Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Another Shooting. Sad.

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Awful  We have a couple friends w kids at that school.  All three kids are safe, but it's awful to hear about another shooting.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Terrible.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    'Murica!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

•  Very sad. I have two very young kids and I can’t imagine them In this situation. I’m no security expert by any means and very well could be wrong in this thought but I have often considered teaching my kids to run like hell out of the school if this happens. Disregard a lockdown and break windows or doors if necessary. The concept of lockdown where my kids are intentionally locked inside a school where someone is shooting is very disturbing. I could be wrong but that is just my gut. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • SeanP
    SeanP Posts: 30
    HeavyG said:
    'Murica!
    YYou're welcome to leave at anytime...
  • I dont feel like this is an appropriate thing to joke about 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• HeavyG
    I dont feel like this is an appropriate thing to joke about 
    Who's making jokes?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• etherdome said:
     Very sad. I have two very young kids and I can’t imagine them In this situation. I’m no security expert by any means and very well could be wrong in this thought but I have often considered teaching my kids to run like hell out of the school if this happens. Disregard a lockdown and break windows or doors if necessary. The concept of lockdown where my kids are intentionally locked inside a school where someone is shooting is very disturbing. I could be wrong but that is just my gut. 
    While I understand the instinct, it’s important to remember that one of the purposes of lockdowns is to control the area and make it navigable for first responders.
  • Prayers for all involved. Very sad day
    LBGE
  • good point. And there’s no way that a complete evacuation wouldn’t be chaotic, possibly dangerous for students and more difficult for first responders. My gut still tells me to tell my own kids to do what it takes to get the hell out. Not sure if I will actually do that. Have a while to think about it since they are 3 and 7. 
    God bless the families involved in today’s tragedy. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Our school has a very coordinated plan with the city's police and fire, and it's practiced often...however, any intruder on to that campus would not make it very far with the measures in place.  No government red tape bs in private schools.  We may not have the tax base money, but parents and parish donate to protect and enrich when there's a need.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    If your kid is trying to get out, the only people wandering around in the hallways, courtyards, grounds of the school will be your child and the shooter.  Police show up ready to stop the shooter expecting that the only ones out will be the shooter/shooters - your child can become an accidental target.  Here in FL most schools are fenced and getting out of harms way by exiting the classroom can be made more difficult by the limited exits from the school.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Our prayers go out to all involved! 

Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    If your kid is trying to get out, the only people wandering around in the hallways, courtyards, grounds of the school will be your child and the shooter.  Police show up ready to stop the shooter expecting that the only ones out will be the shooter/shooters - your child can become an accidental target.  Here in FL most schools are fenced and getting out of harms way by exiting the classroom can be made more difficult by the limited exits from the school.  
    Depends on the setup and how the "intruder plan" is coordinated with the the local PD .  Also big diff with elementary vs high school or big vs little school.
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amp/kentucky-gunman-kills-parents-girlfriend-her-mom-taking-own-life-n847061

I live in small town USA and this just happened this past Saturday. The shooter was the nephew of a guy that works for me. 
  • Prayers for the families affected. Very sad.
    Dacula, GA       LG & MM BGE's   
  • HeavyG
    Saying **** like ‘Murica after a tragedy like this is ridiculous. 1st amendment free speech and all I get it but for fucks sake some **** just shot a bunch of kids. 
    No...what's ridiculous is that only in 'Murica are mass shooting and school shooting events a commonplace.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    And the only thing that is ever offered is thoughts and prayers because the NRA is Now Running America.

Can't imaging being the parent of a murdered child and hearing a bunch of 'thoughts and prayers' and waiting for the next one.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    HeavyG said:
    Saying **** like ‘Murica after a tragedy like this is ridiculous. 1st amendment free speech and all I get it but for fucks sake some **** just shot a bunch of kids. 
    No...what's ridiculous is that only in 'Murica are mass shooting and school shooting events a commonplace.
    These shootings are no longer a shock to anyone, and we all just acquiesce.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    AR-15 used. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • g8golfer
    Guy just killed 4 ppl in my home town and used a pistol 
  • Spaightlabs
    g8golfer said:
    Random mass shooting or murders of people he knew?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Not the time nor place but gun control is not the issue.

Mental Wellness is the problem. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• g8golfer
    g8golfer said:
    Random mass shooting or murders of people he knew?
    Ppl he knew but he also tried to kill random ppl while on the run. He left a note. Mental issues and drugs. Killed his parents and his gf and her mother then took his life. Tried to kill his son but he got away. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    This shooter has apparently studied other shootings and took it a step further by pulling the fire alarm guaranteeing there would be fish in the barrel.  Sad that so many of these shooters' parents don't know what is going on with their kids. 

• Spaightlabs
    ColtsFan said:
    Not the time nor place but gun control is not the issue.

Mental Wellness is the problem. 
    Not the time or place, but what are other countries doing about their mental health problems that they don't have mass casualty events?
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    onedbguru said:
    This shooter has apparently studied other shootings and took it a step further by pulling the fire alarm guaranteeing there would be fish in the barrel.  Sad that so many of these shooters' parents don't know what is going on with their kids. 

Press glamorizes these events with attention and spotlight- 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf