Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: So Disappointed

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
Stopped in Rocky Mount, NC for the night while on our way to Mixon’s class this weekend. Went to Prime Smokehouse for dinner based on Yelp reviews. Was just horrible:

Pulled Pork was mush from being held all day (I assume), and the brisket was crumbly and had no beef flavor at all. Don’t know why I keep trying BBQ restaurants - just keep getting disappointed. 
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Yeah, never had better pulled pork elsewhere than what I can produce at home so avoid at all costs.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Of course we all know we can cook better BBQ than restaurants with a few exceptions. I had to change my view on restaurant BBQ. I was searching for places to be impressed but now it’s just some food to fill a void. It’s like going to Wendy’s or Burger King. You know you aren’t going to be wowed going in. You know it’s not the best but you eat it anyway. 
  • Vegas Eggus
    Vegas Eggus Posts: 152
    Options
    I have stopped eating steak out as well. Haven't had close to what I can cook at home for much less. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never heard of anyone stopping in Rocky Mount for BBQ. Just down the road (about 20 mi) in Wilson, Bill Ellis and Parkers are supposed to be good. Never ate there though. Wilber's in Goldsboro too, but that's a bit off the interstate. Good que though. Been there a couple of times and would go again.

Sorry you were disappointed. Ask for recommendations next time.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Never heard of anyone stopping in Rocky Mount for BBQ. Just down the road (about 20 mi) in Wilson, Bill Ellis and Parkers are supposed to be good. Never ate there though. Wilber's in Goldsboro too, but that's a bit off the interstate. Good que though. Been there a couple of times and would go again.

We didn’t stop here for Que, we stopped here because it had a Marriott property. Will definitely ask for recommendations next time. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Should've stopped at Arby's. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 355
    Options
    We struggle to find good bbq anymore as well.  Flavors are muddled, consistency of the protein is fast food quality.  The egg has ruined us......... All is lost, yet gained!!!!!
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    I'm at the point I will not go out for BBQ, simple as that!! 
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Had some good Q at a place called Woodpecker's BBQ in St. Augustine recently for all my NE Florida Egghead friends.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    Never heard of anyone stopping in Rocky Mount for BBQ. Just down the road (about 20 mi) in Wilson, Bill Ellis and Parkers are supposed to be good. Never ate there though. Wilber's in Goldsboro too, but that's a bit off the interstate.
    There is also B's that is not too far from there in Greenville, NC.
    https://www.ourstate.com/a-day-at-bs-barbecue-greenville/

Raleigh, NC
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    You guys should try the Q that is available here in the UK.  We have a small place selling 'low & slow' pulled pork and brisket in our town.  I tried it once and it was very uninspiring.  While talking to them, it turned out that the meat was all oven cooked and the brisket was then pulled and covered with BBQ sauce.  I guess the BBQ sauce is supposed to be the magic ingredient, but that was all I could taste and the beef was dry, even though smothered in sauce!
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Hallelujah!
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options

Mmmmmm.....Wilber's. Haven't been there in a while. Might be a good weekend for a Roadtrip!

Never been to Rocky Mount. Wilson and Kinston have good choices.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    The funny part is we have a few good places for BBQ here in Durham, NC.  Picnic, The Pit, and Bullocks.  Never really liked Bullocks, The Pit is so so, IMHO Picnic is the best BBQ in Durham, except for mine of course!!
    Go Duke!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    The funny part is we have a few good places for BBQ here in Durham, NC.  Picnic, The Pit, and Bullocks.  Never really liked Bullocks, The Pit is so so, IMHO Picnic is the best BBQ in Durham, except for mine of course!!
    Go Duke!!
    Picnic is really good.  Wyatt does it right.

The other two are pretty average IMO.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    That’s N.C. Que for ya =)=)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    thetrim said:
    they have the meats!!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Ate at Ruth's Chris steakhouse last night. I honestly feel much better about my mediocore steaks. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.