Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Homemade Asado Cross? Or is there a better way?

Options
jeffwit
jeffwit Posts: 1,348
My son turns 16 in May, and he has requested that I cook a whole pig for his party. (I’m sure the reactions of his friends will be epic, but that will have to be a topic for another post.) 
I’ve been looking at different options, and wonder if an asado cross is the best way to go. But I’d really rather not drop $100 or more on a cross that I will rarely use. Is there a homemade option? I looked online and saw plans for a wooden one, which I could build, but sounds a little sketchy. Any ideas? I don’t have the ability to weld. 
Or is there a better option? I have an 8 ft. fire pit, but the walls are only 18” tall. 
I’m willing to listen. 
Jefferson, GA
XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
“Honey, we bought a farm.”

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Can you drill holes in mild steel?

If so, you can probably rig up something with just some bolts/u-bolts and no welding.

You could probably even rig up something with just rebar and rebar ties and no bolts or welding.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would go to Home Despot or Lowes and buy 2 x 10' sections of Unistrut (aka Superstrut).  Cut those and bolt together.   They make every type of bracket and clamp you can think of for those if you think you need them.

But you will also need a hacksaw and some large 1/2 to 5/8 nuts and bolts.  Should go together quick.  Stuff is insanely strong.

Wood is flammable.
    Options
    FWIW , have you looked at a large loaner/rentable pit? If not some cement blocks, some expanded metal make an easy reusable pit
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    My son turns 16 in May, and he has requested that I cook a whole pig for his party. (I’m sure the reactions of his friends will be epic, but that will have to be a topic for another post.) 
    I’ve been looking at different options, and wonder if an asado cross is the best way to go. But I’d really rather not drop $100 or more on a cross that I will rarely use. Is there a homemade option? I looked online and saw plans for a wooden one, which I could build, but sounds a little sketchy. Any ideas? I don’t have the ability to weld. 
    Or is there a better option? I have an 8 ft. fire pit, but the walls are only 18” tall. 
    I’m willing to listen. 
    An Asado cross will make an impression.  Bolts should work fine, though you can weld if you have a drunk friend that can weld.  If you do this, you will likely want to enhance one side of your pit to reflect some heat. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I've personally witnessed an engine hoist do the job.  Of course @20stone had to make Home Depot run for more chain and @caliking never left the courtyard but damn can he whip up some salsa/gremolata.  Might have just been a dream ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jeffwit
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    FWIW , have you looked at a large loaner/rentable pit? If not some cement blocks, some expanded metal make an easy reusable pit
    I already have a pretty large fire pit, it’s just not very tall. 

Maybe a way to rig something over that? I like the Silence of the Lambs impression of the cross, but practicality is important, too. 
    Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming. 
    Jefferson, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You could build up one side to make reflecting wall out of cinder blocks. Position the pig on a cross between the fire and wall , or keep the fire between the pig and the flip the pig around at some point to cook the other side. 

With the rig that @20stone came up with for the goat at BC4, it wasn’t too hard to flip the cross around. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Since you already have a fire pit, you may be able to refashion it into a pig pit. The ones made for BBQ camp are just cinder block pits with draft openings at both ends, drip trays under the pig to prevent grease fires and then the pig is on an expanded metal rack over the wood - covered with metal to reflect the heat. 

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • jeffwit
    edited March 2018
    Options
    About how high does the pig need to be above the fire? And are you flipping or covering with foil?
    Jefferson, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never done anything like what you want, but I wonder if you could hang it, either from a tree if a suitable branch is available, or perhaps set up a black pipe tripod.

Or maybe this and just rotate it from time to time...
    Not sure how to keep it from spinning on the spit. Drill a hole or two thru the pipe and run a bolt thru it?

As for rotating it, they cook whole hogs in a La Caja China (heat from above) and only flip it once. An occasional turn would probably work, no?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut