Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gaskets

Options
I am a newbie with the Big Green Egg. I inherited a large one right after Christmas and it is in pretty sad shape.

So...it has no gaskets on it and I don't know how it was originally set up in that regard--this is the first Egg I have ever seen up close.

1. Did the cast iron vent cap (daisy wheel?) have a gasket between it and the neck of the dome? Do people who use these rigs ordinarily run a gasket there?
  2. Did the egg originally have two gaskets on the edge...one on the lip of the dome and one on the lip of the base?

I don't know the answers to these questions because there is little or no evidence to suggest one way or the other on my rig.  I am naturally looking to replace the gaskets and want the best seal and least amount of hassle/expense possible.

thoughts or advice appreciated...
Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I don't know of any eggs ever coming with a gasket on the the daisy wheel. Some people have put a gasket there. Not all eggs have a tight fit there, if you have a leak you may want to put one.
    Eggs come with gaskets on the top and bottom. Get a Rutland, the best gasket you can find, and you only need it on ones side. Most put it on the bottom. Someone (I forget who) recently said they put it on the dome. Reason being, you are more likely to have to change out the base of your egg than the dome, and if that happens you will not have to change the gasket again. RRP, a member of the forum sells Rutlands at cost, you may want to send him a message. 
    Welcome to the cult.
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    What do you mean by “sad shape..”?
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I don't know of any eggs ever coming with a gasket on the the daisy wheel. Some people have put a gasket there. Not all eggs have a tight fit there, if you have a leak you may want to put one.
    Eggs come with gaskets on the top and bottom. Get a Rutland, the best gasket you can find, and you only need it on ones side. Most put it on the bottom. Someone (I forget who) recently said they put it on the dome. Reason being, you are more likely to have to change out the base of your egg than the dome, and if that happens you will not have to change the gasket again. RRP, a member of the forum sells Rutlands at cost, you may want to send him a message. 
    Welcome to the cult.
    Thank you. The Rutland is what I'm looking at. But I worry that no matter what gasket I use my dome and base alignment (horizontally) may be enough out of whack that the dome will not seat flush on the base. Or pass the "dollar test." Eventually, I may need one of those new hinge bands.

My daisy wheel seems loose. First time I opened the dome I worried it would fall off. Of course it didn't (the dome didn't open as far as I expected) but that's why I wondered--if it's that loose (which may be perfectly normal, for all I know) won't it leak?
    Instagram
  • DWFII
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Fragmentary firebox, misalignment of the dome and base, cracked fire ring, appallingly rusted and degraded cooking grate (in some places it's half the diameter of the the original rungs),  wonky third party therm, no coneggtor or other critical accessories  and no gaskets. 

Instagram
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Regarding a gasket on the neck piece it has only been in the last 3 or 4 years that BGE started adding a gasket piece there. Thing is once you learn how to position your daisy so that it doesn't fly open nor fly off you don't really even need that gasket. Also you use the solid rain cap to snuff your fire not the daisy anyway. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Fragmentary firebox, misalignment of the dome and base, cracked fire ring, appallingly rusted and degraded cooking grate (in some places it's half the diameter of the the original rungs),  wonky third party therm, no coneggtor or other critical accessories  and no gaskets. 

Nothing a refurbishment can't conquer. 

New fire box, gasket, new thermometer, and grate and you should be set. 

Considering the entry price these days buying brand new, you should make out well with the replacement parts. 

Contact @RRP here about a Rutland gasket. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Work with @RRP   he has the rutland gaskets and knows all about the items you have discussed. He is very helpful.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    Work with @RRP   he has the rutland gaskets and knows all about the items you have discussed. He is very helpful.
    Absolutely! He is the man to work with...  He has  Intelligence and integrity ...can't go wrong!
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    There was a gasket on mine to keep the daisy wheel firmly in place.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DWFII
    Options
    RRP said:
    Regarding a gasket on the neck piece it has only been in the last 3 or 4 years that BGE started adding a gasket piece there. Thing is once you learn how to position your daisy so that it doesn't fly open nor fly off you don't really even need that gasket. Also you use the solid rain cap to snuff your fire not the daisy anyway. 
    What is the "solid rain cap"?

Is that the green ceramic (?) cap I sometimes see? Does it fit over the daisy wheel?

Any photos?

I saw another refurb that had a shiny steel cap that looked to function as the daisy wheel/vent/rain cap all in one.
    Instagram
  • RRP
    Options
    DWFII said:
    RRP said:
    What is the "solid rain cap"?

Is that the green ceramic (?) cap I sometimes see? Does it fit over the daisy wheel?

Any photos?

I saw another refurb that had a shiny steel cap that looked to function as the daisy wheel/vent/rain cap all in one.
    Yes that is the solid one piece ceramic cap. It doesn't go over the Daisy, but instead sits on the dome neck.
  • RRP
    Options
    Sent too soon - that shinny thing is a SmokeWare cap and replaces both the daisey and the rain cap.
  • DWFII
    Options
    RRP said:
    Sent too soon - that shinny thing is a SmokeWare cap and replaces both the daisey and the rain cap.
    Yes, that's the one. Thanks.

Tell me, Ron, (just because I'm a bit of a worry-wart...esp. on a meager fixed income), what will I do if I put on a Rutland gasket and it doesn't pass the dollar test or it leaks. I am sure you will do your best to help me and I know your instructions are very clear and complete but just for the calming effect...briefly tell me what my options are, if you will.
    Instagram
  • RRP
    Options
    Well, when I sell you that gasket for your Large for $11 I also send along a 2 page set of instructions. I've now sold 3,855 of them so far in the passed 15 years so I'm not really a fly by night scammer trying to rip you off for your "gamble of $11".

I also offer my help via email to solve problems that you may encounter after application of the Rutland. As you may have/or will read there are many eggers who have NO gaskets! There are also eggers without gaskets and with gaskets whose eggs still leak smoke, and some eggers who will say - "so what - it's a smoker!"

Since I can't see the condition of your free BGE then I can not assess, nor test the condition of the edges on your dome and base to see if the planes of them are out of whack! Out of whack COULD mean NO GASKET will solve the problem until the dome and base are corrected. Correction on OLDER eggs can be done but takes some effort.

And lastly - what some people fail to understand that even though a BGE is expensive when purchased brand new then even though they are ceramic they are NOT fine China! The bases and the domes are made separately by the hundreds NOT TOGETHER and then are paired up when packaging. Sometimes even the color of the two pieces MAY differ. It's not like they were cast as one piece and then separated.

Still want to gamble $11? If so you have my email address.
  • DWFII
    edited January 2018
    Options
    RRP said:
    Well, when I sell you that gasket for your Large for $11 I also send along a 2 page set of instructions. I've now sold 3,855 of them so far in the passed 15 years so I'm not really a fly by night scammer trying to rip you off for your "gamble of $11".

I also offer my help via email to solve problems that you may encounter after application of the Rutland. As you may have/or will read there are many eggers who have NO gaskets! There are also eggers without gaskets and with gaskets whose eggs still leak smoke, and some eggers who will say - "so what - it's a smoker!"

Since I can't see the condition of your free BGE then I can not assess, nor test the condition of the edges on your dome and base to see if the planes of them are out of whack! Out of whack COULD mean NO GASKET will solve the problem until the dome and base are corrected. Correction on OLDER eggs can be done but takes some effort.

And lastly - what some people fail to understand that even though a BGE is expensive when purchased brand new then even though they are ceramic they are NOT fine China! The bases and the domes are made separately by the hundreds NOT TOGETHER and then are paired up when packaging. Sometimes even the color of the two pieces MAY differ. It's not like they were cast as one piece and then separated.

Still want to gamble $11? If so you have my email address.

Please...I don't think you are a "fly by night scammer." I wouldn't be asking you, personally, if I thought that.  If I came across like that, I apologize (I'm 72 years old, I can do that...apologize I mean).

I don't know what I'm doing and I am exploring options and doing my research--my "due diligence", as who should say.

You know I asked something very like this in the thread "overbite/underbite"... but I didn't get a good explanation of how to adjust the bands to realign the dome with the base.

As for the "gamble" bit...again, I'm retired and on a very limited income. Every penny invested is a gamble and even though I got this free I'm still gonna be out $600+/- by the time I'm done (if...if, as a clueless newbie who doesn't even know what a solid rain cap is... I can pull it all off) and that's a substantial chunk of my SS.
    Instagram
  • RRP
    Options
    Well, youngster, I'm 73.5  =)

if I were you then before I laid out $600 I'd wait until I found an Eggfest near me and spend that much for a discounted brand new smaller BGE with a warranty! Then piece meal selling that freebie dome and base to offset your purchase! Brand new means warranty for life! And a warranty is WONDERFUL as buying an egg by pieces and parts is TOO expensive!

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Good luck whichever direction you go, but I agree with those who suggest if it's going to cost $600 to refurbish a used one, you might be able to score a once-used large BGE at an eggfest. Even at 72, you've got another 25 years or so of egging and to me the warranty is worth another $200-250 or so. Would hate to see a crack in the base or something like that screw this up for you after putting all that work into it.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Easy to test the dome base alignment, loosen the bands with the dome closed, have some one hold the dome in place, and retighten to 120 in-pounds. ( 9 times out of 10 the misallignment is gone). 
    I’m a believer in using food safe gaskets, my MBGE has a five year old nomex on it now, with no real sign it needs to be replaced. I like a gasket on dome and base, easy on the probe cables when using a grid level or food probe for temp alerts. Lots of folks use Rutland wood stove gaskets, they will last about forever in the egg. Good luck and welcome!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RockyTopDW
    Options
    There are quite a few of us running with no gasket.  Mine burned off years ago & I never replaced it.  I’ve had no problems retaining temp.  Just something to consider.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Seems fitting that 2017 should end with a friggin gasket discussion.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DWFII
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Good luck whichever direction you go, but I agree with those who suggest if it's going to cost $600 to refurbish a used one, you might be able to score a once-used large BGE at an eggfest. Even at 72, you've got another 25 years or so of egging and to me the warranty is worth another $200-250 or so. Would hate to see a crack in the base or something like that screw this up for you after putting all that work into it.

I've lived around here (the Highlands of Central Oregon)  for almost fifty years and I've never even heard of an Eggfest, not even in Portland.

Frankly, and no disrespect intended, I suspect I'd be more likely to see a KJ fest here.

I started out jonesing for a Kong ($699.00) and ended up buying an Akorn...which I've sent back twice due to packing, shipping and build quality. Just sent the last of these back last week when, out of the blue sky, I was gifted the BGE. Wanted one of these for years but it was always like wanting a Masarati or a late 1943-early '44 M1 carbine or a white linen Anderson suit.

Lads, against all expectations and all reason or logic, I've got an Egg...in hand--you'll have to pry my cold, dead fingers from the handle =) ...and even if it takes me a couple of years I'm gonna refurb it.
    Instagram
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I wish you all the best. I hope you'll update us with progress. Also, I've looked at the KJs at my local Ace and don't see how I would be any less happy with one of those.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DWFII
    Options
    I wish you all the best. I hope you'll update us with progress. Also, I've looked at the KJs at my local Ace and don't see how I would be any less happy with one of those.

Thanks.

Yeah, I was looking at a used KJ Classic on Craigslist for six bills but it was over in Boise but I didn't have any way to haul it and and wasn't up for breaking it down not knowing what I was doing.
    Instagram
  • DWFII
    Options
    Easy to test the dome base alignment, loosen the bands with the dome closed, have some one hold the dome in place, and retighten to 120 in-pounds. ( 9 times out of 10 the misallignment is gone). 
    Good luck and welcome!
    Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

It's how...and what nuts, etc....to loosen that I'm wondering about.

Instagram
  • DWFII
    Options
    Is there any way to ask if anyone is offering for sale a used but essentially intact firebox (perhaps replaced under warranty), grate, etc.,  for a large BGE? I don't see a classifieds thread (hope I'm not violating rules...pardon me if so)
    Instagram
  • SemolinaPilchard
    SemolinaPilchard Posts: 1,282
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I made a raised grid setup so I could elevate the cooking grid for cooking direct. If you made one like this, and drill some holes on the uprights about halfway and put some long bolts through from outside to in, I don't see why you couldn't hang a round baking sheet and use that for indirect cooking instead of a plate setter. Amazon sells a round 16 inch sheet for about 15 bucks that should work. I use one in my large sometimes indirectly. The plate setter, where the legs aren't, is only 13 inches in diameter, so some of the sheet gets hit with direct heat, and no damage yet. As long as you cook at 350 degrees or less I think the sheet will hold up.
    How busted up is your firebox? I have seen one on the forum that was in at least ten pieces that still works. A cracked fire ring usually works fine as well.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    As for the gasket I believe @henapple and @dyal_sc have options that would be your most economical way to go 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Good luck and welcome!
    Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

It's how...and what nuts, etc....to loosen that I'm wondering about.

There are a few video's on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=adjust+bge+lid
  • DWFII
    Options
    @Tony_T,

Thank you...that's a great resource!
    Instagram