Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Burnt Ends-Malcom Reed with @Sea2Ski's adaptation

Don't post many stand-alone food threads but today I finally got around to another batch of pork belly burnt ends modified by a recommendation from @Sea2Ski.  Definitely an upgrade.  Here is the link to the foundation:
http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/  and the modification:
"Shortened the smoking step a bit, braised them a hair longer (I think this was the key) then took them out of the braise and placed back on the grill indirect for about 15 mins to firm up the “bark”, Then I tossed them in the glaze in the pan as normal.  Doing it as Malcom did it, I had about 60-70% done perfectly. My modified method took success to 98%."
Here's a typical low quality pic of the outcome:

A definite keeper.  I am about to enter LEO on a pork belly high!  You really need to give this cook a go.
Thanks for lookin'.
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Great looking cook. Nice upgrade.  Malcom Reed is my hero.  I've tried several of his recipes and they've all been great.  His Smoked Baked Beans consistently get high marks at my get togethers.  He seems like a genuinely good guy, too.
    "Get in my belly!" - Fat Bastard

LBGE - Kick Ash Basket, SS Smokeware Cap, CGS PSWoo-CI, Spider, Wok, Broil King Gasser
    Noblesville, IN
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Delicious Frank,
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    This is a keeper cook in my book!
    Glad the modification in the timing of the steps helped you out and I hope it helped significantly.

I believe the key is to lengthen the braise and make sure there is only one layer in the pan during that step. Last time I made them, I did not flip mid way through. Next time I will take 10 min to do that to see if we can perfect this cook.
    Lots of variables with this one though: size of the cubes, temperature/duration of the smoking phase, fat/meat ratio in each cube....  I have no doubt that it is going to be nearly impossible to have every piece perfect, but if we can make some small adjustments, we can get really close!
    Guess we will just have to practice some more, huh? Bummer...
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Nice cook Cap!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Looking good @lousubcap!!
    Thanks for the tips @Sea2Ski
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    @Sea2Ski - You have nailed it- "Lots of variables with this one though: size of the cubes, temperature/duration of the smoking phase, fat/meat ratio in each cube.... "  Fortunately the good 'ol belly is a bit more forgiving than the friggin cow.  I actually think the step where you take them out of the braise and hit 'em with heat is key to tightening them up and then nailing the finish.   That's my story tonight and I will run with it on the next go 'round. Q cook experimenting is fun!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    That had to be awesome. Loved the cook. I keep learning from the real pros in this forum.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Very nice Frank!!  Got to try them
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    Get to Costco-most likely the meat case will have sliced bellies.  Just ask one of the him/her in the back for an uncut belly.  You will then be rewarded.  I find a 4-5 lb belly is a great size but Reed's recipe is based on an 8 lb 'er.  FWIW-
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Dude!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Everytime I see this I say I’m going to try it. Next trip to Costco I’m coming home with a pork belly. Thanks @lousubcap and @Sea2Ski for the pro tips!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
     Beautiful cook. I will be trying these soon thanks to you. You are more of an inspiration than I think you know. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I have a 9 lb belly (from Business Costco) in the fridge that I was planning on cooking following Malcom’s recipe but I’m thinking I should try these adjustments as well.  Thx to @lousubcap and @Sea2Ski for sharing your cooks.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • PezHead65
    PezHead65 Posts: 1
    Can you define "a bit" when talking about the shortened smoke and lengthened braise times?  Are you talking 15 minutes less smoke and 15 minutes more braise?
  • lousubcap
    Here's the time-line I used on the above cook:
    Around 2.5 hours initial cook, then braise for 1.75 hrs.  1/4 hr on the grate (I think this is a key step) and then 5 minutes with the glaze.  Hope this helps.  
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    I made these this weekend (no pics!) but the last few times I have made them have been perfect and quite a bit simpler. 

I cube and rub (and I always look for a nice even-thickness lean (for pork belly, meaning a high meat ratio) piece, dry brine in the fridge (at least a few hours but I like about 8 to 10), and then smoke at 250 for a couple of hours.  Then into an aluminum pan (no butter no sugar no sauce no liquid), tightly wrapped, and back in for a couple of hours.  Then take off the foil cover, toss with sauce, and back in (still in the pan) for about 15 minutes at around 350.  

That's how I do it and having done it both ways I actually prefer it but the difference is negligible.
    Toronto ON
  • lousubcap said:
    Get to Costco-most likely the meat case will have sliced bellies.  Just ask one of the him/her in the back for an uncut belly.  You will then be rewarded.  I find a 4-5 lb belly is a great size but Reed's recipe is based on an 8 lb 'er.  FWIW-
    Does your Costco’s sell the belly skin on, or skin off?
    Southwestern CT
  • lousubcap
    Always find them skin off-
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Looking Good Captain!  Gonna have to try these again...my first attempt was just okay.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Hmm.  Bookmarked thread? Check..  A trip to Costco scheduled for next week?  Check..  Know what I’ll be cookin next weekend?  Oh yeah, baby!  

Thanks for sharing and thanks for doing the legwork @lousubcap and @Sea2Ski !
    Southwestern CT
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    I've been going to do this again, but haven't found the bellies at Costco as appealing lately. The first one I did was very lean and that made a big difference.

The cubes were like hunks of melt in your mouth rib meat. The latest bellies have been mostly fat.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Putting this on the to do list. Hopefully soon...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Nice cook!  It's a great recipe.  It helps to think of the recipe in 3 steps: smoking, tenderizing, then caramelizing and building the flavor/sauce. I did 20# of them a few weeks ago for a party...  Maybe I'll get off my butt and post the pix of it...
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    I tried your recipe today.

Thank-you! Thank-you! Thank you!

This was one of those "I can't believe I made this" moments.

Sorry, no pictures...I'm too busy gorging on pork candy. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    gratuitous bump @lousubcap , do you think one could Sous Vide ahead of time to cut time down on the smoker?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    I don't SV so I'm no help that way.  I would think you would end with a whole different flavor profile but that's just a guess.  Hopefully others will be along.  
  • lkapigian
    lousubcap said:
    I don't SV so I'm no help that way.  I would think you would end with a whole different flavor profile but that's just a guess.  Hopefully others will be along.  
    thanks @lousubcap , trying to prep a bunch of stuff a few days ahead, may smoke the belly for afew hours them SV and quench it...practice run in order
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    @lkapigian I made this recipe over the weekend. because of the size of the party and the food I  was cooking I did the first step, smoking the cubes, the day before. I put them into the pan with the butter and other ingredients and put it in the fridge overnight. I then brought it out an hour or so before I wanted to put it back on the grill to warm to room temperature and then finished them in the pan on the grill. Not sure this helps or not, it isn't SV, but it made my party day a little less hectic.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • lkapigian
    EggMcMic said:
    @lkapigian I made this recipe over the weekend. because of the size of the party and the food I  was cooking I did the first step, smoking the cubes, the day before. I put them into the pan with the butter and other ingredients and put it in the fridge overnight. I then brought it out an hour or so before I wanted to put it back on the grill to warm to room temperature and then finished them in the pan on the grill. Not sure this helps or not, it isn't SV, but it made my party day a little less hectic.
    Thanks @EggMcMic , so you did the full cook except the final glazing day before, that's doable as well, Thank You!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian