Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Jus happy to be here

FlyOverCountryFlyOverCountry Posts: 91
edited January 13 in EggHead Forum
Hi everybody!  I am a new egg guy and really excited to be here!  My wife got me a brand new large BGE just before XMAS and its been fun so far.  Not too many cooks cuz its been cold as all get out.  Just a "boston shoulder" so far or whatever there called.  It was good maybe a lil smokie.  Can't wait to get to know everyone here!  Jus call me Kevin!

Comments

• dmchicagodmchicago Posts: 1,044
    Looks amazing!

Can you share the details of your cook?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 6,328
    Way to jump in Kevin! Stick around here and you'll learn a ton of crap about food and grilling. Nothing but good peeps here. Welcome!
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,755
    edited January 13
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Off to a great start.  congrats on the cook.
    Props to SWMBO for the BGE.  All I can say is that the pay-back will be pricy but worth it.
    The search function here is a great initial information resource as is google and add egghead forum to your query.
    It is Friday night around here so I would suggest you just peruse a few threads to get a flavor for how this forum can take on a whole new persona under the cloud of adult supervisory beverages and friendly banter.  FWIW-
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • tml1230tml1230 Posts: 213
    Welcome from a relative newcomer myself.... Be prepared to laugh.a. Lot!
    learn a lot more about cooking on a BGE...and hide your wallet...these folks are really good at spending your money!
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • WoodchunkWoodchunk Posts: 638
    Nice cook
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 11,546
    Wow that looks awesome!  Welcome!
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

• FlyOverCountryFlyOverCountry Posts: 91
    edited January 13
    dmchicago said:
    Looks amazing!

You betcha! I put the meat on the Egg and smoked it! I think the thermo started at 200 or so but it was over 300 at the end. I finished a case of bud lite as it was cooking so don take my word for it.

@FlyOverCountry - I may not be known for much but a consistent theme throughout my life, "Life is too short for light/lite beer."
    However, I applaud your appreciation for SWMBO escape time and adult supervisory beverages.  No worries.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • jeffwitjeffwit Posts: 1,131
    dmchicago said:
    Looks amazing!

You betcha! I put the meat on the Egg and smoked it! I think the thermo started at 200 or so but it was over 300 at the end. I finished a case of bud lite as it was cooking so don take my word for it.

You’re going to fit in just fine around here. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 4 dogs, five cats. One overworked vacuum cleaner.
  • 500500 Posts: 2,722
    Welcome from Midlothian, Virginia!
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • lousubcap said:
    @FlyOverCountry - I may not be known for much but a consistent theme throughout my life, "Life is too short for light/lite beer."
    However, I applaud your appreciation for SWMBO escape time and adult supervisory beverages.  No worries.  

I cant drink a whole case of regular beer. It fills me up too much. What is a SWMBO?

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,633
    Welcome to the forum, Kev. 

Looks good!

• JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 5,677
    Welcome. Pork shoulder is still my favorite. Sooo much you can do with it...smells awesome cooking too. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
    SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed!  Many other acronyms fly around here, ask away.  
  • NC_EggheadNC_Egghead Posts: 536
    Looks like you hit it out of the park on your first cook. Nicely done. Welcome to the forum!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Welcome to the forum. There are some great folks around here with a wealth of knowledge. Never seen a question go unanswered. 
    Snellville, GA

• Welcome. 

And may God have mercy on your soul. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lousubcap said:
    I don know what you do with your wife, but I'm not into that kind of thing.
    @FlyOverCountry - noted.
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 11,546
    lousubcap said:
    No no.  It’s not a sexual thing.  Oh boy.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

• JohnnyTarheelJohnnyTarheel Posts: 5,136
    Welcome Kevin...  nice butt on that cook...  looking forward to your cooks...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SamIAm2SamIAm2 Posts: 757
    I first heard the term from a British TV program "Rumpole of The Bailey" starring Leo McKern. Program ran from 1978-1992. He raised one eyebrow when he used the term in conversation with peers if memory serves.

Nice cook and welcome Kevin.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • lousubcap said:
    Then I don get it.  Im not gonna "must obey" unless I'm all tied up. 
  • JohnnyTarheelJohnnyTarheel Posts: 5,136
    lousubcap said:
    Then you will fit right in here.....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 6,328
    lousubcap said:

• FockerFocker Posts: 8,255
    Nice post.
    Welcome to the playground.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lousubcap said:
    This comment is so golden that I can't tell whether it is genuine. Is this really you, @nolaegghead;)
  • lousubcap said:
    This comment is so golden that I can't tell whether it is genuine. Is this really you, @nolaegghead;)
    What?
  • lousubcap said:
    What?
    My mistake. Welcome aboard!
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 16,936
    Welcome. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL