Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Pellet Grill Owners Enter—At Own Risk of Shame!

Options

I have been contemplating a Traeger. I have never used one. I love my Eggs (2 Larges, 1 MM). But as we all know they are more art than science. 

I have a newborn, a wife who could burn water, a 3 year old that never stops destroying $hit the second we take our eye off her, and a startup business that is consuming most of my time.  There are days I wish I could just walk outside, turn a switch, and come back in 45 minutes. (While Salma Hayek hands me a bourbon and rubs my feet)

Sound magical, right? So what’s the downside? 

I’ve seen reviews saying they have gotten cheap and flimsy. They rust and I have an uncovered cooking space in Tennessee. 

What ssy you???

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    forgive my ignorance but Are pellet cookers actually grills? I thought they were all offset type? I think a gasser with an amaze n smoker setup would  be what you are looking for
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Seriously give the search function here a look with "pellet grills" as the subject.  Just did and many threads pop up as they have been a recent topic of discussion.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    So your wife never reads your posts? I'm retired and no longer have those time constraints. But can't you light the lump and go inside until it is ready? Maybe leave a remote temperature probe in there so that you can know if it is about to go the Full Etna while you are shaking DP on some chicken? Formula and pampers will start eating into your funds pretty quick. That said, maybe a Blackstone and or a gasser?
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I looked at pellet grills for a bit. Leaned heavily toward the Rec Tec Mini. I like the way it looks and like the idea of how the pellet grill works, plus the ease of the whole thing. I showed it to my wife, who quickly pointed out the two kamados, Blackstone, two gassers and two charcoal grills and educated me on the difference between want and need. She did say to go ahead and get it if I really want it, but by then I did not really want it. 
    The Traeger does look interesting and easy to use. Ever see the pink pig version? It looks fun, and a bit silly, kinda like me I suppose.
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    Will a pellet grill allow more time for reading and posting on the bge forum, that's the question? B)
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Just did a quick check on the Rec Tec website and the mini is nowhere to be found, so I don't know if it is discontinued or what.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    My two cents. If it's me, I would go with a Blackstone or a gasser. They are fast and require little supervision, like a pellet grill, but allow you versatility that you would not have with a pellet grill.
    Stillwater, MN
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Had 3 Traeger grills over past 14 years.  The older made in USA ones were decent, but my last one (Chinese) was junk.  Dealer repaired it several times under the 3 year warranty, and he even complained about quality.  Sold it and bought a Yoder YS640.  That grill was built for a lifetime of hard use and competition. Quality craftsmanship.
    Seems like I got spoiled with the quality of food coming off my egg, and was only using the Yoder for ribs and hamburgers.  Darn fan on the pellet smoker really dried out the food. Sold it, bought a Blackstone, and use it when I want a quick meal, and weekend breakfasts.
    Wife liked the pellet grills for bacon, but the Blackstone does that even better and cleans up much easier.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @lousubcap I’ll take a look when I get to my office computer. I’m always on my phone and the mobile site doesn’t have a search function. 

@Woodchunk solely reserved for work and when I’m stuck watching Paw Patrol =)=)  (like I am now with a pukey kid at 4am) 

@StillH2OEgger I have a Blackstone and I HATED my gas grills. @Gulfcoastguy I’m thinking more along the lines of an oven. Just to have some more depth in my outdoor setup. Turn it on, toss it in, grab it when done. (And she knows she can’t cook, that’s why I’m still around.)

South of Nashville, TN

• JefCB01
    Options
    Have a Large BGE and a rec Tec mini. Enjoy both. Prefer the egg but if I need to do something I can set and forget (have newborn twins so it gets crazy) I’ll us the rec Tec. Also have been using both for the same cook. Did prime rib low and slow on rec Tec to temp and had the egg hotter than hell ready to sear the roast immediately rather than pulling and waiting to egg to heat up. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If I may echo @littlerascal56
    My only experience with Traeger, is that they are easy to work on, easy to repair. My next door neighbor had a Traeger, and the thing had broken down on numerous occasions, which I fixed. 
    One of the things I had found, is the Traeger did not do very well in outdoors here in Louisville, where the humidity is always very high. Rust was a problem with his, as well as the feeder would, jam, the pellet storage box would let moisture in, and the fan would stop working almost like clockwork, every second or third cook, about an hour into the cook. The general construction seemed to be flimsy, but I am not sure if that was the way it was assembled after purchase, or it was delivered that way. I dunno.
    The frustration level was high for my neighbor, and eventually his Traeger found it's way to the curb, after my neighbor received the XL (like mine). His wife finally purchased him a BGE Because she saw, and they had, many a meal cooked off my Egg. ( I actually had to cook the food for his dinner party because his Traeger broke down during the cook )
    He has since moved, took the XL with him. He told me, there is not a better cooker than the BGE.
    I will also say he was not the greatest cook, and his experience on outdoor cooking went from a Weber charcoal, to Weber Gas, then he bought a Traeger and the last thing he cooked with was the Egg, so the scope was limited.
    Of the folks I know that have a Traeger, only one, (who has made a very recent purchase at Costco) is as happy with his cooker, as I am with my egg.
    Ignorance is bliss in my case. I know what I got, and I make concessions for its shortcomings (time) because I get better food off of my eggs than I have ever cooked on anything else, or better food than I can get in a restaurant. For us, the egg and cast iron is tough to beat. Fortunately, for me, I have no reason to try anything else, as you have found you must, with your work and keeping your tribe fed. 
    Best of luck, in your quest.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @YukonRon that was my biggest concern was adding tech in a humid environment. I don’t want something I have to put in my garage and wheel out and covering grills in the South is a kiss of death (and yellow jackets) I’m a pretty handy guy but the idea here is convenience. If I have to spend 5 or 6 Sunday’s a year yanking our that auger and re-calibrating the thing it does me no good. 

I questioned if I used it enough if it would mitigate some of those problems. 

Also so why is everyone awake right now? Ron, is this another one of your damn Super Moon night?!?

South of Nashville, TN

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @YukonRon that was my biggest concern was adding tech in a humid environment. I don’t want something I have to put in my garage and wheel out and covering grills in the South is a kiss of death (and yellow jackets) I’m a pretty handy guy but the idea here is convenience. If I have to spend 5 or 6 Sunday’s a year yanking our that auger and re-calibrating the thing it does me no good. 

I questioned if I used it enough if it would mitigate some of those problems. 

Also so why is everyone awake right now? Ron, is this another one of your damn Super Moon night?!?
    No, just too many years of 2 hour sleep cycles and 4 am wake ups. Since then I added insomnia to the mix....
    Hope the baby is doing well, and that the puking from your other bundle of joy gets better....

You are a good father and husband. I respect that deeply.

Regarding use of my neighbors Traeger; he tried to use it often, but with the problems, he just did not use it much after the first several times he had issues.
    Kind of felt sorry for the guy.....before he bought the Traeger, his wife was wanting him to get the BGE....so you know it got a little tense around his home, every time he had a problem...he wanted it to be different and really bought in on the Traeger road show at Costco.
    He hated finding out its one limitation, which is when he found out it did not do pizza, or so he had said to me after he got his egg.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • distanceman
    Options
    Not that I want a pellet smoker, but I understand what you mean when you say sometimes you just want/need something easy and hands off. 

Ive thought about this lately, and that's why I bought a temp controller (SMOBOT). After a few uses, I'd say it makes the Egg a rough equivalent to the pellet experience. Load up Lump, light one fire starter. Ten mins later, fire up SMOBOT, close the lid, and come back out when it settles to temp -- SMOBOT does the rest. 

Have you considered this this as an option?

mike 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My buddy looked at all of them and ended up with a Louisiana Grill. He loves it and says it’s well made. You might want to take a gander at them as well. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Look at green mountain grills also. I bought one last week as a fun project used for $100. The motor is messed up. Found a dealer that was willing to replace the guts for the cost of parts only, my guess is to build loyalty for the next purchase. So I will be in it for $200. I have several friends with this brand and they love it. I know some people that recommend the campchef pellet line also. 

But I agree with some of the others, if you’re looking for an easy grill, a gasser cannot be beat. I don’t consider a pellet cooker a grill, more of a smoking oven. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    Take a look at https://www.smokinbrothers.com/

These are the best pellet smokers I've seen.  Very heavy duty.  Not many folks on the competition circuit around here use pellets, but the ones that do run a Smokin Bros rig. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    How about a Pitmaker Safe? It's no pellet pooper but it is somewhat set it and forget it. Also you can use a Guru or Stoker for more control.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I like the egg because I don't like overly smoky tasting food. Which is what I generally get at friends with pellet smokers. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I like the egg because I don't like overly smoky tasting food. Which is what I generally get at friends with pellet smokers. 
    One of the biggest complaints against pellet cookers is the lack of smoke flavor. LOL
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    @GrillSgt that’s kinda what I was wondering. I’m not a lover of heavy smoked food, most people on reviews complained of not enough smoke which is why I am considering but like I said, I’ve never used one. 

@stlcharcoal @cookingdude555 @DoubleEgger @nolaegghead @epcotisbest @JefCB01 @hotch thanks for the suggestions. Time to do some research. 

@cookingdude555 I should have clarified that in the title. I’m looking more for an outside oven than a “grill”. I can have the Minimax ready to grill in 10 minutes. 

South of Nashville, TN

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited December 2017
    Options

Traeger does sell a TON of their cookers.  We have a huge Kansas distributor here in Hays, and at least 10 dealers in town.  The distributor has a showroom and stocks every part, rub, and accessory made. It's 3 miles from my house, and I have installed quite a few auger motors, hot rods, and control boards from his stock. Treagers are easy to work on, as @YukonRon mentioned.  They work OK if you keep them stored inside when not used. Keeping them outside (even covered) is a sure recipe for swelled pellets, jammed augers, and rust.

And understand that if you cook in <30 degree weather, it's hard to get them over 350 deg.  And they can't be in the wind, or you risk a backfire going up the auger shaft and catching the whole damn pellet hopper on fire.  Have seen that happen a lot...what a mess. See the video's on YouTube under "pellet hopper fire".

If they re-designed their smokers so they were not augering the pellets 18" to the center pot, and just augered a few inches (per Yoder), they could eliminate the swolen pellets and the backfire issue.

My Yoder would easily hit 500+ degrees, and you could remove the diffuser plate and sear a steak on the left side, and keep things indirect on the right at a lower temp.  I think the Cookshack PG500 is similar in that way (has the 3 zone cooking areas), but in stainless. 

• kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    I would look at Yoder for a pellet smoker. Just another opinion 
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I have 3 eggs at home and love them. We bought a Yoder YS640 with the competition cart at work and use it for large barbeques. I just did 15 slabs of ribs on Friday and they turned out great. It has been a GREAT smoker and has a large capacity. That being said I still prefer the eggs but the Yoder is a good setup and turns out some good food. They are also built really well. 
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I have been contemplating a Camp Chef Woodwind pellet cooker with propane sear box. Like you I want a set it and forget it wood fired oven to complement my gasser, LBGE and Blackstone Griddle. I like the features and price point of the Camp Chef. 
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    What about a new wife?

Joking of course. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook