Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opening the bag

Options
JMCXL
JMCXL Posts: 1,524
How do you go about opening your bag of choice lump?
I usually grab a pair of scissors, I never mastered pulling that string and having it open and when I ripped it open it never goes well...

Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Knife.  Slice it open w/ a maniacal look on my face.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I think it’s @DoubleEgger that has this down to a science. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    I use my Hattori Hanzo sword.  Works like a champ.  String pulling is for Girl Scouts.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    You need a larger egg - toss a 20lber into an XXL and light the bag, it’s the starter.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    YouTube is your friend.

It’s not 100% because sometimes they are just sewn poorly or whatever, but it’s a real satisfying deal. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

The good folks at Rockwood say "Rockwood bags have a double string lockstitch with closing tape from a pneumatic sewing machine head.  Look for the side with two strings (not the single clean stitch), then go to the left side and pull the knot out.  Grab the string that is on your side of the bag and pull.  It will release that string from the other side of the bag."

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    I still cut, I don’t usually want the bag open all the way across.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options

The good folks at Rockwood say "Rockwood bags have a double string lockstitch with closing tape from a pneumatic sewing machine head.  Look for the side with two strings (not the single clean stitch), then go to the left side and pull the knot out.  Grab the string that is on your side of the bag and pull.  It will release that string from the other side of the bag."

Someone must have a video of this
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I agree with @JohnInCarolina, pulling strings is NOT manly.
    I use one of the following: my switchblade, Ninja shuriken throwing stars, kunai, M9 bayonet, Leatherman, karate, my figure 4 pin move, table saw, local saw mill, radial arm saw, sawzall, box cutter, shears, hedge trimmer, chainsaw (talk about a lot of fines) or when in total desperation, just have My Beautiful Wife do it.
    If there is a will, there is a way.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    I just pull the tape off the hole that Ace puts in the bags
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    I usually just grab the bag in a bearhug and rip it open with my teeth.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    Someone must have a video of this
    Someone posted a video on EweTube, "How to", and he plucked, and picked, and swore, and pulled some more, said a bad word and cut the bag open with a knife.
    I've been doing it right all along!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    If the video on YouTube is Shotgun Fred (bbq guru), then that's a single chainstitch.  So it's different than a two string lockstitch.  If i get around to it, ill make a video.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    I think it’s @DoubleEgger that has this down to a science. 
    Thanks. I haven’t used a knife in a long time. It’s super easy to open. 

Place bag at your feet with the front of the bag facing you. You are going to unravel the knot on your right side by simply pinching the knot and pulling it straight back. Two or three quick pinch and pulls and the knot will be unraveled. Grab the loose string and pull it and you are good to go. 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I call Chuck Norris on the phone and describe the bag to him. 

Boom! Opened. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Beer. I use beer.

When I find myself pondering the optimal method for opening a bag of lump, it means i have way too much time on my hands. And should be doing something more productive. Like how to get more beverages in me. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Marine Kabar knife. I like to sneak up on the unsuspecting bag of lump with the knife clenched firmly between my teeth. That way I have both hands free to wrestle the hapless bag of coal to the ground and quickly finish the job.