Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Tried the APL Beef Tenderloin - one issue

run53run53 Posts: 108
I did a beef tenderloin on the BGE last night. The end results were great using the APL recipe. I had only one issue that I'm trying to figure out. Since I am a newbie to the BGE and I was having guests, I decided to forward sear the tenderloin on my gasser then move it to indirect on the BGE. The problem I had was with the sear.

When I seared it on the gasser, all the rub stuck to the grates when I turned it. I probably made a rookie mistake somewhere along the line with the sear. I put it on and left it alone for a couple of minutes....maybe I should have waited longer? or perhaps my grates weren't hot enough? I didn't oil my grates...maybe I should have done that? 

Any ideas as to what caused this? Like I said, the end result was great but I feel like it could have been a better crust if the sear went better.

Thanks

Large BGE - 2017
PSWoo with extention
Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass

Comments

• Did you put any oil on the meat after applying the rub?  
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

• run53run53 Posts: 108
    Did you put any oil on the meat after applying the rub?  
    No. I followed the APL recipe. It said to put the paste on, then the rub. So that's what I did. 
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • run53 said:
    Did you put any oil on the meat after applying the rub?  
    No. I followed the APL recipe. It said to put the paste on, then the rub. So that's what I did. 
    I'm not sure where you found the recipe, but in the copy of the Serious BBQ book that I have, it calls for putting canola oil on after the rub.  

"If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • run53 said:
    Yeah, sorry.  Looks like he cribbed it from the book and left out the canola oil step. 

APL's recipes pretty consistently call for adding oil to the protein before throwing it on a hot grill.  

Anyway, now you know what to do next time!

• GoooDawgsGoooDawgs Posts: 654
    edited December 2017
    @JohnInCarolina I have never tried that before - makes sense though.  So you just put the rub on the protein, spray or rub it with canola oil (will EVOO work?) and then sear?  Does the oil help the sear form a better crust?  I've always been told to pat the meat dry before the sear, so perhaps I'm missing out on something...   Thanks man
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
    run53 said:
    Yeah, sorry.  Looks like he cribbed it from the book and left out the canola oil step. 

APL's recipes pretty consistently call for adding oil to the protein before throwing it on a hot grill.  

Anyway, now you know what to do next time!
    Thanks!!! I will try the oil after the rub when I make it on Xmas. 
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • GoooDawgs said:
    @JohnInCarolina I have never tried that before - makes sense though.  So you just put the rub on the protein, spray or rub it with canola oil (will EVOO work?) and then sear?  Does the oil help the sear form a better crust?  I've always been told to pat the meat dry before the sear, so perhaps I'm missing out on something...   Thanks man
    Canola has a higher smoke point than EVOO, so it’s better to use that if you have it.

I think the main thing it does is to simply prevent the meat from sticking.  It may also help with the sear itself, yes. 

• ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 3,830
    I'd add that it sounds like you didn't give the gasser enough preheat time. A very hot grate won't stick nearly as bad.
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL / Small Green Eggs
    I'd add that it sounds like you didn't give the gasser enough preheat time. A very hot grate won't stick nearly as bad.
    yeah...probably. it was cold out and I only let the gasser run for about 15 minutes. It didn't sizzle when i put the beef on.
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 3,830
    run53 said:
    yeah...probably. it was cold out and I only let the gasser run for about 15 minutes. It didn't sizzle when i put the beef on.
    Then that definitely contributed significantly to the sticking.
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL / Small Green Eggs