suffocate and they can drown. 
    Options
    SGH said:
    buzd504 said:
    SGH said:
    Dobie said:
    Yes sir. I’m just using the cooler to catch them in. I’m dying to try the dump basket so I have to dump them into something big enough to hold all of them. Once I dump them in the cooler I will dump the cooler onto a table. 
    On a related note, that’s definitely great advice for anyone who wasn’t aware of the over cooking. I should of pointed that out myself.  I’m slipping my friend.  
    That's an acceptable strategy.  Please proceed.
    NOLA
  • nolan8v
    Options
    I use a large metal tub.
    Chris Rose 

• Tspud1
    Options
    SGH said:
    nolan8v said:
    Mine is 3/16. In “gauge” it’s #7. 
    Sorry, I thought that was meant for me. How does aluminum hold up to heat? Must have a high quality alloy
  • SGH
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    How does aluminum hold up to heat? Must have a high quality alloy
    These units are heavy duty. They are thicker than the average pot that is traditionally used for boiling. As such, with a little care they should provide a lifetime of use. 
    On that note, they are still made of aluminum. You should never light the boiler without water in it. The jet burners put out a massive amount of concentrated heat and will quickly damage the unit if it’s dry. This is also true of any aluminum pot or pan that you are using on a high powered jet burner or ring jet burner. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Aluminum is better at conducting heat than SS, CI or steel. 

My unit is made with 5052 Alloy, which is mixed with, primarily, magnesium and chromium.  It has excellent salt water resistance, and the boil is hot salt water.
    Options
    Aluminum is better at conducting heat than SS, CI or steel. 

True. With that said, I’m considering building a replica of my boiler out of SS. I have a little bit of 1/4 thick, grade 316SS that I got off of a previous job. It would no doubt be heavier and it would take a little longer to come up to boil, but it would be darn near indestructible. I could circumvent the taking longer to boil by building larger, more powerful jet burners. Just a thought that I have been pondering.

Status- Standing by.