Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Prime Rib, Apple Pie, and a daughter with a new camera to take good pics.

Options
These pics are better than I usually do thanks to my daughter and her new Canon Rebel that has a setting for food pics. A good friend cooked the prime rib on his large BGE that he bought at the Salado Eggfest (the last of its name).  

And his his wife makes the best apple pie in the world. 

The prime rib was roasted to a temp of 118.  Egg was about 450 when he put it on but he closed down vents quite a bit. The temp fell consistently during the cook.  It was at about 290 when we pulled the meat off. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Another beautiful Rib Roast. I know it was enjoyed.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Beautiful cook right there. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Yessir looks good 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Beautiful rib roast and pie, love the DOF on the first photo.
    canuckland
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Thanks all. Yes @Canugghead, that first pic is the one that is magazine quality. My daughter doesn’t claim any expertise related to the outcome. She just says that she set it on the “food” setting and took the pic. 

The pic through the wine glass while my buddy was slicing the meat was her shot at being artsy. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks all. Yes @Canugghead, that first pic is the one that is magazine quality. My daughter doesn’t claim any expertise related to the outcome. She just says that she set it on the “food” setting and took the pic. 

The pic through the wine glass while my buddy was slicing the meat was her shot at being artsy. 
    Whilst I claim no eye for art, this was my favorite. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Quite a meal!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice looking meal!  I had to do a double take on the wine glass picture.  Pretty creative.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    :clap:
    All looks great, but right now I'd like that pie here in front of me please.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Love the photos and food! Looks like a great time.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks all. It was indeed a great time and great food. 

@DMW, you’d have to fight my whole family to get to that pie. We brought about half of it home because we were so full we didn’t have room for much dessert. When I suggested I might take the leftover pie to work with me today, I was met with death threats. 

San Antonio, TX

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    good looking grub.  great pics
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great looking cook and pics...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    very nice cook and pix!  I like that wine glass shot!  (I can't wait for one of the heathens around here to try a similar pic through an empty beer bottle)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    What a feast!  It all looks delicious.  Nice photos too.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Great cook and result.  As noted above, those are great and magazine quality photos.  Make you want to eat the monitor.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks all. I guess I need to not let my daughter go back to law school after the holidays so she can stay home and take pictures of my cooks. 

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very nice. 

I convinced SWMBO that I needed a fancy camera to take good pics of caliprince (before he was born). Ended up taking more pics of food than him for a while. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Yeah, @caliking, I got an old Canon Rebel (my wife's #2 camera that my daughter has been using on occasion) in this deal so I hope to improve my photo game as well.  In the process I got out my old Pentax K-1000 to show my kids.  It shouldn't have surprised me but it wasn't the fact that everything is manual that bothered them - it was that you didn't get immediate feedback on the image quality because you had to wait until the film was developed that really threw them for a loop.

I should have thought of the "take pictures of the children" angle years ago.  

San Antonio, TX